Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 11:27 AM   #4181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW is currently engaged in preparing a "sequential synopsis" (is that redundant?) of all the procedures, hospital visits, etc, since this ("I could have done without it") medical involvement began around three months ago.

(She has to do the compiling because I was 'out of it' for much of the time.)

But that's not the 'peeve', (more of a "bring you down to earth observation" than a peeve):

I noted that "It's a sad state when you know the names of more doctors, nurses (I always attempt to remember the names of every nurse, etc, that administers to me, so that I can thank them personally), doctors' receptionists, than you do of people outside the medical profession".

Maybe not quite, but I'm sure you might get the point.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2019, 12:46 PM   #4182
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post

I noted that "It's a sad state when you know the names of more doctors, nurses (I always attempt to remember the names of every nurse, etc, that administers to me, so that I can thank them personally), doctors' receptionists, than you do of people outside the medical profession".
There is an old joke:
You know you are getting old when every name in your address book ends in "MD"
Old 05-25-2019, 12:56 PM   #4183
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
There is an old joke:
You know you are getting old when every name in your address book ends in "MD"
Ain't that the truth!

Old 05-25-2019, 01:09 PM   #4184
Recycles dryer sheets

Today's pet peeve is people letting their pit bulls run loose to attack bicyclers. And today's pit bull was introduced to Fox brand pepper spray.
Animal control was also contacted, but I've never known of any action being taken. Thus the need for pepper spray. Fox spray is a show stopper, btw.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Old 05-25-2019, 01:17 PM   #4185
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
Today's pet peeve is people letting their pit bulls run loose to attack bicyclers.
Always mystified me as to why dog owners don't take their dogs to training classes, and reinforce the training afterward - life is so much easier with a trained dog.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:01 PM   #4186
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
Since we recently moved we have started grocery shopping at a Winn Dixie. I am already noticing a tendency that more than a few of the advertised "special sale price" items are out of stock, even when we arrive mid morning of the first day of the sale. It seems the store does not necessarily anticipate increased sales volume. Either that or it is just a ploy to draw you into the store.

I am getting a little tired of having to go to customer service for a rain check about every two out of three visits to the store. Customer service usually has a much longer line than the check out lines.
Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding! Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 05-25-2019, 02:08 PM   #4187
Recycles dryer sheets

I just came back from walmart and Aldis.

People blocking doors and aisles, one lady managed to block the exit door, where does she think i was headed with a cart full of grocerys in the cart. Scanning took like 15 seconds per item.

Aldis - people who suck checking out, they had to open up 2 more checkouts cause this lady was slow.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:28 AM   #4188
Give me a forum ...

Some forums are ruined by one poster who is unpleasant and jumps on every single post as soon as it appears. I've seen that in a number of places.

We're lucky that we don't have that here—and/or fortunate to have good moderators. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:31 AM   #4189
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Always mystified me as to why dog owners don't take their dogs to training classes, and reinforce the training afterward - life is so much easier with a trained dog.

Dogs should not be allowed to run free. Indoors, or outdoors in a fenced yard, or on a leash. It’s the law around here, not that some feel free to ignore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Some forums are ruined by one poster who is unpleasant and jumps on every single post as soon as it appears. I've seen that in a number of places.

We're lucky that we don't have that here—and/or fortunate to have good moderators. Thanks.

OH YEAH?

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 05-26-2019, 12:14 PM   #4190
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Dogs should not be allowed to run free. Indoors, or outdoors in a fenced yard, or on a leash. It’s the law around here, not that some feel free to ignore...
For convenience sake, By Laws, I believe, are almost always blanket coverage, so they opt for "You can't" - but, if you've ever watched Border Collie trials or Schutzhund it's evident that a well trained dog is more under control than an untrained one on a leash that almost rips its owner's arm out of their socket.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:11 PM   #4191
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Hey, a little empathy here, ivinsfan...
I feel Texas Proud's pain. Went to the grocery store and saw that the 40 oz bag of Hershey's Kisses were on clearance (25% off) and were destined to never show up again. I, with the duchess of redduck, bought 5 of the 6 bags that were left. Couldn't reach the 6th bag way back on the top shelf.
For those of us who crave closure: We went to the same grocery store today and that 6th bag of Hershey's Kisses was still on the top shelf. While we were staring up at it, some tall guy came by and handed it to us. And, it was 50% off. (Not the tall guy, the bag of candy).

I think that 6th 40 oz. bag might label us as being a preppers.

We also bought a 40 oz. bag of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups at 50% off, but I didn't think it was worth mentioning.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:47 PM   #4192
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For convenience sake, By Laws, I believe, are almost always blanket coverage, so they opt for "You can't" - but, if you've ever watched Border Collie trials or Schutzhund it's evident that a well trained dog is more under control than an untrained one on a leash that almost rips its owner's arm out of their socket.
Very true, but in my experience, well trained dogs are the exception, not the rule. More common are surly mutts carrying out their owners' fantasies of petty aggression to total strangers. These dogs must be dealt with and unfortunately pay the price for their owners' ignorance and sly malice.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:23 PM   #4193
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Today's pet peeve is people letting their pit bulls run loose to attack bicyclers. And today's pit bull was introduced to Fox brand pepper spray.
Animal control was also contacted, but I've never known of any action being taken. Thus the need for pepper spray. Fox spray is a show stopper, btw.
I guess that is my pet peeve also.

Today we went for a walk in our neighborhood, frankly it's a nice area.
I put my pepper spray in 1 pocket, and my easy open knife in the other, in case some dog runs at us.

If I had a license, I'd just carry my gun, and try to remember to only shoot the dog.

If anyone has seen those online videos of a pit bull running across the street and attacking someone, they would know the danger.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:48 AM   #4194
Give me a forum ...

People who repeatedly ask on FB for your new address, when they have zero intention of writing, let alone visiting or sending something. They just want to look up how much you paid so they can criticize. Yes I am thinking about specific people, not everyone.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:02 AM   #4195
Administrator

I cannot figure out why anyone else would care what I paid for my house. I don't care what they paid. I'm happy with my choice and I assume they are happy with theirs.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:46 AM   #4196
Recycles dryer sheets

What is your pet peeve of the day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
The opioid epidemic. Dear lord what did I do other than take my medicine as directed. Now I get 50% of the dose I've always required and get to suffer. For lords sake its 2019 and I'm going around like it's 900AD looking for plants and herbs to help my intolerable pain.

+1 My horse bucked me off a couple of years ago and I had a lot of pain in my L shoulder area. Went to urgent care and, following review of the xrays, it was diagnosed as muscle strain and I was given a few muscle relaxants. I continued to have pain for weeks and at one point visited the clinic at work and requested something for it. No go. I had absolutely no history of previous pain medication requests.

Finally went to ortho for 2nd opinion, they did more xrays and discovered I had a broken collarbone (there was still a fair amount of swelling in the area so I never saw the broken bones) and that it was “healing nicely”.

People say pain medication is too readily available - my experience is that I couldn’t get it when I needed it. Granted, the misdiagnosis didn’t help and I suppose that’s one of the problems with pain - that there isn’t necessarily clear physical evidence correlating to an expected pain level.

Not to make light of the devastating effects of opioid addiction, but I found myself wondering if I could more easily locate some pain medication on the “street”.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:17 AM   #4197
Give me a forum ...

We think along the same lines, but certain people are known to be a) competitive ("What idiots the Amethysts are...look what they paid for that house" or else "Poor Amethyst, she really got took") b) fond of criticizing others, and c) weirdly full of opinions about other people's houses, what they paid for them, how they've chosen to decorate them, etc. etc. I know this because of the way they've talked about other people, and their homes, in front of me.

It's also insincere of them to act like they "need" my home address, when none of them have sent so much as a Christmas card in 20 years.

So, that's off my chest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I cannot figure out why anyone else would care what I paid for my house. I don't care what they paid. I'm happy with my choice and I assume they are happy with theirs.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:48 AM   #4198
Recycles dryer sheets

A brief public service announcement on pepper spray: when you are confronted with an aggressive dog (or aggressive anything, I suppose), you would be wise to consider wind direction. If didn’t and in the process experienced how very effective it was.

It’s only one data point but it appears an aggressive dog will retreat in the presence of a writhing, gasping, screaming human. So, if either you OR the dog receives the pepper spray, it appears effective. It’s just a matter of what sort of role you wish to play on the encounter.

Quote:
Old 05-27-2019, 12:12 PM   #4199

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskyk View Post
when you are confronted with an aggressive dog
Another option is ultrasound. I used to run in a neighborhood with a couple of overly enthusiastic dogs, and I carried one of these:
Dog Dazer II Ultrasonic Dog Deterrent

I only had to use it a couple of times, but it seemed to work well. They stopped and backed off.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:33 PM   #4200
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
We think along the same lines, but certain people are known to be a) competitive ("What idiots the Amethysts are...look what they paid for that house" or else "Poor Amethyst, she really got took") b) fond of criticizing others, and c) weirdly full of opinions about other people's houses, what they paid for them, how they've chosen to decorate them, etc. etc. I know this because of the way they've talked about other people, and their homes, in front of me.

It's also insincere of them to act like they "need" my home address, when none of them have sent so much as a Christmas card in 20 years.

So, that's off my chest!
Most of us who don't use Fakebook don't have these kinds of annoyances. It works!