Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2015, 02:10 PM   #841
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 11,549
OK... one just happened to me....

A door to door salesman that will not take NO for an answer... when it is a call (which is another peeve... the no call list does not work) I just ignore it...

But, the guy at the door you usually answer... I step out so the cats do not get out... they ask their question and I politely say 'not interested'... then they try something else... 'no, still not' as I am opening the door to go back inside... and they continue to try and sell something!!! REALLY, how many people open the door back up and say 'OH, sure I will buy your crap'....


And especially when I was just about to fall into a good nap....
__________________

__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2015, 03:31 PM   #842
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 74
Mine is people making U turns on red lights! Saw three cars do this the other day and it really isn't unusual in Georgia. This is the only place I have lived that I have seen it regularly.
__________________

__________________
Sasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:36 PM   #843
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 10,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasset View Post
Mine is people making U turns on red lights! Saw three cars do this the other day and it really isn't unusual in Georgia. This is the only place I have lived that I have seen it regularly.
Well, I mean it's not like you're driving across the intersection or anything. You're just using a little unused bit of it for a moment.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that, aside from police cars. Turn flashing lights on, U-turn to get to the doughnut shop catch a speeder.
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:37 PM   #844
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 11,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasset View Post
Mine is people making U turns on red lights! Saw three cars do this the other day and it really isn't unusual in Georgia. This is the only place I have lived that I have seen it regularly.

It might have to do with the law... maybe you are not running a red light unless you actually go through the intersection....

I know here when they had the red light cameras that they sent people who made right turns on a red a ticket even if they had not stopped... but then found out that the law was written in such a way that making the turn even after the red was not illegal (enough?)... I think they have changed it.... not sure...
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:06 PM   #845
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern Cal
Posts: 172
A door to door salesman that will not take NO for an answer...

But, the guy at the door you usually answer... I step out so the cats do not get out... they ask their question and I politely say 'not interested'... then they try something else... 'no, still not' as I am opening the door to go back inside... and they continue to try and sell something!!! REALLY, how many people open the door back up and say 'OH, sure I will buy your crap'....


A work colleague told me of his neighbor, a retired ex-cop, was visited by a door-to-door salesman who said he was selling magazine subscriptions and held out a rather worn-looking brochure of magazines. While the "salesman" was dressed in a short sleeved shirt, slacks, and sneakers, he was holding his left hand behind his back. When the homeowner tried to see what the salesman was concealing, the stranger slightly turned his body so his hand could not be seen. At that point the homeowner retrieved his service revolver he kept behind the front door, pointed it at the stranger, and demanded he show what was in his concealed hand. The stranger produced a 7 inch dagger/slicing knife. The stranger was held at gunpoint until the police arrived. You just never know . . .
__________________
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:01 PM   #846
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,079
Stopped at a food store on the way home and saw 2 women (50ish) in the produce department eating cherries out of the packages. I was shocked and said "you can't eat those without paying for them, it's stealing." They said "no it wasn't that everyone does it." I walked away. Saw them later taking samples from the bulk candy aisle. These were also people that thought it was okay to block the entire aisle with their cart. What is wrong with people that they think this isn't stealing?
__________________
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:11 PM   #847
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 731
Was at Torrey Pines State Park (again) walking the trails for my cardio workout.


There are several scenic overlooks for people to stop, enjoy the view, take in the vistas, be in the moment.


All shattered and ripped to rude reality by a group blasting their iPhones so that *everyone* within a hundred feet could share in their 'me' moment.


I had to find a bend in the trail behind a large outcropping to get away from sound.


It wouldn't have mattered if they were blaring my favorite group or song - for places like a state park with shared trails - please jam your earbuds in your ears and let the rest of us walk in quiet.
__________________
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:48 PM   #848
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,782
My pet peeve of the day is people who put public safety at risk.

The Rock Creek wildfire is about two hours driving time from where I live. It is currently over 4000 hectares and is burning out of control. It's believed to have started close to the highway by a cigarette tossed from a vehicle. To date, it has burned 30 homes.

Not far away in Oliver, at the Testalinden Creek fire, firefighting aircraft had to be grounded for five hours because someone was recording the action with a drone.



B.C. wildfires: Rock Creek fire smoke challenging firefighters - British Columbia - CBC News
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:42 PM   #849
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
John Galt III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Stopped at a food store on the way home and saw 2 women (50ish) in the produce department eating cherries out of the packages. I was shocked and said "you can't eat those without paying for them, it's stealing." They said "no it wasn't that everyone does it." I walked away. Saw them later taking samples from the bulk candy aisle. These were also people that thought it was okay to block the entire aisle with their cart. What is wrong with people that they think this isn't stealing?
They sound like your basic genuine slobs.
__________________
John Galt III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:10 PM   #850
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 11,549
OK... had something else come up this morning that just got to me...

I need to get my tires rotated... when I went to them the other day it was a 2 hour wait... I said I could not do it today, but I live 5 minutes and would like to be able to get in line and come before you do the work... the guy gave me the number and said call us and I will put you in line...

So, this morning I call and he said it was 45 minutes to an hour, but he would put me in line and I could come in about 30 minutes. So, 30 minutes later I show up. They said it was about an hour wait since I was not scheduled... OK, but I called and scheduled... so the new guy said he would put my name down and I could come in 40 minutes...

SOOO, I come in 40 minutes and am told, it will be about an hour wait.. WTF!!! I was here 40 minutes ago when I was told an hour wait... why do I have to wait for all the people that came AFTER me? I was then told that even if I HAD AN APPOINTMENT I would have to wait about 45 minutes to an hour before they would get to me...

Then why in the heck (read a different word there) do you even have appointment times

This is Discount Tires... they have better prices and I have already bought these tires from them and this is just a free rebalance and rotation....
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:34 PM   #851
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 14,388
I really make an effort to avoid lines. My long-standing policy is that if a business is too busy to take my money I'll spend it someplace else.
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:11 PM   #852
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Duxbury
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
OK... had something else come up this morning that just got to me...

I need to get my tires rotated... when I went to them the other day it was a 2 hour wait... I said I could not do it today, but I live 5 minutes and would like to be able to get in line and come before you do the work... the guy gave me the number and said call us and I will put you in line...

So, this morning I call and he said it was 45 minutes to an hour, but he would put me in line and I could come in about 30 minutes. So, 30 minutes later I show up. They said it was about an hour wait since I was not scheduled... OK, but I called and scheduled... so the new guy said he would put my name down and I could come in 40 minutes...

SOOO, I come in 40 minutes and am told, it will be about an hour wait.. WTF!!! I was here 40 minutes ago when I was told an hour wait... why do I have to wait for all the people that came AFTER me? I was then told that even if I HAD AN APPOINTMENT I would have to wait about 45 minutes to an hour before they would get to me...

Then why in the heck (read a different word there) do you even have appointment times

This is Discount Tires... they have better prices and I have already bought these tires from them and this is just a free rebalance and rotation....
Why not just rotate them yourself? In a little more than the time it took to type this post, I do my own tire rotations in my driveway (or garage if it's raining out. Of course then, I usually just wait for the next sunny day). Life's way too short to waste time driving to a tire store, waiting for them to get to my car, doing the `work,' listening to their spiel about how much unnecessary work I need done, and then returning home.

Then again, I feel the same way about oil changes which I also like (actually, prefer) doing myself. I guess to each their own.
__________________
nafddur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:25 PM   #853
Moderator
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 5,650
Discount Tire tricks: Find a close location with a Denny's or IHop next door (or other suitable breakfast place)

1. Make an appointment for the morning.

2. Wait 30 minutes, then call the location ans verify they have seen your appointment (sometimes they don't check the computer in the busy morning).

3. Go there and drop the car and tell them you will be next door.

4. Go next door and have a coffee and your favorite breakfast.

5. In an hour, go pick up your car.
__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:02 PM   #854
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 11,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafddur1 View Post
Why not just rotate them yourself? In a little more than the time it took to type this post, I do my own tire rotations in my driveway (or garage if it's raining out. Of course then, I usually just wait for the next sunny day). Life's way too short to waste time driving to a tire store, waiting for them to get to my car, doing the `work,' listening to their spiel about how much unnecessary work I need done, and then returning home.

Then again, I feel the same way about oil changes which I also like (actually, prefer) doing myself. I guess to each their own.
Tires need balancing... I can feel one or more out of balance....

Then again, I do not have good enough tools to get it done easily...

And finally.... they do it FREE.... just have to wait for them....
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:05 PM   #855
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 11,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Discount Tire tricks: Find a close location with a Denny's or IHop next door (or other suitable breakfast place)

1. Make an appointment for the morning.

2. Wait 30 minutes, then call the location ans verify they have seen your appointment (sometimes they don't check the computer in the busy morning).

3. Go there and drop the car and tell them you will be next door.

4. Go next door and have a coffee and your favorite breakfast.

5. In an hour, go pick up your car.

I think the whole point of making an appointment is that you do not have to wait for all the people who walked in... if I make a 9AM appt, I would expect to get service around that time... not 10AM or even later...

Also, nothing next door to go and get anything... so I would have to drive to a different store... not sure if there is anything next to it (them, as there are a few around here) either...
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:49 PM   #856
Moderator
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 5,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I think the whole point of making an appointment is that you do not have to wait for all the people who walked in... if I make a 9AM appt, I would expect to get service around that time... not 10AM or even later...

Also, nothing next door to go and get anything... so I would have to drive to a different store... not sure if there is anything next to it (them, as there are a few around here) either...
I'm just stating how it works at Texas DT stores in big cities.

One of my friends is a district manager for them (now in College Station) and all the stores are busy these days. There big problem is that the store staffs don't always see the online appointments when they start the shift and they also don't place a high priority on appointments for tire rotation/balance since they are free.

It sucks going there, and there are other tire shops like Firestone and Pep Boys.
__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:24 PM   #857
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 11,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I'm just stating how it works at Texas DT stores in big cities.

One of my friends is a district manager for them (now in College Station) and all the stores are busy these days. There big problem is that the store staffs don't always see the online appointments when they start the shift and they also don't place a high priority on appointments for tire rotation/balance since they are free.

It sucks going there, and there are other tire shops like Firestone and Pep Boys.
Thanks... the mgr of the store also explained it to me... so then why even offer appointments? That was my argument...

I think what corporate wants and what the stores do is not the same... but then again, it could be corporate that is fine with the way it is...

Yes, I will be checking out other stores now.... but I think DT beats them all in price... and I would not want to pay for balance and rotation every 5K miles or so... I also have been a customer for maybe 30 odd years...
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:32 PM   #858
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Thanks... the mgr of the store also explained it to me... so then why even offer appointments? That was my argument...

I think what corporate wants and what the stores do is not the same... but then again, it could be corporate that is fine with the way it is...

Yes, I will be checking out other stores now.... but I think DT beats them all in price... and I would not want to pay for balance and rotation every 5K miles or so... I also have been a customer for maybe 30 odd years...
Do they have a Facebook page? Consider giving constructive feedback there, where other potential customers can see it. That may get their attention.
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:07 PM   #859
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 11,549
Update on my Discount Tire saga...

Wrote to the company and complained... got a call this morning from the manager who said that is not what is supposed to happen...

Scheduled me for 11:30... I arrived at that time, got me in when the bay was empty, did the work and I was out of there in less than 20 minutes...

This is how an appointment is supposed to work!!!

But, just found out that my 90,000 mile Michelins are almost ready to be replaced at 30,000 miles... the manager said that Michelin is aware of the problem and I would get back a credit... said I got one more rotation and then will have to replace them...

If it ain't one thing it is another.....
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:25 PM   #860
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ls99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
OK... one just happened to me....

A door to door salesman that will not take NO for an answer... when it is a call (which is another peeve... the no call list does not work) I just ignore it...

But, the guy at the door you usually answer... I step out so the cats do not get out... they ask their question and I politely say 'not interested'... then they try something else... 'no, still not' as I am opening the door to go back inside... and they continue to try and sell something!!! REALLY, how many people open the door back up and say 'OH, sure I will buy your crap'....


And especially when I was just about to fall into a good nap....
There is a nifty little sign available for about 2 bucks.
It says "NO SOLICITING". I have on right at the entrance to my driveway. It works pretty good, those who ignore it get to stand at the door until they become bored.
__________________

__________________
There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is your pet a heat seeker? CuppaJoe Other topics 50 09-15-2015 12:24 AM
I've got a new pet peeve-limit $75 on credit card at gas station Tom52 Other topics 19 03-21-2012 02:48 PM
Advise on a Pep Peeve I have. My Dream Other topics 58 07-20-2010 03:24 PM
Piling food on your pet (or whatever) Nords Other topics 15 06-11-2005 08:32 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:27 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.