Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 11:36 AM   #821
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Contractors!!!...
What is wrong with these people?
Looks like you need them more than they need you. The economy must be booming.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2015, 11:51 AM   #822
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
My observation is that many people are self employeed because the can't hold a regular job. Especially contractors. YMMV
Old 07-17-2015, 12:16 PM   #823
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Unfortunately I do need them. I'm trying to keep this aggravation away from my husband. I just started calling a new group of contractors and I'm also adding more weights to my workout routine.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:01 PM   #824

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Contractors!!! The end of June I called 4 contractors to get a price on a garage door opener. My husband's sick and he wanted his truck stored in our back garage. I struggle with that door, it's 17' X 8'. Two of the contractors didn't show up. Contractor #3 kept asking me the same questions. This was a large company and the man said he was the owner. Said he'd write up a quote and email it to me. The last contractor seemed like the real deal, had measuring tape and ladder (I had to supply them to #3). Wrote up a quote and was done in 20-25 minutes. I never received a quote from #3 so I booked the "real deal" contractor. Told him I was a cash customer. Asked if he wanted a deposit and he said no. He said he had to order the unit and he would call me to set up installation. That was 3 weeks ago. I called Monday just to see if they had a date yet. Woman said someone would call me. I called Tuesday and same woman said "what!! no one called you. I'll have someone call you at 6pm." No one called. I called today and got an answering machine. At least they don't have any of my money. My husband always did any installations/repairs/building so it's a shock to see what we have to deal with. What is wrong with these people?
Same here, in Pa. Call a contractor, get no answer, or an answering machine. Leave message on machine with description of project, and your phone number, never even get a call back! I finally found a good carpenter/general handyman from a referral from my church from another contractor who was a church member. You really need to be on the inside somehow to get somebody good and not a ripoff. Or just get lucky, maybe. Or do it yourself, if possible!
Old 07-18-2015, 12:12 PM   #825

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
Another driving pet peeve....
I secretly dream of mounting a 50cal and being given 1-day's permission to 'clean up' the roads.
New Reality show?
Old 07-26-2015, 06:57 PM   #826
Recycles dryer sheets

In Sun Lakes, AZ it seems most old coots that reach age 65 feel they deserve a handicap sticker or hanger. They have no problems parking in handicap spots. Leaving no room for the truely disabled, or truely handicaped people .
I would volenteer for free to give out tickets to these a**holes.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:22 AM   #827
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
In Sun Lakes, AZ it seems most old coots that reach age 65 feel they deserve a handicap sticker or hanger. They have no problems parking in handicap spots. Leaving no room for the truely disabled, or truely handicaped people .
I've spoken to them sometimes. One guy, totally fit and healthy, parks in the only handicapped spot. I said "You don't look very handicapped." His reply: "Oh, it's okay. My wife is handicapped."
Old 08-01-2015, 08:32 AM   #828
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
While there are a lot of very inconsiderate people who park in handicap spots illegally, you can't always tell just by looking at them. Both of my parents have handicap hangers even though you may not see them as handicapped just by looking at them walk into a store. My dad looks young for his age and other than being a bit overweight looks fairly healthy. He has very bad Afib and sometimes can't even walk to the mailbox without having his heart start to race to 200 beats a minute. My mom looks healthy but she has severe and permanent shoulder pain. Even with morphine, every step she talks is agony. They both look healthy but are disabled and deserve a handicap sticker.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:37 AM   #829
Give me a forum ...

I still have a problem with people leaving their motors running.

The other day someone had his (on-diesel) Toyota Tacoma motor running the whole time his wife was shopping in the grocery store. We wasn't running the AC, the windows were open.

Rarely do people turn off their engines in the drive-thru lane or while waiting for road construction.

What gets me is that people do it simply out of ignorance. People think it takes more gas to stop and start the car, but that hasn't been true for decades. They think they need to charge their devices, or that it's good for the car.

https://www.edf.org/climate/reports/idling
Old 08-01-2015, 09:00 AM   #830
Gone but not forgotten

My pet peeve is people who feel the need to police handicap parking and glare at people they consider not handicapped enough . A lot of handicaps are not visible and you may be glaring at a very sick person.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:27 AM   #831
Give me a forum ...

My pet peeve is people who live in close proximity to others and make no effort to keep noise down. The neighbors next door, on the other side of a thin wall, are a mother and adult daughter. Every time they get up from the toilet they let the seat slam down. It's so loud that it wakes me up even with ear plugs in. If i'm watching a movie with ear buds in I can still hear them slam the seat. Why? I manage to get up from the toilet once a day without EVER slamming the seat. They also slam the door every time they leave. No one else does this.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:05 AM   #832
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yesterday I made a grocery run and watched a woman use her parking spot as a garbage dumping ground, then drove off.

Really?
Old 08-01-2015, 10:42 AM   #833
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I still have a problem with people leaving their motors running.

The other day someone had his (on-diesel) Toyota Tacoma motor running the whole time his wife was shopping in the grocery store. We wasn't running the AC, the windows were open.

Rarely do people turn off their engines in the drive-thru lane or while waiting for road construction.

What gets me is that people do it simply out of ignorance. People think it takes more gas to stop and start the car, but that hasn't been true for decades. They think they need to charge their devices, or that it's good for the car.

https://www.edf.org/climate/reports/idling
I'll agree with you on not running it while parked, but it just isn't safe to turn off a car in traffic (OK, unless the road has pretty much turned into a parking lot, you are locked in and no one is moving).

I've avoided a couple crashes by being able to accelerate and move out of the way. If I had to start the car first, I would have been hit.

I really question the numbers in that article.

Quote:
Turn off your ignition if you’re waiting more than 10 seconds
Really?

and

Quote:
Frequent restarts are no longer hard on a car’s engine and battery. The added wear (which amounts to no more than $10 a year) is much less costly than the cost of fuel saved (which can add up to $70-650 a year, depending on fuel prices, idling habits and vehicle type). Idling actually increases overall engine wear by causing the car to operate for longer than necessary.
Which is it - restarting increases wear by $10/year, or 'Idling actually increases overall engine wear'? Those are contradictory. And $70-$650 per year in fuel savings? 'Depending' is a pretty big 'depending'. The low end is about 6% of my annual fuel costs, I can't imagine saving that much by shutting off any more than I do now (I do not shut off in traffic, and I will occasionally keep it running while parked for the A/C if I'm waiting for someone). We occasionally get stick at a very long freight train crossing, I keep it running. What if that $10 average per year wear is due to 1 in 100 added starter replacements, and I'm the one who needs the starter replaced? Or a 1/1000 ring gear replacement? I prefer not to take the chance of added starts, unless more than a few minutes.

-ERD50
Old 08-01-2015, 11:20 AM   #834

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
My pet peeve is people who live in close proximity to others and make no effort to keep noise down. The neighbors next door, on the other side of a thin wall, are a mother and adult daughter. Every time they get up from the toilet they let the seat slam down. It's so loud that it wakes me up even with ear plugs in. If i'm watching a movie with ear buds in I can still hear them slam the seat. Why? I manage to get up from the toilet once a day without EVER slamming the seat. They also slam the door every time they leave. No one else does this.

My suggestion is to leave them a gift of one of those toilet seats that slowly closes on their doorstep. Sorry, can't help with door slamming.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-01-2015, 11:29 AM   #835
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
My suggestion is to leave them a gift of one of those toilet seats that slowly closes on their doorstep. Sorry, can't help with door slamming.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
I don't think that would help. It's a female-only household that lives next door so I assume the seat is always down. I assume it's sticking to hem when they get up and then when it releases from their skin it slams down. Shouldn't be too difficult to prevent that from happening.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:19 AM   #836

Excessive politeness annoys me when it defeats its own purpose.

For example, people going into the building ahead of me at w*rk who hold the door open when I'm more than 15 or so steps away.

(1) It makes me feel like I have to hurry so I don't make them stand there holding the door too long. Hey, it's early Monday morning and I'm moving slow. Don't make me run, ok?

(2) It's a secured entrance and we're supposed to open the door with our own cards, not "tailgate" others through the door.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:35 AM   #837

Today it's women/girls who wear perfume in the gym. I am not talking about someone who might hit the gym after w%$k and have lingering perfume--I go to the gym at 5:30 am and there are a few women who come in wearing full make up, false eyelashes and perfume. Had to abandon the treadmill this am because the fragrance was so strong.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:12 PM   #838
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
Today it's women/girls who wear perfume in the gym. I am not talking about someone who might hit the gym after w%$k and have lingering perfume--I go to the gym at 5:30 am and there are a few women who come in wearing full make up, false eyelashes and perfume. Had to abandon the treadmill this am because the fragrance was so strong.

I was in an aerobics class once and one woman, in addition to the makeup-perfume combo, was wearing 5 inch hoop earrings and 3 inch heels! Why?!?

Another gym peeve is the people on the treadmill who motivate themselves by shouting encouragements out loud. Hey buddy, I'm glad you are doing well but could you maybe just think good thoughts instead? It's tough to zone out when I keep hearing "come on! You can do it!" from the next treadmill.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #839
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
........It's tough to zone out when I keep hearing "come on! You can do it!" from the next treadmill. .............
Yea, I hear those same comments from the folks in the upstairs apartment.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #840

Gym peeves!

Folks who use the squat rack to do curls.

Women who lounge around on the bench in the locker room fiddling with their smartphones. HELLO, people would like to use that bench while getting dressed, and also the sign says that phones with cameras are prohibited in the locker room!
Closed Thread