What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the spirit of keeping the thread alive with pet peeves. I'll add one

Why oh why is it necessary for some people to make a family outing out of a weekend trip to the grocery store? It's already too crowded. Why must mom, dad, and three energetic kids all plug the aisles? Let one parent stay home with the kids and send the other to shop in peace!

I can think of a couple of reasons why shoppers might bring the kids along.
1. Single parents, no one to babysit.
2. Recent media stories about what can happen when small kids are left alone in cars.
3. Helping kids to learn about meal making and budgeting.

My pet peeve is stores with only a single stall bathroom. When the ADA laws first were passed, they converted many two-holers into a single large stall. I can see that as a practical necessity. But newer construction mens' bathrooms all seem to have a single stall. It's not a big deal until you need one and some homeless guy is camping in one, the single toilet is plugged and overflowing or simply occupied by long timer.

I can think of a couple of reasons why shoppers might bring the kids along.
1. Single parents, no one to babysit.
2. Recent media stories about what can happen when small kids are left alone in cars.
3. Helping kids to learn about meal making and budgeting.

Oh, sure, I understand that. But why do they always do it on the same day and the same time that I'm there? Are they telepathic or something to plan this ahead of time?:D

Oh, sure, I understand that. But why do they always do it on the same day and the same time that I'm there? Are they telepathic or something to plan this ahead of time?:D

Yes. It's a conspiracy!

Sunday around 12:00 ?

Another day, another pet peeve. :LOL:

Waiting for repairmen to show up. Most places will say AM or PM, but beyond that, forget any communication. In the past, before cell phones, this was somewhat excusable, but now it would be easy for a guy to call and say I'm running early, or late or not coming at all - but it doesn't seem to be any better.

And so I sits and waits.......... :whistle:

Waiting for repairmen to show up. Most places will say AM or PM, but beyond that, forget any communication. In the past, before cell phones, this was somewhat excusable, but now it would be easy for a guy to call and say I'm running early, or late or not coming at all - but it doesn't seem to be any better.

Having once been one of those repair guys I know why they can't do that. It is because they don't know.

What happens is they get a list of calls and the nature of the complaint (i.e., "washer won't spin") and he knows the two or three things that will cause it. So he gets a block away and the street is closed because a house is on fire (yes, that happened!) Or more likely, what was supposed to be a 20-minute job turns into a 2-hour job because some nut or screw is seemingly welded in place, or the lot of them were put in place by a gorilla having a bad day at work, or something that unexpectedly makes a trivial task a tedious one.

We're all familiar with Murphy's Law, so if he calls and says "I'm running ahead and should be there in 45 minutes" that is exactly when he'll run into the aforementioned problem, or the truck dies, or something will make a liar out of him. So he doesn't call you and the six other people he's going to that day.

Having once been one of those repair guys I know why they can't do that. It is because they don't know.

We're all familiar with Murphy's Law, so if he calls and says "I'm running ahead and should be there in 45 minutes" that is exactly when he'll run into the aforementioned problem, or the truck dies, or something will make a liar out of him. So he doesn't call you and the six other people he's going to that day.

I understand all that, but...

If they tell me they will be at my place at 3:00, and I get a call at 3:35 that they'll be late - I'm PO'd. if He's 15 minutes away from my house, he knew by 2:45 he was gonna be late, and should have called then.

-ERD50

You are more sympathetic than I am. I have had good repairmen who do call and say, "I'm finishing the last job now and I'll be to your house in a half hour, or similar. That's great because I know that I can run up to the store, take the dog for a short walk or take a shower. It is the sitting around for hours at a time needlessly that grinds me.

Us retirees are busy! :LOL:

Mail carriers: Pet Peeve.

This week we had a mail order prescription delivered to our mailbox but it wasn't ours. Same house number, much different street and clearly labelled.

So we left it in the box with a note saying it was not ours. Next day...still there (ignored by the carrier). So I delivered it myself to the old gentleman who had asked the SAME carrier why it showed "delivered" online and he had not received it. Go figure...:facepalm:

Hey, we are not talking about a Lego set here, this is prescription medicine.

In the '90s, I was a machine gun dealer for a while. I had UPS leave THREE full auto UZIs on my front door step with signature cards still attached. Good thing I live in the country.

Mike D.

Peeve is mis-stocked bins and even though I know better, I did it again today.

I went to Home Depot to pick up some small plumbing parts. I found what I needed and grabbed a couple more out of the same bin. When I got home and had everything apart, I realized that the parts that I bought are a mix of similar, but different sized parts.

So, back to the store to get the right parts leaving the house with no water service. :mad:

You're driving down a narrow, empty 2 lane highway. There is only one other car, and it is approaching from the other direction. There is also a bicyclist on your side of the road, ahead of you. There is a 100% chance that you, the bicyclist, and the approaching car will converge at the same location.

You're driving down a narrow, empty 2 lane highway. There is only one other car, and it is approaching from the other direction. There is also a bicyclist on your side of the road, ahead of you. There is a 100% chance that you, the bicyclist, and the approaching car will converge at the same location.

The courteous thing to do would be for the biker to pull off the road but legally they have the same rights as any other vehicle. Legally the car going in the same direction as the bike needs to slow down until it's safe to pass. I've seen many people who have a complete disregard of the bicyclists rights to use the road. Ideally there's a separate bike lane, but if not, it's their road too.

Can't someone slow down or stop?

Depends where you live. Some states everyone slows. Others they all speed up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Sounds like an excellent math word problem.

If the bicyclist is on my side of the road, I slow down until other car passes then I'll pass the bicyclist. It's being courteous and sharing the road.

Teaser sales. I've been looking at a piece of furniture for a couple months. Today is Macy's "one day sale." Go in store and the furniture has a sign over the usual price saying "one day sale!" But no, the item was not less than it has been for months. As explained by the salesperson, it is "always on sale, including the one day sale."

My pet peeve continues to be inconsiderate pet owners, but I think I scored some success.

I have a 1.5 acre lot and a neighbor that built right on the lot line. This neighbor has a Rottweiler that goes nuts every time I go into the back yard. There is no fence, so the dog stands at the treeline snarling and barking for the whole time I'm in the back yard.

I've told the neighbor I don't like it, but he hasn't done anything about it. I thought about complaining to the local authorities, but then it is his word against mine as to what the dog does. So, I decided to shoot videos of the dog barking and snarling with no provocation on my part and post them to YouTube so they can be accessed by the authorities. Amazingly, as soon as the neighbor realized I was out there shooting video he ran out and took the dog inside. After years of deafness he can finally hear the dog!

On a similar note, when I moved into this rural neighborhood, numerous dogs would attack me and my leashed dog right in the street with no intervention from the owners. I decided to carry a 1 1/2 inch diameter oak shovel handle with me and amazingly, the same deaf owners suddenly became aware of the situation and scrambled out to grab their dogs. Even better, I learned that dogs know what a stick is and what it can do and they kept their distance without a word from me.

Moral of the story, some dog owners are deaf, but it is curable.

The dreaded synchronicity phenomenon - Add a narrow bridge and no other traffic in the past hour - this same scenario has happened to me more than once while bike-touring the otherwise sparsely populated desert southwest.

Last edited:
The dreaded synchronicity phenomenon - Add a narrow bridge and no other traffic in the past hour - this same scenario has happened to me more than once while bike-touring the otherwise sparsely populated desert southwest.

Another variant of this is the huge pothole that shows up at the same time as these other distractions. 10 miles of no potholes, no other cars, no bicyclists, then all 3 in the same place. :facepalm:

BTW, in my scenario I would slow down and wait til I could get by the bicyclist without danger, of course.

My pet peeve continues to be inconsiderate pet owners, but I think I scored some success.

I have a 1.5 acre lot and a neighbor that built right on the lot line. This neighbor has a Rottweiler that goes nuts every time I go into the back yard. There is no fence, so the dog stands at the treeline snarling and barking for the whole time I'm in the back yard.

I've told the neighbor I don't like it, but he hasn't done anything about it. I thought about complaining to the local authorities, but then it is his word against mine as to what the dog does. So, I decided to shoot videos of the dog barking and snarling with no provocation on my part and post them to YouTube so they can be accessed by the authorities. Amazingly, as soon as the neighbor realized I was out there shooting video he ran out and took the dog inside. After years of deafness he can finally hear the dog!

On a similar note, when I moved into this rural neighborhood, numerous dogs would attack me and my leashed dog right in the street with no intervention from the owners. I decided to carry a 1 1/2 inch diameter oak shovel handle with me and amazingly, the same deaf owners suddenly became aware of the situation and scrambled out to grab their dogs. Even better, I learned that dogs know what a stick is and what it can do and they kept their distance without a word from me.

Moral of the story, some dog owners are deaf, but it is curable.

I'm with you on this.
I walk my dogs leashed around my property as well in some great state and regional parks, where there are clearly marked signs stating "all dogs must be on leash at all times". But every time I'm at a part here comes a large off leash dog at least 50 feet in front of the idiot owner.
I don't care if people think their dogs are "friendly", no one knows what might trigger a dog to become aggressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I'm with you on this.
I walk my dogs leashed around my property as well in some great state and regional parks, where there are clearly marked signs stating "all dogs must be on leash at all times". But every time I'm at a part here comes a large off leash dog at least 50 feet in front of the idiot owner.
I don't care if people think their dogs are "friendly", no one knows what might trigger a dog to become aggressive.

These people are the only people I actually advocate the Police shooting in the back.

Do they have a bike path parallel to the road? Here there is often one and still they insist on riding the bikes in the street, like they are indestructible or something :nonono:. Maybe I should drive my car up on the bike path.:confused:

These people are the only people I actually advocate the Police shooting in the back.

Hahah good one!
And have you noticed it's usually aggressive breeds with aggressive owners who aggressively defend their off leash dog?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom