Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Tom, I really love that you had no idea that today was release day for the iPhone 6!!
LOL--and I'd imagined that there couldn't be a person on earth who didn't know!
Um, there were at least two of us....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #422
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
There were free snacks! I would've gone for the free snacks if it was within walking distance.
Rice Krispies Treats bars and Starbucks coffee. Old codgers can exist on that alone!

Old 09-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #423

I still have my iPhone 1 that DS gave me a few years back. I use it as an internet device, not as a phone. I am 5 generation removed from the latest and it's no wonder I can't install any new apps. That's my pet peeve of the day - Apple's strategy of making older apps obsolete. Then again, who needs one more gadget when there is whole life to live (traveling, golfing, watching movies, ....)?
Old 09-19-2014, 03:58 PM   #424
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
And the same idiots with dogs who don't clean up after them. I have a dog. I carry plastic bags and pick up after my dog. I am constantly amazed that there are so many dog owners out there that think the rest of us (and our dogs) want to walk through a minefield of their dog's poo. And then people wonder why some places aren't "dog-friendly"......
Yeah, one of my pet peeves as well! One day I was looking out the window of my house and a neighbor was walking her dog and her dog took a dump on my lawn. I went outside and asked the neighbor to pick up after her dog and she said "well, it will just dissolve into your lawn". I replied, "then let it dissolve into YOUR lawn". I asked again if she could clean up after her dog. She went home to get a baggie to pick it up. The whole time she acted like I had done something wrong. Geez! C'mon lady, get some manners!
Old 09-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #425
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
.........The whole time she acted like I had done something wrong. Geez! C'mon lady, get some manners!
You meanie.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #426

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
Yeah, one of my pet peeves as well! One day I was looking out the window of my house and a neighbor was walking her dog and her dog took a dump on my lawn. I went outside and asked the neighbor to pick up after her dog and she said "well, it will just dissolve into your lawn". I replied, "then let it dissolve into YOUR lawn". I asked again if she could clean up after her dog. She went home to get a baggie to pick it up. The whole time she acted like I had done something wrong. Geez! C'mon lady, get some manners!
Yeah, one for the good guys. I had this happen to my lawn a few times and it stinks, literally! And we are just a half block away from a large public dog park. They could have walked their dogs to the park and everyone (including the dog) would be happier. Arf, arf!
Old 09-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #427
Full time employment: Posting here.

The over prescribing of amphetamines, who knew there were so many adults (24 to 70+) with ADD/ADHD. How did people survive 20 years ago?
Old 09-19-2014, 06:01 PM   #428
Recycles dryer sheets

Pet Peeve for today

Articles like this...

10 things retirees won’t tell you - MarketWatch

Another you should never retire...you can never retire article
Old 09-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #429
Give me a forum ...

This has always bugged me since Windows 95, and I have found no way to fix it.

If you have several applications open, and you click on the taskbar icon for the application you are currently in, it switches to another application. This happens to me at least once a day. I sit down, I want to open the Firefox window, not realizing that it is already open. I click on it, and firefox loses focus.

Very few people even see this as a problem:

How to make Windows ALWAYS give focus to taskbar applic that I click? - Windows 7 Help Forums

I know, someone had toggling in mind, but it makes no sense. Did anyone say "I want it to work so that when I click on the Firefox icon it will switch to an application other than Firefox"? No. No one ever said that.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #430

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke_diver View Post
Pet Peeve for today

Articles like this...

10 things retirees won’t tell you - MarketWatch

Another you should never retire...you can never retire article
Yeah, articles like that are peeving. But you know what really peeves me about that article? The "Click Through Page By Page" way they organize it. All about clicks and advertising. Bah, humbug.

(Hint: it doesn't work for all, but on this one it does. If you click the 'printer' icon it dumps the click-by-page and instead presents all 10 items on one page.)
Old 09-19-2014, 09:50 PM   #431

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
The over prescribing of amphetamines, who knew there were so many adults (24 to 70+) with ADD/ADHD. How did people survive 20 years ago?

The folks I know with ADHD (who don't take meds) don't so very well now or back when they were kids.
Lots of frustration, job hopping, few long term friendships or relationships of any kind.
I often wonder if my brother had gotten treatment as a child if he would have turned out differently.
I think that when they get an actual diagnosis it is a big relief, just to know why they are so different from the folks around them.
Another thing I am grateful that I didn't have to overcome.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:05 AM   #432
Give me a forum ...

Then there's the over-prescribing of pills in general. When I got my vasectomy, around 2001, they gave me thirty Vicodin tablets. I used two or three. The rest are still in our safe.

I still remember this wonderful, cozy Christmas eve feeling that I got when I took a dose of those. I've heard others describe the "cozy feeling" you get from Vicodin. I'm sure a lot of people would succumb to the temptation to use the remaining 27 pills for recreation.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #433
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Then there's the over-prescribing of pills in general. When I got my vasectomy, around 2001, they gave me thirty Vicodin tablets. I used two or three. The rest are still in our safe.

I still remember this wonderful, cozy Christmas eve feeling that I got when I took a dose of those. I've heard others describe the "cozy feeling" you get from Vicodin. I'm sure a lot of people would succumb to the temptation to use the remaining 27 pills for recreation.

Al--if I mail you my address, will you send me your stash? I'm always in a lot of pain--LOL
Old 09-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #434

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
My pet peeve, the grammer police. No one knows the poster's (dis)abilitys with English, yet they critique. Here's some language:

LA 1,0
BCT 1,*-6

Grammer police, please tell us what this does.
why, its a loop that does nothing but toggle the value of R1, assuming those don't start in column 1, if i am wrong than eye could care less, their are more efficient ways of coding a useless loop then this at least you used caps for it's opcodes, this'll run forever if its allowed too
Old 09-22-2014, 02:09 PM   #435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
why, its a loop that does nothing but toggle the value of R1, assuming those don't start in column 1, if i am wrong than eye could care less, their are more efficient ways of coding a useless loop then this at least you used caps for it's opcodes, this'll run forever if its allowed too
Yep, it loops quite well. You're correct R1 goes from 0 to -1 then loops back to the load address instruction. There are better ways of burning cycles but, I've seen this mistake made by multiple people, they don't understand the BCT execution, or card columns.

I do have to apologize to some of the poster's prior to my post. I wasn't very clear, rereading that section, my post was at an inappropriate point. My apologies.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:02 PM   #436

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Yep, it loops quite well. You're correct R1 goes from 0 to -1 then loops back to the load address instruction. There are better ways of burning cycles but, I've seen this mistake made by multiple people, they don't understand the BCT execution, or card columns.

I do have to apologize to some of the poster's prior to my post. I wasn't very clear, rereading that section, my post was at an inappropriate point. My apologies.
Staying within the thread: Not having the option to defer calls to the oncall person to the next normal business hours on a job by job basis when batch jobs abended in the middle of the night (Abend: That's computer work that blows up.) Some of it is pretty important and needs immediate attention, and some of it can be dealt with later, like after a full night of sleep. There are usually at least a primary and secondary person oncall for just about everything -- different people oncall for different things.

In the early 80's before the days of universal remote connectivity I got a call on a batch job that abended around 2 AM and I dutifully got up and drove 20 miles to the office to look at it, as I had done many times before and after this incident. The abend occurred on a BXLE instruction (BXLE: Branch on indeX Less than or Equal). The comment for that particular instruction: "HOPE THIS BXLE WORKS". No kidding. That instruction is rather complex and is best avoided. It had worked for a number of years before this. The problem was probably something like a table overflow. BXLE is pronounced like "bix'l".

It was some little homegrown pos (piece if sh!t) SMF report that somebody wrote when they thought the information was important. It should not have been in production, but it was.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:13 AM   #437
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
Ah, one of my favorite pet peeves. There is a surprising amount of information written on this topic, but I think this sums it up nicely. Sorry for the long quote!

Bottom line up front: since we almost always use proportional type on computers, this short-term and relatively recent "rule" is outdated. Unless you are using monospaced type, you should only be using one space.

"Every modern typographer agrees on the one-space rule. It's one of the canonical rules of the profession, in the same way that waiters know that the salad fork goes to the left of the dinner fork and fashion designers know to put men's shirt buttons on the right and women's on the left. Every major style guide—including the Modern Language Association Style Manual and the Chicago Manual of Style—prescribes a single space after a period. (The Publications Manual of the American Psychological Association, used widely in the social sciences, allows for two spaces in draft manuscripts but recommends one space in published work.) Most ordinary people would know the one-space rule, too, if it weren't for a quirk of history. In the middle of the last century, a now-outmoded technology—the manual typewriter—invaded the American workplace. To accommodate that machine's shortcomings, everyone began to type wrong. And even though we no longer use typewriters, we all still type like we do. (Also see the persistence of the dreaded Caps Lock key.)

The problem with typewriters was that they used monospaced type—that is, every character occupied an equal amount of horizontal space. This bucked a long tradition of proportional typesetting, in which skinny characters (like I or 1) were given less space than fat ones (like W or M). Monospaced type gives you text that looks "loose" and uneven; there's a lot of white space between characters and words, so it's more difficult to spot the spaces between sentences immediately. Hence the adoption of the two-space rule—on a typewriter, an extra space after a sentence makes text easier to read. Here's the thing, though: Monospaced fonts went out in the 1970s. First electric typewriters and then computers began to offer people ways to create text using proportional fonts. Today nearly every font on your PC is proportional. (Courier is the one major exception.) Because we've all switched to modern fonts, adding two spaces after a period no longer enhances readability, typographers say. It diminishes it."
Two spaces after a period: Why you should never, ever do it.

My bigger pet peeve is that my work's styling guide specifically says to only use one space, but I am constantly "corrected" on this. I sooooo hate to be corrected by people who don't actually know the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Thank you for the clarification, makes a lot of sense.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #438
Full time employment: Posting here.

Turn swervers.

Lefties - you know, the people waiting at the left turn signal who straddle the left turn lane into the #1 lane so much so that you can't get around them without going into the right lane, so you have to wait too.

Righties - you know, the people that swerve out into the bike lane and the right hand lane, cuz making a turn really takes up alot of space.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:04 PM   #439

Christmas cards (any card) with sparkles on them and me and the floor and my table. This year almost everyone that sent me a card, it had sparkles on it. You can't get rid of these buggers. I've vacuumed the kitchen floor 3 times today and I can still see them.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:03 PM   #440

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Christmas cards (any card) with sparkles on them and me and the floor and my table. This year almost everyone that sent me a card, it had sparkles on it. You can't get rid of these buggers. I've vacuumed the kitchen floor 3 times today and I can still see them.
Drive DW nuts too. I'm either a tasteless slob or need a new contact lens prescription because I don't notice them.