Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-01-2015, 06:06 PM   #721
Full time employment: Posting here.

A snip-it from one of my favorite Richard Brautigan short stories, "complicated banking problems" -

When I wait in line there are almost always people in front of me who have complicated banking problems. I have to stand there and endure the financial cartoon crucifixions of America. It goes something like this: There are three people in front of me. I have a little check to cash. My banking will only take a minute. The check is already endorsed. I have it in my hand, pointed in the direction of the teller.
The person just being waited on now is a woman fifty years old. She is wearing a long black coat, though it is a hot day. She appears to be very comfortable in the coat and there is a strange smell coming from her. I think about it for a few seconds and realize that this is the first sign of a complicated banking problem.
Then she reaches into the folds of her coat and removes the shadow of a refrigerator filled with sour milk and year-old carrots. She wants to put the shadow in her savings account. She’s already made out the slip.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2015, 10:55 PM   #722
Recycles dryer sheets

One of the younger professional engineers at w@rk, a female, cannot speak a sentence that isn't a question? It drives me up the freaking wall? She doesn't seem to get that this intonation completely destroys the credibility of everything she says?

Old 06-08-2015, 01:27 PM   #723
Recycles dryer sheets

I am not sure I am peeved at Fed Ex or the manufacturer of the glass top table ordered online from Hayneedle. We paid extra for 3 day delivery about 3 weeks ago. First table base came but without the glass table top, (order shipped in two separate boxes). Fed Ex claims damage during shipment. So we contacted Hayneedle and spell out the problem. They will request a second table to be shipped, they can't request just a replacement top, the entire table base and top must be shipped and the extra table base must be shipped back, HUH??

About 10 days later a second table base shows up but again no glass top. We check the Fed Ex website and it shows the second glass top was damaged in shipment. By this time I am

Again we notify Hayneedle and they again are going to arrange for the third table to be shipped. They advise delivery is estimated about two weeks out. We remind them that we paid a premium for fast delivery, but they don't care. I am not holding my breath that the third glass top will be delivered undamaged. I suspect the shipper/manufacturer is not properly packaging the glass top. It is also possible Fed Ex employees see a box marked Glass/Fragile and they see how roughly they can handle it.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #724
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I hate when smokers throw their butts onto public or private property instead of in the trash. I live on the bottom level of a condo building. The balconies are made of wood and have gaps. The person 2 levels above me drops her butts and they fall down to my patio. I've had to sweep up dozens of butts along with the ash since she moved in a few months ago. I've asked her to stop. I've told the condo management(twice) and last week I called the police. She still does it and no one seems to care. I hate people who have no consideration for others.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:47 PM   #725

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
She still does it and no one seems to care. I hate people who have no consideration for others.
After you sweep them up deposit them on her doorstep. Perhaps that will make the lesson sink in.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:12 PM   #726

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
After you sweep them up deposit them on her doorstep. Perhaps that will make the lesson sink in.
I did that already but it didn't do any good. Her "doorstep" is in a common area in a condo building so I don't want to put the butts in that area again. There's no way for me to put them on her property unless I throw them in her open car window when it's parked in the parking lot. If i do that then i'll probably get in trouble somehow. She's a pretty young woman with a cute 4 year old. People seem to think she should be able to get away with anything. I on the other hand am a single white young-ish male. I get no special treatment of any kind.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:26 PM   #727
Recycles dryer sheets

Selfie sticks... WTF
Old 06-10-2015, 07:58 PM   #728

People on radio or TV who are being interviewed, and for some reason answer every question with *So, ......* Why on earth do they do it and who taught them it was normal? Used to be these So people were only on NPR, now they're everywhere. Yegads.....
Old 06-10-2015, 09:32 PM   #729
Dryer sheet wannabe

How about those folks at self-service gas pumps who have to fix their hair, makeup, whatever, before pulling out.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:06 PM   #730

Fast food places, like McDonald's, that force you to stand in the crowd and wait to be asked to order, by the cashier. No line, just a bunch of people standing in a crowd, hoping the cashier calls them next. Burger King has roped off lanes to make it clear who is next to order. Not the worst peeve ever, but still .......
Old 06-11-2015, 12:47 PM   #731

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Fast food places, like McDonald's, that force you to stand in the crowd and wait to be asked to order, by the cashier. No line, just a bunch of people standing in a crowd, hoping the cashier calls them next. Burger King has roped off lanes to make it clear who is next to order. Not the worst peeve ever, but still .......
MickeyD's has made the drive thru lane(s) the highest priority. I know what you mean about this situation and it sucks if all you want is a cup of coffee and have to "join the group".
Old 06-11-2015, 01:53 PM   #732
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Whatever, I can take anything except the old lady writing a check. All other line rage inducers pale compared to that one.
I can trump that . An old lady writing a check in Florida who finds out the cashier comes from her home state so now it goes into an hour remembrance of Ohio .
Old 06-11-2015, 02:13 PM   #733
Give me a forum ...

Loud motorcycles. And cars. And trucks. Makes me want to fire a "noise seeking" missile at them, er, their tail pipe.

And the jerks who race their car in the shopping parking lot. Off with their head!
Old 06-11-2015, 02:25 PM   #734
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Loud motorcycles. And cars. And trucks. Makes me want to fire a "noise seeking" missile at them, er, their tail pipe.

And the jerks who race their car in the shopping parking lot. Off with their head!
Oh, only if there were such a missile, I'd be right there with ya ...
Old 06-11-2015, 05:36 PM   #735

Not strictly a peeve but entertaining.

On the way home along a road with 35 mph speed limit I do about 38. Behind me is an all black dodge something or other with great chromed maw, modern version of a factory hot rod. Leaving the 35 mph speed limit to a section with 45 mph, the doode behind me floors it, passes me over the double yellow lines, great noise and rattling, then gets back into the proper lane. A a little less than a quarter mile later he is not much further ahead.

All show no go, but great amount of noise.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:55 PM   #736
Recycles dryer sheets

Reading one of my best buddies FB page. He retired with massive amounts of money but is very nouveau riche, always dropping name brands and such. EVERYDAY! I am slightly jealous, but only because he has a lot of security. But even with that, I would enjoy the simple things in life and not have to show that I drink Cristal! We've known each other 40 years but I am finally coming to the realization that he is very shallow.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:25 PM   #737

My pet peeve from 30 seconds ago I that I have no idea what "Cristal" is and now I have to go google that.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:51 PM   #738

What is your pet peeve of the day?

I'm making a small pork roast on the grill and about 3/4 of the way done I ran out of propane. Hey, no problem, I have a spare propane tank in the garage because I thought ahead and planned for this!

DH gets the new tank and hooks it up. We always test a new tank hookup with soapy water to check for leaks. Didn't even get that far as DH heard a hissing noise when opening the valve. Disconnect and reconnect and same slight hissing noise. So he disconnects again and we look at the old tank and the new tank and there is a black rubber gasket missing from the new tank.

Well, damn! So I've turned on the oven and DH is having a snack while we wait.

So dinner will be delayed but at least nothing exploded.

I'll try taking the tank back for an exchange tomorrow.

On something as dangerous as a propane tank, shouldn't there be some degree of quality control? How about some testing and verification? Or do they just have a big enough insurance policy to cover accidents due to their missing gaskets?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-11-2015, 06:56 PM   #739
Recycles dryer sheets

Joe- LOL!
Old 06-23-2015, 07:36 AM   #740
Give me a forum ...

My pet peeve of the day is folks who initiate plans then end up juggling their schedule around and cancelling. Some family members are really good at that. I got "Punk'd" this morning from my sister who made plans for something early in the morning, but trying to cram the plan into alongside other plans, had to cancel, when in the words of Marcia Brady, "Something, suddenly came up."

I do understand plans change and things do come up, but some folks juggle routinely.