Join Early Retirement Today

One more...
Old 12-22-2014, 06:05 PM   #461
gone traveling

One more...

MyPillow.com ads. I checked out a couple of reviews, including a particularly scathing one on YouTube. Buy your pillows on sale at Walmart or JCP and save a lot of money!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texconsin View Post
Maybe someday, I'll do what my brother does...live in The Villages, Florida in the winter and Madison, Wisconsin in the summer.
A lot of us are ex GI's here, including me. There is at least one member here that live in the Villages in Florida 1/2 the year. Not a bad deal, if you can swing it.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:45 PM   #463
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't know if it's a pet peeve, but it's a peeve nonetheless. I caught a bad cold starting last Friday. I still had to get my sick body up and out the door on Saturday so that we could celebrate my mom's 90th birthday. My peeve is not the celebration, but it's the fact that I caught a cold the day before. Then today, I called the cancer center where I am currently undergoing radiation therapy. I wanted the day off from therapy because I am still felling pretty crummy, but my doctor's nurse said I still had to drag myself into the clinic to stay on schedule. I just had to wear a mask to keep my germs to myself. Seems like I can't get a break.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:05 PM   #464
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My pet peeve of the day is attempting to update a password after reading the password hints, such as "use special characters" but clicking on enter, the site says something like "special characters not allowed" .
Old 12-22-2014, 09:28 PM   #465
Administrator

My pet peeve for today is people who LOSE THEIR MINDS when they get behind the wheel during the holidays. They drive in erratic, screwy ways, for example suddenly making a 90 degree right turn from the left lane of an 8 lane divided street at a bazillion miles an hour in traffic.

Don't they realize that killing someone or themselves is not really what they want to do right before Christmas? Do they really want their loved ones to never have a happy Christmas again? How about the loved ones of anyone else that should happen to die in an accident with them?

Sheesh. I'd like to think they are all on drugs or alcohol, but sadly I suspect that a lot of them are just stupid.

Yeah, I'm staying home and out of the traffic more than usual this week.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:35 AM   #466
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just got the most evil of holiday cards...........has sparkles on the outside and inside!
Old 12-23-2014, 09:32 AM   #467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
The incessant onslaught of advertising from all sources. I don''t watch TV anymore because of it so the advertisers, at least in my case, have reached the "tipping point" that I don't see any of their ads.

I used to subscribe to half a dozen or so magazines but when advertising exceeded content I began dropping them. There is one remaining radio station that I'll listen to in the car but it is new and hasn't built up a base of advertisers yet. When it does I'll turn the radio off.

May all marketers get lumps of coal next Thursday.
+1. It's just not worth watching TV anymore. Too many commercials. I now do a lot of book reading instead. Sometimes I'll watch a PBS show, partly because I like the content, but also because there are no ******* commercials ruining it.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:51 AM   #468

Inadequate or non-existent labeling on products. Sometimes there is no list of ingredients at all, or just a website listed for "more information". Sometimes the label says it contains X but does not state how much X it contains. Or a useless category like "other ingredients", with none of the "other ingredients" named. Very annoying.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:47 PM   #469
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'd have to go with plastic packaging that is nearly impossible to open without a sharp blade or scissors and often even difficult and dangerous with them. Also a problem to get things back in the packaging if product needs to be returned. Sure it's been mentioned many times before.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:25 PM   #470
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
+1. It's just not worth watching TV anymore. Too many commercials. I now do a lot of book reading instead. Sometimes I'll watch a PBS show, partly because I like the content, but also because there are no ******* commercials ruining it.
+1000 I was watching a show awhile back and the later in the show it got, the more commercials they ran. I started counting at the next commercial break and they ran a total of 21 commercials that lasted 7 minutes. But I notice that they end one show and immediately start the next with no commercial breaks. I guess they figure they want to get you hooked before you change the channel. Then once you are hooked they commercial you to death.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:42 PM   #471
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
The incessant onslaught of advertising from all sources. I don''t watch TV anymore because of it so the advertisers, at least in my case, have reached the "tipping point" that I don't see any of their ads.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

The TV solution is Tivo or some other recording system. The problem is that Tivo itself puts ads up with their displays.

One Tivo generation back, I could skip ahead 30 seconds at a time with a click of a button. I knew that, for example, the first break in the news would take eight clicks.

They still have that, but now it doesn't jump instantaneously. That is, it scrolls through the thirty seconds. So not it's useless. It's faster to fast-forward.

My guess is that they got pressure or kickbacks from advertisers who figured that if it wasn't instantaneous, you might see a flash of something interesting in the ad.

Maybe I'm too cynical.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:44 PM   #472
Give me a forum ...

I get bummed every time I encounter glass on the side of the road. People throw beer bottles out of their car just for the heck of it, and I get flats because of that.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:44 PM   #473

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
<snip>

One Tivo generation back, I could skip ahead 30 seconds at a time with a click of a button. I knew that, for example, the first break in the news would take eight clicks.

They still have that, but now it doesn't jump instantaneously. That is, it scrolls through the thirty seconds. So not it's useless. It's faster to fast-forward.

My guess is that they got pressure or kickbacks from advertisers who figured that if it wasn't instantaneous, you might see a flash of something interesting in the ad.
We noticed that, also. What we have decided is that this gives us a few more seconds to count the clicks. Certain advertisements in certain shows require a certain number of 30 second clicks (skip-aheads) to get past the commercials. . . . and the number of clicks (30 second skip-aheads) required to get past the ad also varies by program, and even at which part of the program in which the ad occurs.

So if you are watching something for the first time, you can just experiment with the skip ahead, or do some ckicks and count them.
I like to watch Forensic Files, which has three commercials (at least in this market). The first commercial is typically 3 minutes (six clicks), second commercial takes 8 clicks (four minutes) and the third commercial is 3 minutes, requiring 6 clicks to bypass. Sometimes this changes by a click or two, and usually in the last commercial if at all, but not often.

Should I do something more productive with my life?

Years ago we purchased a VCR (I believe it was a Panasonic, but don't hold me to that) that had an automatic commercial skip function during payback. It did seem to kindof work, and I am not sure how it worked (maybe detecting increased volume, I dunno). Can't recall whatever happened to this unit, but I don't see any of them available now.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:06 PM   #474

People who ask us to remove our well behaved, friendly little dog from either the public side walk or from our own front yard because their aggressive dogs are trying to go after him and they are bothered by their dogs leash pulling and aggressive behavior.

If people can't control their own barking and snarling dogs, even on a leash, and keep them out of other people's yards, they shouldn't be walking them in public, especially without a muzzle. Most of the dog owners in our neighborhood are super nice and so are their dogs, so it really stands out when a household or two has a mean dog they can't control and feel it is okay to take it out in public.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:53 AM   #475
Full time employment: Posting here.

Daylate, is your dog on a leash or fenced, or is he or she roaming your front yard/neighborhood freely?
Old 01-09-2015, 08:26 AM   #476
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
.......it really stands out when a household or two has a mean dog they can't control and feel it is okay to take it out in public.
I walk my dog at a local park nearly every day (on a leash). We have been charged numerous times by loose dogs, but the only two times they made tooth contact was when the offending dog was on a leash. I've learned to get out the Halt early to catch them in mid lunge.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:22 AM   #477

As a longtime rescue person (border collies), I generally advise against going to the official "dog parks" unless you can go at a time when there are few dogs. It is just so hard for the dogs to learn pack order each and every time, and there are bound to be problem dogs (and more likely, problem people) there.

Interestingly, many many dogs are more aggressive "on leash" than off. Weird but true. It takes a lot of work to retrain dogs that do this, unfortunately.

We live in the country, on a little chunk of fenced land, and our dogs only see leashes when they have to go to the vet's office. And we actively discourage friends from bringing their dogs to our house, so our dogs are not especially well-socialized except for the occasional foster dog.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:45 AM   #478

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
Daylate, is your dog on a leash or fenced, or is he or she roaming your front yard/neighborhood freely?
Our dog has been leashed and walking with us on a public side walk the first time this happened and the second time our dog was on a short tether in our front yard that kept him well within his own yard.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 01-09-2015, 09:58 AM   #479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
and there are bound to be problem dogs (and more likely, problem people) there.
I think the two go hand in hand. Most of the problem dogs at the park seem to have dip-sh*t owners who let them go from one snarling dog squirmish to another while they are chat and ignore the behavior. We stopped going to the dog park partly for that reason.

Our dog seems just as happy going for walks and passing by other dogs for sniff and greets. It is cute as there are 20 or so dogs in the neighborhood who get walked regularly and the dogs all know each other and get excited when they see each other coming.

I bought a spray and a walking stick. We were out hiking in the open space in actually a very ritzy area a few months ago and two off leash pit bulls ran up to us very fast with no owner in sight. They turned out to be friendly but we had to think about well what if next time they are not.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:27 AM   #480
Dryer sheet aficionado

Pet peeve? People. They're the worst.