Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Elderly drivers(usually) who drive down the road for miles with their left foot on the brake and their right on the gas. Probably the same ones who leave the blinker on when they're not turning.
That's what is called "being prepared".
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2014, 12:38 PM   #102
Give me a forum ...

I used to do this too (brake pedal) , but lately I'm more likely to give in and just stay in the right lane, even though it often means driving slower than I'd like. The left lane has gotten way too mean and nasty.

A few days ago, at 2:30 in the afternoon no less, I got "pushed" into doing 70 mph, only to have the pusher jerk his vehicle into the right lane, accelerate to at least 90 mph, and practically take off my right headlight while crossing into the left lane in front of me, apparently to show me how I'd annoyed him by going so "slow." And no cop in sight.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
That type of behavior results in the left foot touching the brake pedal, just enough to light up the brake lights. I don't slow down, or brake, it just let's them know I might have to. I've been rear ended by 3 careless drivers who were all tailgating, seems like they stay further back, when the brake lights come on, yes I get a few one finger salutes when I do this.
MRG
Old 04-26-2014, 12:42 PM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Telemarketers! OK. That's actually not my pet peeve of the day, it's my pet peeve of my lifetime!
Old 04-26-2014, 01:03 PM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

Targeted Internet advertising; just like the ones here with someone showing off a mouthful of implants immediately after clicking the thread about implants....
Old 04-26-2014, 01:36 PM   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
Targeted Internet advertising; just like the ones here with someone showing off a mouthful of implants immediately after clicking the thread about implants....
"Adblock" works wonders here.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:39 PM   #106
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I used to do this too (brake pedal) , but lately I'm more likely to give in and just stay in the right lane, even though it often means driving slower than I'd like. The left lane has gotten way too mean and nasty.

A few days ago, at 2:30 in the afternoon no less, I got "pushed" into doing 70 mph, only to have the pusher jerk his vehicle into the right lane, accelerate to at least 90 mph, and practically take off my right headlight while crossing into the left lane in front of me, apparently to show me how I'd annoyed him by going so "slow." And no cop in sight.

Amethyst
I used to encounter morons like this quite often as I used to drive a considerable amount for work. I would often daydream about having one of those vintage Chevy's from the 50's that were built like a tank and use it to muscle the other car off the road! The offender in the newer car would be badly banged up while my tank might have a scratch or two.

Of course I would never actually do this but it was fun to fantasize about while driving to my next call.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:15 PM   #107

Curmudgeon mode on. Having more and more people parking in my " far away from other cars and therefore safe from [self-censored]'s who open their doors onto your car " parking spots. I'm finding more and more cars in my favorite safe spots lately. Curmudgeon mode still on.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:26 PM   #108

Customer Service people who have names you've never heard of before. "Hello, this is Mikaska, how may I help you?" or "Hello, this is Kasheeza, how may I help you ?"

I want to say "Hi, xxxxxxxx " but I can never understand the name.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Customer Service people who have names you've never heard of before. "Hello, this is Mikaska, how may I help you?" or "Hello, this is Kasheeza, how may I help you ?"

I want to say "Hi, xxxxxxxx " but I can never understand the name.
I hate it when you call them and they ask "How may I exceed your expectations today?" I feel like saying "You can send me a check for a thousand dollars".
Old 04-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #110

People who drive in the left hand passing lane and won't pass or take forever to pass. In this age of the crazies, I wouldn't be tapping my brake lights or slowing down, there's so much road rage out there. I get out of the tailgaters way as soon as I can.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:34 PM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Retire View Post
My pet peeve are people who use handicapped parking spots that don't need them. Took my nephew out to breakfast, but the handicapped spots were full. We ended up parking in an end parking spot further away that allowed us to get his wheelchair next to his seat so he could get out. When we went by the cars parked in the handicapped spots, two of them didn't have handicapped permits or plates. Where's a cop when you need one!
+1k
Old 04-27-2014, 06:09 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
I would often daydream about having one of those vintage Chevy's from the 50's that were built like a tank and use it to muscle the other car off the road! The offender in the newer car would be badly banged up while my tank might have a scratch or two.
A checker is the perfect car for this if you can't find something bigger, like a '62 Fleetwood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Checker.JPG (55.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-27-2014, 07:33 AM   #113

Creepers! People that slow down and creep up to a traffic light when they are a good distance away. Today I was hurrying to my grandparents' for small emergency and missed being able to get the left turn arrow twice at 2 busy intersections. I see this almost everyday driving to work but had a hard time dealing with it today. Why do they creep up to the light and blocking people from getting to the left or right hand turning lanes
Old 04-27-2014, 08:11 AM   #114
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am a motorcycle rider and use my bike (Victory Crossroad) often to get around. My bike has the factory exhaust pipes and is smooth and quiet.

I can't stand folks that put straight un-baffled pipes on their bikes - some are ridiculous loud and then also backfire (like a gunshot) because the unrestricted pipes mess up the fuel mixture. The worst are the guys who then rev the motor at stops.....makes everyone around them dislike motorcycle riders

We have a guy that put on very loud pipes in our riding group - he is delegated to the "tail gunner" position at the end of the group on all rides.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:28 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

People who get on a circuit training machine at the gym which allows you to sit or lie down - and then just sit or lie there, thinking about their day I suppose. I can complete 4 machines (2 sets of 20 reps each) while some of these jokers are just sitting there doing nothing. And no, they don't want to let you work in - since they are "just getting started."

Amethyst
Old 04-27-2014, 08:30 AM   #116
Moderator Emeritus

Getting seated next to the noisy/high traffic kitchen/waiter pick up area in a busy restaurant when better seating is available.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:59 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

What happens when you ask for the better seating? If they blow you off, that elevates this from "peeve" to "crime."

A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Getting seated next to the noisy/high traffic kitchen/waiter pick up area in a busy restaurant when better seating is available.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:59 AM   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What happens when you ask for the better seating? If they blow you off, that elevates this from "peeve" to "crime."

A.
yeah, that's what we do...tell them the kitchen entrance is not acceptable and *hopefully* get a better table.

Busy restaurants may make you wait if no other table is available. That's what pisses me off about places like that...they cram tables into places that are not desirable from a customer's point of view. It's all about revenue per square foot, I guess.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:34 AM   #119

Quote:
People who get on a circuit training machine at the gym which allows you to sit or lie down - and then just sit or lie there, thinking about their day I suppose. I can complete 4 machines (2 sets of 20 reps each) while some of these jokers are just sitting there doing nothing. And no, they don't want to let you work in - since they are "just getting started."

Amethyst
We have one of those at out gym. She reads while working out w/the weight machines. Timed her once and she took 20+ minutes to work through 3 machines. DH felt her wrath when he got tired of waiting for her to complete his last one and asked to work in. The jerks with their cell phones at least are pleasant and apologetic when you ask to work in.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Those tiny plastic threads and T pieces that hold tags to new clothing. Can barely see them, need three hands to remove: one to hold clothing, another for scissors and the third to catch the T pieces so they don't wind up either stuck in the item or on the floor to be discovered by bare feet at 4 am.
Yeah, Swiftach is a 4 letter word.
Hard to believe that those impossible to open plastic packages have escaped notice in this thread. I've spilled more than a drop of blood wrangling products out of those packages.
Closed Thread