Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2015, 09:43 AM   #801
Recycles dryer sheets
Dcharles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bismarck
Posts: 165
Mosquitoes!


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________

__________________
Dcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #802
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Naf, you need to go down memory lane (ok, bad memory lane) and eat in a small rural diner in MO. They may have a dozen tables with half "smoking" all right next to each other.
I still get a kick out of watching an old show where someone lights up a cigarette while riding an airplane. Now that was certainly not "the good old days".


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hadn't seen this post Mulligan too funny. I watched "The Exorcist" a few years back. In one scene the fellow that plays the DR. lights up in his office. Nice, when I saw it originally that scene went unnoticed.
__________________

__________________
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:33 PM   #803
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,064
Web articles that don't include a date.
__________________
Al
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:46 PM   #804
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 16,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Web articles that don't include a date.
Yes! And of course, the text refers to 'recently', or 'this year/month/week'.

In a similar vein, I use google news as my 'home page' (not literally, I have my home page set to a blank page, I don't want anything to autoload - but it is where I go once I load my browser, and I keep it open pretty much all the time). And you often see these news articles with a town name in the headline, but you have no idea what State, or even Country they are talking about. Especially a generic place name like Smithsville.

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:37 PM   #805
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wildwood
Posts: 282
Driving to the gym in the morning I take a road that is one lane each way, sort of a country road if you will. It winds, there is NO place a sane person will pass another car. The speed limit is 30 and drops to 25 in a couple of spots.
When I am driving in back of someone, maybe an older person or a work truck, going under or at the speed limit and the person in back of me is riding my tail, weaving left and right as if to try to see if there is anyone in front of me (hey idiot I am driving a Cayman, you can see right over the car), does the person think if he tailgates me it will make the car in front of me speed up?? Then the behavior continues until the road ends, where that person of course speeds up like a scalded cat....
__________________
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:57 PM   #806
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
Driving to the gym in the morning I take a road that is one lane each way, sort of a country road if you will. It winds, there is NO place a sane person will pass another car. The speed limit is 30 and drops to 25 in a couple of spots.
When I am driving in back of someone, maybe an older person or a work truck, going under or at the speed limit and the person in back of me is riding my tail, weaving left and right as if to try to see if there is anyone in front of me (hey idiot I am driving a Cayman, you can see right over the car), does the person think if he tailgates me it will make the car in front of me speed up?? Then the behavior continues until the road ends, where that person of course speeds up like a scalded cat....
I've had that happen to me in my Miata on some winding roads. They're so close all I see is their grill in my rear view mirror, and I'm just a few car lengths behind the car in front of me.

I generally pull off at the first wide shoulder, gravel patch, or driveway I see. (I had a little Ford totaled years ago when the car in front stopped, and the tailgater rammed my car into the stopped car. Ouch.) I just think of it as avoiding the impending accident.

I've even pulled off, placed the car safely out of the way, and waited 10-15 minutes when I've had lots of time, just to give the idjits time to clear the far end of a road so I could drive for a while without being stuck.
__________________
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:02 PM   #807
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,929
My pet peeve of the day are "Freecyclers" who ask for stuff, and can't be troubled to show up. I'm running two for two today.

It would be less frustrating to just pay someone to haul everything away.
__________________
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:40 PM   #808
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wildwood
Posts: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I've had that happen to me in my Miata on some winding roads. They're so close all I see is their grill in my rear view mirror, and I'm just a few car lengths behind the car in front of me.

I generally pull off at the first wide shoulder, gravel patch, or driveway I see. (I had a little Ford totaled years ago when the car in front stopped, and the tailgater rammed my car into the stopped car. Ouch.) I just think of it as avoiding the impending accident.

I've even pulled off, placed the car safely out of the way, and waited 10-15 minutes when I've had lots of time, just to give the idjits time to clear the far end of a road so I could drive for a while without being stuck.


That is a great idea and when I factor in the possibility of someone hitting me from behind like you mentioned I think this will be my strategy from now on. Same with driving in snow, I drive a Ford Edge 4 WD when the WX is bad and I'm a newbie driving in snow so I usually pull over if someone wants to drive fast on icy roads.


Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:35 PM   #809
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,079
Contractors!!! The end of June I called 4 contractors to get a price on a garage door opener. My husband's sick and he wanted his truck stored in our back garage. I struggle with that door, it's 17' X 8'. Two of the contractors didn't show up. Contractor #3 kept asking me the same questions. This was a large company and the man said he was the owner. Said he'd write up a quote and email it to me. The last contractor seemed like the real deal, had measuring tape and ladder (I had to supply them to #3). Wrote up a quote and was done in 20-25 minutes. I never received a quote from #3 so I booked the "real deal" contractor. Told him I was a cash customer. Asked if he wanted a deposit and he said no. He said he had to order the unit and he would call me to set up installation. That was 3 weeks ago. I called Monday just to see if they had a date yet. Woman said someone would call me. I called Tuesday and same woman said "what!! no one called you. I'll have someone call you at 6pm." No one called. I called today and got an answering machine. At least they don't have any of my money. My husband always did any installations/repairs/building so it's a shock to see what we have to deal with. What is wrong with these people?
__________________
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:44 PM   #810
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 9,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Contractors!!! The end of June I called 4 contractors to get a price on a garage door opener. My husband's sick and he wanted his truck stored in our back garage. I struggle with that door, it's 17' X 8'. Two of the contractors didn't show up. Contractor #3 kept asking me the same questions. This was a large company and the man said he was the owner. Said he'd write up a quote and email it to me. The last contractor seemed like the real deal, had measuring tape and ladder (I had to supply them to #3). Wrote up a quote and was done in 20-25 minutes. I never received a quote from #3 so I booked the "real deal" contractor. Told him I was a cash customer. Asked if he wanted a deposit and he said no. He said he had to order the unit and he would call me to set up installation. That was 3 weeks ago. I called Monday just to see if they had a date yet. Woman said someone would call me. I called Tuesday and same woman said "what!! no one called you. I'll have someone call you at 6pm." No one called. I called today and got an answering machine. At least they don't have any of my money. My husband always did any installations/repairs/building so it's a shock to see what we have to deal with. What is wrong with these people?
Keep trying ! I needed some work done on my house & we tried Angie's list . Awful ! Next we tried home advisor .com . Also awful ! Even if they showed up the bids were all over the place .Home Depot & Lowe's . Awful no shows ! I finally tried Craig's list . The contractor came on time , gave a reasonable bid & did great work .
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:48 PM   #811
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post

Contractors!!!

.. Snip...

What is wrong with these people?
I think you answered your own question.
__________________
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #812
Full time employment: Posting here.
Birdie Num Nums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 735
I watched Amy Schumer on The Tonight Show last night, and she exemplified one of my pet peeves: using the word like in place of words such as said, replied, shouted, and similar words to express that someone said something. Or just constantly using the word like. BTW: otherwise I usually like her humor.
__________________
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:07 PM   #813
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,038
Watching a younger couple ahead of me in the grocery store. They had to have the deli person explain the relative sizes of 1/4, 1/3, and1/2 pound items. Hope they remember!
__________________
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:29 PM   #814
Recycles dryer sheets
ownyourfuture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 265
There's a 4 way stop about 100 feet from my home.

Yesterday afternoon on my way home, I was stopped there & was about to turn left, when I noticed a young guy, (I'll say 25 years old) passing my driveway coming towards the intersection I was stopped at.

He was riding a honda moped & was texting!!
Honest to God
I'd estimate he was going 25 mph

He only looked up about 15 feet before the intersection & was barely able to stop in time. I should have gotten the license plate and called the police, but didn't. I was kind of in awe at the stupidity I guess

This is horrible to say, but maybe it would be best if he was killed by a vehicle at some point. Stop him from breeding, if he hasn't already started.
__________________
ownyourfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:00 PM   #815
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 14,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
This is horrible to say, but maybe it would be best if he was killed by a vehicle at some point. Stop him from breeding, if he hasn't already started.
Nothing horrible about saying it, he's just another candidate for a Darwin Award.

Today's peeve is people who apparently slow down and even stop for hallucinations. I'm not trying to set a new land speed record, just go the speed limit. Geez.
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:10 PM   #816
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ls99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,493
Jeez Walt, were you in Johnstown PA today. I was behind two different space cadets.
__________________
There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:12 PM   #817
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 731
Another driving pet peeve....
Now, where I was raised and learned to drive, I thought there was a traffic law in every city in the US that "left turn yields" at all intersections w/o explicit green turn arrows.


Yet there is a disease that seems to be spreading in SoCal that on a green light, people are assuming the right of way for a left turn.


Was at a light, had my right turn signal on...light turns green and a string of cars across the intersection just started to roll on thru turning left.


And...and...there was even a sign over this intersection "Left Turn Yields".


I give a honk and get the f.u. buddy look.


I secretly dream of mounting a 50cal and being given 1-day's permission to 'clean up' the roads.
__________________
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
What is your pet peeve of the day?
Old 07-16-2015, 06:07 PM   #818
Full time employment: Posting here.
Accidental Retiree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 889
What is your pet peeve of the day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
Another driving pet peeve....
Now, where I was raised and learned to drive, I thought there was a traffic law in every city in the US that "left turn yields" at all intersections w/o explicit green turn arrows.


Yet there is a disease that seems to be spreading in SoCal that on a green light, people are assuming the right of way for a left turn.


Was at a light, had my right turn signal on...light turns green and a string of cars across the intersection just started to roll on thru turning left.


.

I noticed this driving pattern when I visited Rhode Island back in 2013. I had never seen people do that and cutting it so close. They scared the crap outta me.

Where I now live in SoCal, so many bad drivers do so many stupid things that I don't think I would notice this Rhodie trick among the rest.
__________________
Chief Retirement Strategist
The AR Group
Accidental Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:40 PM   #819
Recycles dryer sheets
Derslickmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 244
This is no lie, while walking on the greenbelt yesterday I saw a girl texting while riding her horse...
__________________
Derslickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:09 AM   #820
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,592
I just finished a 1600+ mile roadtrip from Texas to Tennessee and back, and noted numerous drivers moving at 80mph (or more) while staring at their phones, not even attempting to be stealthy...
__________________

__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is your pet a heat seeker? CuppaJoe Other topics 50 09-15-2015 12:24 AM
I've got a new pet peeve-limit $75 on credit card at gas station Tom52 Other topics 19 03-21-2012 02:48 PM
Advise on a Pep Peeve I have. My Dream Other topics 58 07-20-2010 03:24 PM
Piling food on your pet (or whatever) Nords Other topics 15 06-11-2005 08:32 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:41 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.