Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #41

People who drive 20+ MPH under the speed limit in the inside lane (left side) of the road and not move over to the right lane for traffic.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2014, 11:43 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
People who don't answer their phone, especially when I know it is glued to their hand............
My pet peeve is people that always answer the phone - whether they are talking to me, eating in a restaurant with a friend, in the toilet.........

Old 04-23-2014, 12:30 PM   #43
Administrator

Robo calls from Doctor and Dentists offices that say " please call us back regarding your scheduled appointment on (insert date and time)". Upon calling back your learn that you are calling to affirm that you will be at the appt.

I made the appt, answered the @#$* robo call and I still have to call back? Really?
Old 04-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

- Grocery Stores, which previously had wide aisles, placing displays in the aisle leading to gridlock. I know why they are doing it, just don't approve.

- New neighbors, that acquired bank owned houses, parking cars on the street in a neighborhood where this typically isn't done due to lot size, road width and general aesthetics. Seen too many neighborhoods turn from beautiful to trashy once this takes hold.

-gauss
Old 04-23-2014, 12:59 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin-the-Toll View Post
Plastic soda/water bottles (2-ltr, 24 oz., 12 oz., or whatever) with those funky shaped pointed bottoms. Always falling over in the old refridgerators with steel racks and other places. Why can't they just put a nice flat bottom on them for stability? And the plastic caps on said bottles just keep getting smaller and smaller (I know this is a cost factor). Seems I'm dropping them more and more because they're so small.
And the plastic is so thin that if you squeeze a full bottle the contents come flying out all over the place.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey Gauss--
I couldn't agree with you more. Too bad you spend a ton to buy in a "nice" neighborhood and suddenly it changes. Cars on the street detract, but so does failure to mow lawns or keep homes in good repair. I was lucky to get out, and next time I will purchase in a deed restricted area with a strong HOA. Trash and shady characters beget trash and shady characters. --prof12
Old 04-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
My pet peeve is people that always answer the phone - whether they are talking to me, eating in a restaurant with a friend, in the toilet.........

I got the better of a guy that routinely used his cell in the restroom at Megacorp. He's talking away, to his banker, I decided to put a stop to his annoying habit. The noises I made left no doubt as to where he was, and gave the impression someone was having a great deal of difficulty with a bodily function.
MRG
Old 04-23-2014, 01:27 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Old 04-23-2014, 01:27 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
- New neighbors, that acquired bank owned houses, parking cars on the street in a neighborhood where this typically isn't done due to lot size, road width and general aesthetics. Seen too many neighborhoods turn from beautiful to trashy once this takes hold.

-gauss

What used to get me is when the neighbors parked their car on the street in front of my house when ample parking was available in front of theirs. I guess they didn't want that rusted out Caddy to detract from their home's curb appeal.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #50

Automated service calls .... "you replied 'no.' Is this correct? Sorry, I could not understand your reply."
Old 04-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Automated service calls .... "you replied 'no.' Is this correct? Sorry, I could not understand your reply."
That's when my gal knows it a recorded call - I swear and am quite rude to machines. People are just earning grocery and rent money.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:57 AM   #52

People who pave over their front lawns to park their cars. In a townhome community where each unit originally has a small front yard and a driveway and a garage, the paveover gives the place a look of urban blight. One expects to see a shopping cart rolling across the macadam..... No more lawns, just a great big parking lot.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:18 AM   #53

Pet peeve of the day - Parents who allow their young children to play in the street without proper supervision. I was trying to get home yesterday and a large group of children were playing in the street blocking traffic to the only entrance to our development. The parents were gathered at the top of a driveway chatting away oblivious to the children blocking the access to the residential traffic. The kids just stared at me looking annoyed because I obviously was disturbing their game and didn't move for nearly a minute, forcing me to stop. As I was finally able to get by, another child came tearing down a driveway into the street ahead of me. I stopped of course, then the mother proceeded to run over and yell at me for putting her child in danger. She never said a word that I could hear to her daughter about riding suddenly into the street.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:23 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Pet peeve of the day - Parents who allow their young children to play in the street without proper supervision. .......
Your local auto shop can fit an air horn from a heavy truck.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:03 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

In cities where housing cost is high, there are often 3 or 4 bedroom houses with a dozen or more residents. Of course many drive, hence there's no place to park their cars. The 2-car driveway is not enough, and the garage has often been converted into living spaces. And there's not even enough curb space.

I have visited friends living in such places, and have problems finding a parking spot.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Pet peeve #1 for me happened again last night -

Stores that demand personal information to sell you a product.

Went to a large national chain last night to pick up a pair of pliers. The clerk asked "Cash or Credit Card?". Answered "Cash", he asked "Would you like to apply for a XXXX Credit Card?" "No, I just want to pay cash". "Okay, what's your phone number?"
"I'm not giving you my phone number - I just want this pair of pliers" "Well we have to enter your phone number in to do the transaction" "No". "How about your cell phone number then?" "No". "Well, then we need your E-mail address". "No" on and on and on. He basically was insistent that, until I provided the company with my personal information, he was not allowed to give me my change.

All in all it took 10 minutes to pay cash for a pair of pliers. It still amazes me that a retail establishment is more interested in getting my phone number and E-mail address than they are in selling their products.

Ok.... mini-rant over
Old 04-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #57

Gasp! I have no pet peeve to post today but the day is still young .
Old 04-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisWyatt View Post
............Stores that demand personal information to sell you a product...........
Radio Shack used to pull this stunt. I just about came to blows with a kid over a resistor purchase.

I think Sears still does some of this.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Loose dogs at the park. They poop everywhere and their owners pretend not to see lest they have to pick it up. The dogs harass me and my leashed dog, plus chase wildlife, including ground nesting birds. Owners always have an excuse, which boils down to leash laws being written for other people's dogs, not their darling well behaved pooches.
Ditto, why is it they always think the "Dogs Must Be On Leash At All Times" sign does not apply to them I'm getting really good at reminding them that it does I'm sure they think I'm just a grumpy old man, or worse...
Old 04-24-2014, 03:30 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisWyatt View Post
It still amazes me that a retail establishment is more interested in getting my phone number and E-mail address than they are in selling their products.
They can sell your personal data over and over again. You're only gonna buy that pair of pliers once.