Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-06-2015, 03:25 PM   #1061
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I just got one from someone from the Windows Technical Support about a problem with my windows computer. I've been a Mac guy for years.
I got one a while back informing me that 'their' records show that my house furnace had not been checked and adjusted on a timely basis. If I did not have this done very soon, as a licensed contractor they would 'have to report me to the Fire Marshal' or risk losing their license.

I have electric heating.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2015, 03:25 PM   #1062
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I just got one from someone from the Windows Technical Support about a problem with my windows computer. I've been a Mac guy for years. Anyway, I had heard if this scam before and was going to just hang up...but I lost control and went on a cussing rampage into the phone at a louder volume than I usually speak. And I don't normally cuss...don't know what came over me!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Next time don't get mad, get even, and entertain yourself while doing so. Do this, the guy keep the scammer on the phone for 15 minutes:
I had a guy call me the other day telling me my PC was infected. I kept him on the line for about 10 minutes, just playing along.

When I get a call from an obvious donor request and they say: "hello, Marko!...", I say "wait a minute, let me get him". Then I put the phone down and come back in 20 minutes (or when I hear the phone beeping)

Old 11-06-2015, 03:42 PM   #1063

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post

When I get a call from an obvious donor request and they say: "hello, Marko!...", I say "wait a minute, let me get him". Then I put the phone down and come back in 20 minutes (or when I hear the phone beeping)
I may use that with the next round of political harassment calls begin.

Old 11-06-2015, 03:44 PM   #1064
Recycles dryer sheets

My son had a allergy to milk, corn and chocolate, it never stopped him from the Halloween experience. He understood the circumstances of eating candy with the above allergens, so it was promptly traded for the home made candy she had waiting. No exasperated kid, neighbors, or parents.

Just a wonderful celiac wife, mother who did what she had to do to make it all work out.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #1065
Give me a forum ...

Web sites that sell a product or service but make it very hard to find out how much it costs.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:52 PM   #1066

Quote:
I may use that with the next round of political harassment calls begin.

Reminds me, I need to figure out how to get an mp3 of Slim Whittman music, to put the telemarketers on hold, might work like on Mars Attacks
Old 11-08-2015, 07:35 AM   #1067
Recycles dryer sheets

More of an eye roll than a pet peeve but like some of you I visit other sites.

When people post under the guise of "looking for advice"but are clearly bragging. Real examples:

From a car forum:
"Oh my DH just bought me a Bentley how do I handle people asking me how much it cost"?

From a fashion forum:

"I feel so awkward when I take out my black American Express card because everyone knows you have to be very wealthy to get one, how do I handle the stares"?

Same forum:

"Ugh! I'm not trying to brag but I'm very beautiful and just so over old men trying to hit on me what should I do"?

Then well meaning people post with the intent to help allowing the OP way more mileage out of the thread than needed lol.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:04 PM   #1068
Give me a forum ...

My pet peeve of the day is when folks who really should be at home but show up sick at w*rk. Case in point, saw the cashier at the grocery store cough in his hands a few times then into his shirt to prevent coughing in open air. All the while ringing up the groceries, handling the items through the conveyor belt and cart.

Probably in my mind, but now I feel a tickle in my throat .
Old 11-13-2015, 09:08 AM   #1069

My pet peeve of the day is my DH's inattention to his housecleaning. I have been sick and in bed (pneumonia-it was bad!) since Saturday until Wednesday, so the last couple of days as I sat a little less wilted, I've been a nag about housework and DH did some straightening up. I am cleaning the kitchen this morning and sat down at our kitchen desk for a moment (which also needs decluttering.) At the front edge of the desk is a single "Smartie" candy, which DS probably dropped somewhere in the kitchen or family room. Someone had picked it up and placed it on the desk, directly over the trash bin under the desk. DS has been out of town this week, so I know the culprit.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:21 AM   #1070

EWG, glad you are feeling a bit better! And yes, totally sympathize!

DH famously, a few years ago, in a sudden spurt of helpfulness, asked me innocently "so do we have one of those things, you know, those things you use to clean the toilet?"
Once I replied in the affirmative and realized the implications in a 20+ marriage of those words, I swore as God as my witness that I would never clean a toilet again.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #1071
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
At the front edge of the desk is a single "Smartie" candy, which DS probably dropped somewhere in the kitchen or family room. Someone had picked it up and placed it [I]on the desk, directly over the trash bin under the desk.
Ha, yes, I hear ya! The plastic ring off the milk cap set on the counter right over the trash can. Or empty envelopes from opened mail, or the empty tea box or vitamin bottle. Or the clean utensils set on the breadboard (which BTW is left covered in crumbs) right over the drawer where they go. Need we discuss open cupboard doors?

To DBF's credit, he's Johnny-on-the-spot when the cat yacks up a hairball. Does a good job, too, with the pet spotter spray and the little green machine.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #1072
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
Ha, yes, I hear ya! The plastic ring off the milk cap set on the counter right over the trash can.
Here it is the gum wrappers--"it's in your hand already, put it in the trash. Are we keeping it because we might need to keep to re-wrap the gum in the future? " But I'm guilty of far more flagrant housekeeping offenses, so I've got no room to talk.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:25 AM   #1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
My pet peeve of the day is when folks who really should be at home but show up sick at w*rk. Case in point, saw the cashier at the grocery store cough in his hands a few times then into his shirt to prevent coughing in open air. All the while ringing up the groceries, handling the items through the conveyor belt and cart.

Those low end jobs don't offer sick days. You call in, you lose your job. At my previous employer, on your 4th call in you got your review pushed back 6 months, 5th resulted in review pushed back additional 6 months, 6th you got a meeting with department head and company manager, 7th you were fired. If you got 5 in one year then the next year your review was pushed back 6 months on your 3rd call in, meeting after 4th, and fired after 5th call in. You either work sick or lose your job.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:49 PM   #1074

What is your pet peeve of the day?

Deleted
Old 11-14-2015, 04:17 PM   #1075
Give me a forum ...

Laborers who do not show up for an appointment , I stayed home Thursday to wait for a painter to give me an estimate . No one called or showed up .
Old 11-14-2015, 04:52 PM   #1076
Recycles dryer sheets

The overuse of the word "actually", actually.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:08 PM   #1077
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Laborers who do not show up for an appointment , I stayed home Thursday to wait for a painter to give me an estimate . No one called or showed up .
All too common in my experience. My average for independent contractors (not "laborers") to show up when promised is about 40%. A former neighbor, a banker, used to say "that's why most small businesses stay small."
Old 11-14-2015, 09:38 PM   #1078
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry night View Post
The overuse of the word "actually", actually.
Or 'literally' when they really mean 'figuratively'. As in "I literally had to poke my eyes out with a hot poker after catching a glimpse of that" (then how did you you type that response? You really got out of the hospital soon, I hope you learn to cope with this disability.). Or... "The tollway was literally a parking lot on my way to work today" (then how did you get to work? And did you shut off your engine, or leave it running all day in the 'parking lot'?).

Follow up pet peeve - when I question the correct use of language like that, DW and/or others will say "but you know what I mean". No, I will assume you meant what you said, I'm not a mind reader. Communication is what led to the advancement of civilization, we should use it properly.

-ERD50
Old 11-14-2015, 09:44 PM   #1079
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
All too common in my experience. My average for independent contractors (not "laborers") to show up when promised is about 40%. A former neighbor, a banker, used to say "that's why most small businesses stay small."
And these tend to be the same tradespeople who complain when work is slow. Hello...
Old 11-15-2015, 08:23 AM   #1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

Where I worked we had a guy who was very proud of never having taken a sick day. He never thought about the number of sick days he was causing.