Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

What is your pet peeve of the day?
Old 11-28-2015, 01:14 PM   #1141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Grade school students should pass this with a 100% score.

A subtle joke...

I have caught myself mixing up then and than occasionally when making a post, and have to hurry up to correct it before too many readers see it. Of course I know the difference, but I fear old age is catching up with me. And yes, I have written tread instead of thread at least once.

Recently, I wrote Ebinizer Scrooge instead of Ebenezer, and when I later saw that it did not look right it was too late to correct. Arghh!

Alzheimer cannot be too far ahead.

That is one of the mysterious things that confound me also. I can understand misspelling "Ebinizer" or any word for that matter. Usually my spelling is pretty good, but I have to proof read for using wrong words such as their and there. In theory proofreading should not help that. I don't know why I do that and have to correct it when I clearly know it is wrong to begin with.
Maybe you need to send the Alzheimer meds my way instead of using them yourself, NW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2015, 01:27 PM   #1142
Give me a forum ...

I don't know why, but I do not think I have ever mixed up it's and its, or their and there. If I ever catch myself doing that, I may have to shoot myself. On the forehead.

With a rubber band.

And I should have written "Grade-school students should pass this with the 100% score".

PS. By the way, 100% is what I believe my two children would get on this test back when they finished grade school.

PPS. I do not think they would be able to tell which of the two words principle and principal to use when talking about investing. They knew nothing of investing at that age.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-28-2015, 03:09 PM   #1143
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's just the principle of the thing to know how to spell principal.

Be glad that you don't live in Libya or anywhere in that region; as long as the name is phonetically correct, it is acceptable. Qadafi, Gaddafi, Qaddafi to name a few.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:17 PM   #1144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Be glad that you don't live in Libya or anywhere in that region; as long as the name is phonetically correct, it is acceptable. Qadafi, Gaddafi, Qaddafi to name a few.
Good luck Googling anything!
Old 11-28-2015, 04:40 PM   #1145

Quote:
It's just the principle of the thing to know how to spell principal.
Or as many elementary school teachers would say:
"Basically I like the school, it's just the principal of the thing."
Old 11-28-2015, 07:15 PM   #1146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Or as many elementary school teachers would say:
"Basically I like the school, it's just the principal of the thing."
Is it because their principal has no principles?

About investing, I have been told this quote that supposedly came from Buffett: "Rule No.1: Never lose money. Rule No.2: Never forget rule No.1."

I think Buffett's principle is not to lose principal.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-28-2015, 07:32 PM   #1147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think the spellings are standardized in Arabic, it's just the translation (really, the transcription) of proper nouns into English where a lot of latitude is permitted.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:09 PM   #1148
Give me a forum ...

The above is a phonetic transcription, same as Peking which is now Beijing.

By the way, an American tourist may have a tough time finding a train bound for Naples if that is what he looks for. The Italians call it Napoli. Venice is really Venezia.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:15 PM   #1149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The above is a phonetic translation, same as Peking which is now Beijing.

That was an interesting one to me... In the 70s it was Peking... Then some years later it just disappeared and became Beijing. I remember it took a while before I knew it was the same city.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:32 PM   #1150
Give me a forum ...

Peking duck is still one of my favorite dishes. Beijing duck just sounds wrong, and probably tastes bad too.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:17 PM   #1151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Peking duck is still one of my favorite dishes. Beijing duck just sounds wrong, and probably tastes bad too.
I have had Beijing duck in Beijing. It was delicious. But the washroom was awful.

When did Bombay become Mumbai? And when did Madras become Chennai?

I am going to Firenze in 2016. Some of you may know it as Florence.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:11 AM   #1152

I've never understood why people insist on translating place names. Why not just call a city what its inhabitants call it? Honestly, this has bothered me since I was a kid.

Also, we do it inconsistently. Munich instead of München and Prague instead of Praha, but Rio de Janeiro and Paris.

Definitely a pet peeve of mine.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:34 AM   #1153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I have had Beijing duck in Beijing. It was delicious. But the washroom was awful.

When did Bombay become Mumbai? And when did Madras become Chennai?

I am going to Firenze in 2016. Some of you may know it as Florence.
Joking about roast duck aside, I think Beijing is a lot closer to how the Chinese call their capital than Peking. Perhaps they had been bothered by the "P" over the years, and only in the late 20th century gained enough clout to demand it changed.

I do not know about Bombay and Mumbai, but suspect the same story.

Quote:
I've never understood why people insist on translating place names. Why not just call a city what its inhabitants call it? Honestly, this has bothered me since I was a kid.

Also, we do it inconsistently. Munich instead of München and Prague instead of Praha, but Rio de Janeiro and Paris.

Not my pet peeve, but I wonder the same. Often, a phonetic transcription is needed because of the native written language. It is not just languages such as Chinese, Japanese, or Arabic, but even Cyrillic or Greek cause difficulties. But why change Italian names?

I think the French and English versions of place names got picked up by other countries, then became de facto international names.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:44 AM   #1154

Quote:
I think the French and English versions of place names got picked up by other countries, then became de facto international names.
Sometimes, but not necessarily.

In Portuguese for example, a couple of well-known cities in the USA are Nova Iorque and São Francisco.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:48 AM   #1155
Administrator

Incorrect pronunciation is not limited to names of foreign cities. My relatives call the US capital "Warshington". Someday they may look closely and see there is no "r" in that name.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:00 AM   #1156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Incorrect pronunciation is not limited to names of foreign cities. My relatives call the US capital "Warshington". Someday they may look closely and see there is no "r" in that name.
I have first cousins who remove an R from my name. They are from Massachussetts, where they left their cah in Hahvahd Yahd.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:03 AM   #1157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Someday they may look closely and see there is no "r" in that name.
But they will argue that there should have been.

In different languages, often people who speak a dialect will change the spelling of a word to match their own phonetic distortion. What can you do? Put them in jail?

Old 11-29-2015, 09:11 AM   #1158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Why not just call a city what its inhabitants call it?
City? Heck, whole countries get mangled names. I had a rental car in Germany (aka Deutschland) many years ago and got very lost looking for a town in Bavaria (aka Bayern). I'm not very smart, but when I saw the "Welcommen to Osterreich" (aka Austria) sign, I figured I was probably headed in the wrong direction.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:16 AM   #1159
Give me a forum ...

That would certainly throw me in a loop. We have not toured Germany or Austria, by the way.

On people's wrong writing to match their mispronunciation, I am sure we have all seen people who write "should of" or "could of" instead of "should have" or "could have". They talk like that too. It is not just wrong spelling, but the grammatical error is so grave. ARGHHH! It just drives me insane.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:18 AM   #1160
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Be kind to us unlearned. We have never been there. We just pronounce the way others pronounce it. . I did not know until just now Munich and Prague were not pronounced correctly.

Closed Thread