Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 07:08 AM   #681
Full time employment: Posting here.

I went to lunch yesterday and a woman I have w*rked with for 22 years asked to join. We were best of friends for most of the time, but the former president managed to drive a wedge between us. As the food arrived, her phone rang and she proceeded to talk with her son for the entire meal, only ending the conversation when the waiter was cleaning up the table. Why the @#%$ did she want to come to lunch if all she was going to do was talk on the phone. I have decided that the next time she wants to join me, I will pull out my book and read for the entire meal!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2015, 07:26 AM   #682
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman59 View Post
I went to lunch yesterday and a woman I have w*rked with for 22 years asked to join. We were best of friends for most of the time, but the former president managed to drive a wedge between us. As the food arrived, her phone rang and she proceeded to talk with her son for the entire meal, only ending the conversation when the waiter was cleaning up the table. Why the @#%$ did she want to come to lunch if all she was going to do was talk on the phone. I have decided that the next time she wants to join me, I will pull out my book and read for the entire meal!
Next time don't go.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:59 PM   #683

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Next time don't go.
That would be my response, and I wouldn't hesitate to say why.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:21 PM   #684
Full time employment: Posting here.

Contractors or handyman types who tell you they will find a time to arrive at your home and will call you with that time, only to have their worker show up with no notice. Made even more fun when the worker decides to suddenly be on your property in the back yard.
He was lucky the dogs were inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-15-2015, 07:46 PM   #685
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
Contractors or handyman types who tell you they will find a time to arrive at your home and will call you with that time, only to have their worker show up with no notice. Made even more fun when the worker decides to suddenly be on your property in the back yard.
He was lucky the dogs were inside.

HA! This whole past week I was waiting for the call telling me when he was coming over. No call.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:08 PM   #686

Charter Cable including certain channel/channels as part of your package for years, then moving them to a different 'tier' so you have pay more to continue receiving them.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:58 AM   #687

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
HA! This whole past week I was waiting for the call telling me when he was coming over. No call.

Typically these problems are caused by the field employees. This kind of situation can be slightly remedied by bad reviews on Angie's List, Yelp, etc... Many businesses pay a small fortune to be listed on these sites and management types won't like negative reviews.

He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Old 05-29-2015, 11:00 AM   #688
Gone but not forgotten

My pet peeve is finding reliable repair people in Florida either they do not return calls or show up or they give bids that are so unrealistic as to be laughable . The last time we wanted our pool resurfaced and some of the plumbing repaired. The first bid was $25,000 and the second was $4,000 . We went with the $4,000 and they did an awesome job . We are now looking to have our deck repaired first estimate the guy started at $900 for labor but then sent us an estimate for $4,300 for labor . We are now waiting for another bid from a guy that seems reliable .
Old 05-29-2015, 12:01 PM   #689
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I really get miffed by retail employees who give priority service to phone customers vs. in-store customers.

A couple of days ago I stopped into a big-chain auto supply store to buy some electrical fuses. Found what I was looking for without assistance and walked up to the check-out counter where there were three registers with a store employee at each. One was on the phone, a second was thumbing through a thick parts manual of some sort, and the third said "May I help you?"

I walked over to her register and when I got within a couple of steps of the counter, the phone rang and she said, "I'll be right with you." She answered the phone and spent the next five minutes answering questions about a part for a Honda air conditioner. Then, with phone still to her ear, she walked back into the parts department and I understood completely that the way to get waited on was to call, not get in my car and drive 15 miles and show up in person.

So, I pulled out my cell phone, Googled the store's number, and called them. When the guy digging into the parts manual answered I said, "Hi. I'm standing at the register next to you and need someone to check me out. Can you help me?"

No, what I actually did was lay the box of fuses on the counter and walk out....
Old 05-29-2015, 12:07 PM   #690
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
So, I pulled out my cell phone, Googled the store's number, and called them. When the guy digging into the parts manual answered I said, "Hi. I'm standing at the register next to you and need someone to check me out. Can you help me?"

No, what I actually did was lay the box of fuses on the counter and walk out....
Old 05-29-2015, 12:36 PM   #691
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
My pet peeve is finding reliable repair people ...
No need to add "in Florida". It's a nation-wide phenomenon.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:45 PM   #692
Give me a forum ...

People who refuse to buy the optional turn signals on cars.

No, wait they are included in the purchase. The driver just has to move the little stick gizmo on the steering column.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:53 PM   #693
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
I really get miffed by retail employees who give priority service to phone customers vs. in-store customers.

A couple of days ago I stopped into a big-chain auto supply store to buy some electrical fuses. Found what I was looking for without assistance and walked up to the check-out counter where there were three registers with a store employee at each. One was on the phone, a second was thumbing through a thick parts manual of some sort, and the third said "May I help you?"

I walked over to her register and when I got within a couple of steps of the counter, the phone rang and she said, "I'll be right with you." She answered the phone and spent the next five minutes answering questions about a part for a Honda air conditioner. Then, with phone still to her ear, she walked back into the parts department and I understood completely that the way to get waited on was to call, not get in my car and drive 15 miles and show up in person.

I had that happen to me at Lord & Taylor several years ago .I waited for the saleslady to finish the call but it just went on and on so I just reached over and hung up the phone .She looked pretty shocked but she quickly waited on me .
Old 05-29-2015, 12:54 PM   #694
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
People who refuse to buy the optional turn signals on cars.

No, wait they are included in the purchase. The driver just has to move the little stick gizmo on the steering column.
That would require them to put their cell phone down and that's not going to happen.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:26 PM   #695

Quote:
I had that happen to me at Lord & Taylor several years ago .I waited for the saleslady to finish the call but it just went on and on so I just reached over and hung up the phone .
Love that one! Like REWahoo I normally just walk out, never to darken their door again. It hasn't been an issue since we moved to WV though.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:06 PM   #696
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I used to be a member of a big box membership club. One time, I was checking out and a package of meat did not have a price code on it. The cashier said I needed to go back to the meat counter and get it priced.

I asked if she could call, or get an employee to do it. (It is all the way in the corner of the store.) She said no, this is a membership club and you have to do it.

I told her that she and her co-workers could take the $200 of goods you partially ringed up and put them back for me. I'm gone. Good bye. I will not be back.

I have not stepped foot on that property ever again. And I have little desire for any other membership club either. I should probably change my tune as I understand this would not be likely to happen at Costco, but I'm not sure.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:10 PM   #697
Give me a forum ...

Galvanized iron water pipes. I just spent about 5 hours replacing two GI fittings that some idiot had used for the well pump pressure switch and pressure gauge in my home water system. He just screwed the two iron reducing bushings right into the copper "T." Of course they were corroded and dripping, snapped off >easily< as I tried to take them out. Had they snapped off on their own it would have flooded my garage, probably for hours, as the switch would have continually sensed low pressure and kept the pump turned on nonstop.

The proper brass bushings are readily available and doing it right would have cost about $5 more. Maybe he had these in his truck. "They'll work for years--the check from the putz living here will only take a few days to clear."

And don't get me started on GI pipes used in most older homes. Guaranteed to eventually fail throughout the house and probably saved the builder a few hundred bucks compared to copper or threaded brass piping.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:38 PM   #698
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
...........And don't get me started on GI pipes used in most older homes.........
I had galvanized pipes in my first house and every month there was a new leak. I thought it was so cool that my present house has 100% copper fresh and drain pipes. Then the drain pipes started rotting out..........
Old 05-29-2015, 05:59 PM   #699
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I had that happen to me at Lord & Taylor several years ago .I waited for the saleslady to finish the call but it just went on and on so I just reached over and hung up the phone .She looked pretty shocked but she quickly waited on me .
You are my hero.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:05 PM   #700
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
Charter Cable including certain channel/channels as part of your package for years, then moving them to a different 'tier' so you have pay more to continue receiving them.
Sounds like you might be ready to move to Direct TV. I've begun to suspect they have a secret employee rewards program for the endless ways to charge their subscribers for programing packages and continuing price increases. It seems the more you pay, the worse their customer services becomes.

I started with their basic service, and minimum cost over 20 years ago. Over the years I have added on (and paid for) just about every programing package/feature they offer. 20 years ago, when I was paying the minimum fee for their minimal service offering, their customer services was a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. Today now that I'm paying big bucks, they are < 1.

I'd switch to DISH, but based on some of the threads I've read on this forum, they don't sound any better.

YMMV, but I doubt it!
Closed Thread