Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 09:56 AM   #961
Moderator Emeritus

I wondered why all the periods were missing in the er-org storage closet Now I know
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2015, 09:57 AM   #962
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I like ellipses...a lot...but mostly because I am lazy and use them instead of trying to remember if I needed a : or a , or a ; in a given sentence...

I am a HUGE fan of emoticons!!

Old 10-14-2015, 09:57 AM   #963
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I found out recently that some people still believe in flat earth. Evidently NASA fabricated the round earth photo.
Are Flat-Earthers Being Serious? | Flat Earth Society

It bugs me that there are really, really silly people (the kind you cannot fix/cure) in this world.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
I think there's a tendency to not believe what we can't perceive for ourself.

For example, news that Playboy is US will no longer have naked pictures? Difficult to wrap my brain around .
Old 10-14-2015, 09:58 AM   #964
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbkmaine View Post
I have never understood why people think that yelling at a dog will make it bark less.
Sometimes yelling at the dog WILL make it bark less. But the downside is that it might pee on the floor more.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:58 AM   #965
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
So sorry that my posts upset you.... it is the way I write..... block me if you do not like them!!!
+1... (or 2...)!!!!
Old 10-14-2015, 10:05 AM   #966
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

For example, news that Playboy is US will no longer have naked pictures? Difficult to wrap my brain around .
I read that recently. Hugh might want to talk to his doctor about getting some help for his condition.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:34 AM   #967

My pet peeve today is that North Carolina is WAY too overregulated... besides stupid abc stores and crazy regulations on insurance, I can now add it won't let me invest in lendingclubs wth. really starting to re-think how long we will live in this state.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:21 AM   #968
Give me a forum ...

My pet peeve of the day is clicking on a news link only to find I have to subscribe to read the story.

I suppose that's the tug of war of the belief that the internet should be ad free vs full of ads .
Old 10-14-2015, 01:17 PM   #969
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I found out recently that some people still believe in flat earth. Evidently NASA fabricated the round earth photo.
Are Flat-Earthers Being Serious? | Flat Earth Society

It bugs me that there are really, really silly people (the kind you cannot fix/cure) in this world.
Practitioners of the Zetetic Method...

These folks tend to be Flat Earthers, and avid conspiracy theorists. Anything that contradicts their extrapolations from what observations they've made is the result of a conspiracy. They like to argue about basic mathematics, too.

For example, the water in my bathtub lies flat as a sheet. Therefor, the oceans must also be flat as a sheet, rather than be convex (as in the shape of a segment of a sphere).

On tides, from "Zetetic Cosmogony; Or, Conclusive Evidence that the World is Not a Rotating-revolving-globe" (1900):
Quote:
Tides are caused by the gentle and gradual rise and fall of the earth on the bosom of the mighty deep. In inland lakes, there are no tides ; which also proves that the moon cannot attract either the earth or water to cause tides. But the fact that the basin of the lake is on the earth which rests on the waters of the deep, shows that no tides are possible, as the waters of the lakes together with the earth rise and fall, and thus the tides at the coast are caused ; while there are no tides on waters unconnected with the sea.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:37 PM   #970
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
My pet peeve lately has been that nobody seems to take any pride at all in their work any more.

I was brought up to believe that no matter how lowly the job, and no matter how little I was paid to do it, there was dignity in a job well done and I should take pride in doing my job well. ....
+1 When DS, who has a tendency to be a slacker if he doesn't watch himself, was leaving home I told him that if he just showed up on time, paid attention and gave a care that he would automatically be ahead of about 80% of the people out there.

One thing that I thought was a key aspect of my career success was giving a damn and acting as if I was an owner (even though I wasn't).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 10-14-2015, 04:43 PM   #971
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1 When DS, who has a tendency to be a slacker if he doesn't watch himself, was leaving home I told him that if he just showed up on time, paid attention and gave a care that he would automatically be ahead of about 80% of the people out there.

One thing that I thought was a key aspect of my career success was giving a damn and acting as if I was an owner (even though I wasn't).
I'm glad to read your post. I'm beginning to think that your attitude, and mine, makes us fossils these days. Nobody gives a hoot any more.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 10-14-2015, 05:41 PM   #972
Give me a forum ...

Well, DD also has my attitude... in spades and perhaps to a fault. She is very diligent but is frustrated with the other idiots that she has to work with. She'll be quitting her current job soon and looking for a place with less idiots.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:56 PM   #973
Give me a forum ...

The folks who feel a need to drive around and tell me about their religion. Three of them out here today wanting to tell me about theirs, I quickly started telling them about my religion. They left pretty quickly, the driver never even got out.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:10 AM   #974

I hate it when you're watching a football game on TV and the broadcaster (ESPN in this case) decides you don't need to see the kickoff following the touchdown. You sit through the commercial, the game comes back on, and they're already lined up for the first down play AFTER the kickoff. You didn't really need to see that boring kickoff, did you? And ESPN gets more revenue from one more ad! Good for the economy! (sarcasm)
Old 10-16-2015, 10:51 AM   #975
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

Quote:
I'm glad to read your post. I'm beginning to think that your attitude, and mine, makes us fossils these days. Nobody gives a hoot any more.

Sorry, but not all young kids are slackers.... my DS has not slacked at all... he used to tell us we needed to get home if we were out to eat so he could do his homework... we have never asked him if he had anything to do...

Now he is working, doing tutoring for HS and middle school kids.... some times he works 7 days a week... he is always there on time and does what he is supposed to do.... he is not alone... two of his friends are doing the same as he....

I think all 3 will be very successful in their lives....

PS... according to my son he is not as rare as we might think.... we just do not interact with these kids in our every day life....
Old 10-16-2015, 10:57 AM   #976
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I can't agree with that generalization. I am constantly amazed at the commitment and dedication that many young people exhibit.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #977
Give me a forum ...

Who said that all young kids are slackers? We were just lamenting a general decline in people having pride in their work but it certainly wasn't any intent to paint all kids that way.

DD (not a kid anymore at 32) is very diligent. DS... different story. Same parents... same upbringing... WTF happened?

But now that DS has people working for him he now sometimes complains about his employees not having pride in their work and I just stare at him and smile. I think the reality is that he was more of a slacker at home and less so outside the house.

Old 10-16-2015, 01:32 PM   #978
Give me a forum ...

Not everyone is a type A, but most people I've worked around have at least tried to be conscientious. I've found that management's "gobbledygook of the day", tendency to blame the worker bees, cut the worker bees' pay/hours/jobs, while expecting improved performance and extra work, can be blamed for much of the reduction in "customer service". If a company actually cares about and promotes customer service, then it will happen. They obviously don't...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 10-16-2015, 02:02 PM   #979
Full time employment: Posting here.

Discourteous 'parkers'.

Was at the grocery store today, loading up when a mini-van pulls into a spot on the opposite side so close to the car on the right that there would be no room for the owner to get into their car.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:23 PM   #980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbkmaine View Post
I have never understood why people think that yelling at a dog will make it bark less.

It's the same principle when people yell at their two-year olds to stop crying.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Closed Thread