Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-31-2015, 01:45 AM   #1041
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ungrateful trick or treaters-
Last year at least two separate kids greeted my candy (a FULL SIZED BUTTERFINGER!) with disdain and asked if I had something without peanuts!!

How about, "Thank you" and take the stupid candy bar and trade it with somebody else that has whatever is your looking for?

Even if you have peanut allergy --same thing-- I don't think this is the time and place to ask the world to accommodate your allergies. That is just not reasonable.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2015, 02:09 PM   #1042
Recycles dryer sheets

People who take themselves too seriously.

Old 10-31-2015, 02:22 PM   #1043
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
Last year at least two separate kids greeted my candy (a FULL SIZED BUTTERFINGER!) with disdain and asked if I had something without peanuts!!

How about, "Thank you" and take the stupid candy bar and trade it with somebody else that has whatever is your looking for?

Even if you have peanut allergy --same thing-- I don't think this is the time and place to ask the world to accommodate your allergies. That is just not reasonable.

When I was a kid, my brother and I would go out the second trick or treating started and we would run around the neighborhood getting all the candy we could. Then we would go home and quickly empty our bags. We would put aside all the stuff we didn't like and our parents would give that out to other kids. Then we'd go out again and again doing the same thing. That way us kids got the candy we liked and our parents got free candy to give out since they were quite poor at that time. We were always grateful for whatever was handed out. Like you said, you can always trade with someone later.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:23 PM   #1044
Recycles dryer sheets

What is your pet peeve of the day?

About 10 years ago when I was living in the suburbs some kids parents dropped a note in everyone's mailbox asking "that everyone have peanut free candy for Bobby" and added that "we would prefer that you not store the candy anywhere near other candy that might have peanuts". Then the note went on to say what time Bobby would be coming around to get his special candy.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:23 PM   #1045

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
Grrr....is it such a leap to go from "Jane loses coverage on her 26th birthday" to "Jane has applied for our coverage and indicated / proved that her birthday is a certain date " to "Jane loses coverage on that certain date" ??
Clearly for them the leap is too great.

Like the man said "Ya can't fix stupid".
Old 10-31-2015, 05:08 PM   #1046
Dryer sheet aficionado

aja888 - you don't want to kill them! have a spray bottle with water and a touch of vinegar and spray the dog and if necessary the owner.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:20 PM   #1047

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post

Ya know, some kids have severe allergic reactions to peanuts - even just touching residual traces.

My son has been tested several times and is 'off the charts' for his reactions. He has been advised by his physician to not even come into physical contact with peanut butter.

So, just taking the kindly offered candy as good manners can be very dangerous.

Have you considered that?
Old 10-31-2015, 05:31 PM   #1048

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
Ya know, some kids have severe allergic reactions to peanuts - even just touching residual traces.

My son has been tested several times and is 'off the charts' for his reactions. He has been advised by his physician to not even come into physical contact with peanut butter.

So, just taking the kindly offered candy as good manners can be very dangerous.

Have you considered that?
This of course suggests that one tell the child that due to health reasons trick or treating on the street is off limits. (Perhaps organize a party for kids with peanut issues instead)
Of course 40 years ago in Houston you had the guy (since executed) who gave out poisoned candy and killed a couple of kids. It does suggest that better to go to a party of some sort.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:33 PM   #1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Perhaps organize a party for kids with peanut issues instead
This is the only option for a child with a peanut allergy. Peanuts are far too common ingredients in food preparations.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:43 PM   #1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
This of course suggests that one tell the child that due to health reasons trick or treating on the street is off limits. (Perhaps organize a party for kids with peanut issues instead)
Of course 40 years ago in Houston you had the guy (since executed) who gave out poisoned candy and killed a couple of kids. It does suggest that better to go to a party of some sort.
We educated our son early to ask and to politely decline peanut candy at Halloween.

Fortunately, we live in an neighborhood where parents were sympathetic to such situations.

We did have to face a very dangerous situation at school where in Kindergarten, a helper forced our son to eat his peanut butter sandwich because 'everyone else is eating as told, so should you', despite his being told to say that he is allergic to peanuts.

Fortunately, we had his Epipen registered and on hand at the head office and it was administered when he started to show symptoms.

The helper was dismissed later after review for callous disregard of established procedures and not listening to our son.

Would we prefer our son not have the allergy and the associated problems?

Of course - what parent wouldn't, as would our son.

It isn't fun and it's deadly serious.

Sure would be nice if more people had some compassion for this.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:55 PM   #1051
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We educated our son early to ask and to politely decline peanut candy at Halloween.

Fortunately, we live in an neighborhood where parents were sympathetic to such situations.

We did have to face a very dangerous situation at school where in Kindergarten, a helper forced our son to eat his peanut butter sandwich because 'everyone else is eating as told, so should you', despite his being told to say that he is allergic to peanuts.

Fortunately, we had his Epipen registered and on hand at the head office and it was administered when he started to show symptoms.

The helper was dismissed later after review for callous disregard of established procedures and not listening to our son.

Would we prefer our son not have the allergy and the associated problems?

Of course - what parent wouldn't, as would our son.

Sure would be nice if more people had some compassion for this.

I know that you have very strong feelings that you are right.... but I just do not see how it is everybody job to protect your boy... if he is allergic to peanuts, then only take him to neighbors that you know... do not show up on my door expecting me to make sure that my candy is 'clean'....

I also remember that when we were young, we did not hear about all these deadly allergies... I loved PBJ sandwiches.... so did my daughter... why should she suffer not having something she really loves for lunch because someone might have an allergy.... it is not like my daughter is spreading the PB all over the school...

I do agree that being forced to eat a PB sandwich is horrible... he should not have done so... be sent to the office and they would have handled it without him having a potential deadly problem...
Old 10-31-2015, 05:56 PM   #1052

Quote:
No doubt, and I think all but the most obtuse people are aware of that. But I also think part of dealing with it is to not put oneself or one's child in the position where coming in contact with peanuts is readily foreseeable and even likely, such as going trick or treating on Halloween.

What irritates others is expecting everyone else to alter their behavior to accommodate one person's medical condition. That is just not reasonable.

So, while I knew better than to hand out individual bags of peanuts, some of the wrapped candy does have peanuts in it. It is the parent's responsibility, not mine, to decide if the wrapped candy we hand out is safe for their kids.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:57 PM   #1053

But, a child declining the candy should not be met with disdain.

Right?

If not, then cancel my account here for the intolerance.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:13 PM   #1054

Quote:
But, a child declining the candy should not be met with disdain.

Right?
Right, not with disdain.

But the kid didn't say that he had an allergy. He just turned down a (free) candy with peanuts and asked for something else. Maybe he just doesn't like peanuts?

urn2bfree didn't say.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:46 PM   #1055

I live directly next door to a drive thru restaurant. My pet peeve is people who go to a drive thru with extremely loud exhaust on their cars. If you can't afford to buy a muffler, then you can't afford to eat out.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:55 PM   #1056
Recycles dryer sheets

Pet Peeve

My pet peeve is companies that provide only one method to contact them, especially if it is only e-mail. Just had a problem trying to contact a company and e-mail did not work. I had to post on a user forum and a moderator took pity on me and forwarded a message for me. Big hassle. Not sure if I will continue to do business with them.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:14 PM   #1057
Recycles dryer sheets

In honor of Halloween, my pet peeve is that big box stores will let you try on clothing but not costumes. What is the difference

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-06-2015, 03:06 PM   #1058

My pet peeve of the day - Robocalls.

So far today my home phone has received 14 robocalls. My cell phone, 3.
The home phone is not a big deal - we have it forwarded to google voice... most of the calls are for solar panel sellers and something in spanish that I don't understand (nor does google voice.)

The cell phone one is more annoying - it's a canned message saying I'm being sued by the IRS and to call them back immediately to resolve it. A quick google shows it's a spoofed number and a scam (as I suspected). But 3 calls so far - and it's only 1pm. The first one was at 6am!!!!

Very annoying.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:13 PM   #1059

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
My pet peeve of the day - Robocalls.

So far today my home phone has received 14 robocalls. My cell phone, 3.
The home phone is not a big deal - we have it forwarded to google voice... most of the calls are for solar panel sellers and something in spanish that I don't understand (nor does google voice.)

The cell phone one is more annoying - it's a canned message saying I'm being sued by the IRS and to call them back immediately to resolve it. A quick google shows it's a spoofed number and a scam (as I suspected). But 3 calls so far - and it's only 1pm. The first one was at 6am!!!!

Very annoying.

I just got one from someone from the Windows Technical Support about a problem with my windows computer. I've been a Mac guy for years. Anyway, I had heard if this scam before and was going to just hang up...but I lost control and went on a cussing rampage into the phone at a louder volume than I usually speak. And I don't normally cuss...don't know what came over me!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-06-2015, 03:18 PM   #1060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I just got one from someone from the Windows Technical Support about a problem with my windows computer. I've been a Mac guy for years. Anyway, I had heard if this scam before and was going to just hang up...but I lost control and went on a cussing rampage into the phone at a louder volume than I usually speak. And I don't normally cuss...don't know what came over me!
Next time don't get mad, get even, and entertain yourself while doing so. Do this, the guy keep the scammer on the phone for 15 minutes: