Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 06:25 PM   #921
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
And you have hand to grab them where the hair is short, and gently exclaim: we won't hurt each other now, will we?
I'd pay money to see you play that one out.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2015, 08:14 PM   #922
Full time employment: Posting here.

People, and it's usually women, who wear heavy fragrance at the gym. I go early, so it's not people who are coming from work and might have lingering fragrance on, it's the ones who get up and spray it on at 6 am to go workout. WHY?

Wild Irish Rogue
Old 09-26-2015, 11:10 AM   #923

Missing items you paid for at the grocery store!

Went this morning for just a couple of items for dinner today - got home and the carrots were missing (but on the receipt).

Grrr....my bad for chatting with the clerk and not paying attention to the bagger....still....grrr....
Old 09-26-2015, 01:35 PM   #924
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post

Went this morning for just a couple of items for dinner today - got home and the carrots were missing (but on the receipt).

Grrr....my bad for chatting with the clerk and not paying attention to the bagger....still....grrr....
Might help to check the trunk of your car. Same thing has happened to me. Turned out I didn't leave it at the supermarket. I just didn't grab all the bags out of the trunk.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:12 PM   #925

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Might help to check the trunk of your car. Same thing has happened to me. Turned out I didn't leave it at the supermarket. I just didn't grab all the bags out of the trunk.
That was the very first thing I checked...nope...fail at the grocery store.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:20 PM   #926

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
I put my grocery bags on the floor in the backseat area of my truck. Several times I've later heard things rolling around and found apples or pears that rolled out of the grocery bags.
BBQ-Nut, I've left things at the grocer and just called and they usually have it at customer service.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:27 PM   #927
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post

This week I took my parka and a fall coat to the dry cleaners. Their operation is off site. When I returned to pick them up, the fur trimmed hood of my parka was missing. Fortunately I spotted this while in the store. A quick phone call revealed that it was at the offsite location. I had to come back the next day to collect it. I asked for a discount or coupon and the clerk replied that she did. It have the authority to issue one. Whatever happened to a culture of customer service?
Old 09-26-2015, 02:33 PM   #928

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I put my grocery bags on the floor in the backseat area of my truck. Several times I've later heard things rolling around and found apples or pears that rolled out of the grocery bags.
BBQ-Nut, I've left things at the grocer and just called and they usually have it at customer service.
I suppose so, but I ain't driving back for 2 carrots at .56 cents.

Just the principal of the thing.

[note to self] play the grumpy old man, forget chatting up the clerks, and watch the baggers.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:05 PM   #929

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
THEN I get there and have to wait 25 minutes. Was just getting up to leave when I was called in.
WADR, I think you should chill out on this particular issue. I used to have the same gripe. But then on a couple of occasions the dentist ran into a problem that was considerably more involved than he initially thought. It would have been OK to have me come back for another appointment and get the job done, but he prefers to just soldier on and spend an extra half hour with me so I won't have to come back. DW uses the same dentist and she has had the same experience more than once.

I know it can be very annoying for the people in the waiting room, but when it's your turn to get the extra attention it feels really good.

Nowadays I mentally prepare myself for that kind of scenario and I bring my own reading material when I go to a medical or dental waiting room.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:37 PM   #930

My pet peeve is directed at my fellow ER.org posters.

This thread and its dozens of uses of the word "jealous" finally set me off:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ent-79040.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Envy#C..._with_jealousy
Quote:
"Envy" and "jealousy" are often used interchangeably in common usage, but the words stand for two distinct emotions. Jealousy is the result or fear of losing someone or something that one is attached to or possesses to another person (the transfer of a lover's affections in the typical form), while envy is the resentment caused by another person having something that one does not have, but desires for oneself.
In other words, it makes no sense to assign jealousy as an explanation for a negative comment delivered after a co-worker or acquaintance learns of another's planned retirement. The commenter has lost nothing. He may be envious, covetous or rapacious, but he's not jealous.

I feel better now. Carry on.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Old 10-12-2015, 09:47 PM   #931
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post

In other words, it makes no sense to assign jealousy as an explanation for a negative comment delivered after a co-worker or acquaintance learns of another's planned retirement. The commenter has lost nothing. He may be envious, covetous or rapacious, but he's not jealous.

My preferred reference is the OED (Oxford English Dictionary). The first definition of jealous therein reads as follows:

Feeling or showing an envious resentment of someone or their achievements, possessions, or perceived advantages

jealous - definition of jealous in English from the Oxford dictionary

I believe this describes bclover's situation very well.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:23 PM   #932
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Never pi$$ off your dentist. They have a drill. Did you see Marathon Man?
If the "Marathon Man" scares you, then you have not seen "The Dentist". I still recall watching the latter in a trip, years ago, while at a hotel.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-12-2015, 10:34 PM   #933
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post

As Meadbh noted, the modern usage shows the two words as synonyms. However, same as you, I prefer to reserve the word jealousy for cases involving love. Here's another reference from the Web.
Jealousy is an emotion, and the word typically refers to the thoughts and feelings of insecurity, fear, concern and anxiety over an anticipated loss or status of something of great personal value, particularly in reference to a human connection.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-13-2015, 05:35 AM   #934
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
My preferred reference is the OED (Oxford English Dictionary). The first definition of jealous therein reads as follows:

Feeling or showing an envious resentment of someone or their achievements, possessions, or perceived advantages

jealous - definition of jealous in English from the Oxford dictionary

I believe this describes bclover's situation very well.
+1

jeal·ous
/ˈjeləs/
adjective
feeling or showing envy of someone or their achievements and advantages

Sounds pretty synonymous to me.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 10-13-2015, 05:47 AM   #935
Give me a forum ...

My pet peeve is people who write posts using tickers, which most of the time I then have to go and look up.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 10-13-2015, 06:27 AM   #936

I cannot disagree that jealousy and envy have become synonymous in common usage.

My peeve is in two parts.

It is illogical that "I want to protect / keep what is mine" (jealously) has become synonymous with "I want what is yours" (envy).

In the ER arena, it is the broader public's usage at the root of my irritation. A smiling "I'm jealous!" is not a proper substitute for "Wow, what an accomplishment". Why would a well-meaning person make a statement that could be interpreted as "I have an envious resentment of your achievement!" ?

Signed,
Reformed User of "I'm Jealous" as a Compliment
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:49 AM   #937
Give me a forum ...

My wife goes to a Pain Management Clinic where every person walking in the door is simply in agony.

And the nurse calling back patients always says, "How you doing today?"

And the answer should universally be, "I feel like hell!"
Old 10-13-2015, 07:57 AM   #938

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
My pet peeve is people who write posts using tickers, which most of the time I then have to go and look up.
What would you change, PB?

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ork&page=rules

I'm kidding. I agree naked links can be annoying.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:20 AM   #939
Gone but not forgotten

My Pet Peeve is Allegiant Airlines . It has the most unprofessional crew I have ever seen . The flight attendants looked like high school drop outs with a wrinkled logo jersey and cheap jeans . The people at the ticket counter were equally awful plus they had a bad attitude . This was my first and last Allegiant flight.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:23 AM   #940
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
People, and it's usually women, who wear heavy fragrance at the gym. I go early, so it's not people who are coming from work and might have lingering fragrance on, it's the ones who get up and spray it on at 6 am to go workout. WHY?

Wild Irish Rogue

Because the are trolling?