Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 10:41 AM   #1241
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
Heh. We took a trip to Solvang a few years ago, and while riding our bikes around a residential neighborhood, we passed a large church. This sign was on a front yard fence across the street from the church. It still gives me a chuckle.
Reminds me of a sign I saw at a church parking lot: Thou Shalt Not Park Here.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2015, 10:51 AM   #1242
Give me a forum ...

The person at Walmart who had to come to w*rk sick. Now I have it👎. I don't want it, DW will probably have it next.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:53 AM   #1243
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
....No, I don't want to learn the icons (ie adapt to the program). ....
... is someone having a bad day?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 12-20-2015, 11:46 AM   #1244
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I'm looking at you, Honda. Which button turns on my windshield defroster, and which does the back window? The buttons look the same, except one of the "windows" is rectangular and one is an opened conic section. Neither my windshield nor my back window is rectangular, and the curvy conic section doesn't match either.

Those have been the standard icons on every car I've ever driven since I started driving 18 years ago. Something tells me it's been going on much longer. If 7 billion people are used to it, I don't think it makes sense to change now. The conic section is your front windshield, the rectangle is your back.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-20-2015, 11:49 AM   #1245
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
Those have been the standard icons on every car I've ever driven since I started driving 18 years ago. ........
If it is any consolation, samclem, I have the same gripe. It wouldn't kill them to have words and the universal symbol, particularly for a high volume product in a country with one official language.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:52 AM   #1246

Quote:
The conic section is your front windshield, the rectangle is your back.
On my 2013 Honda, the button with the conic section also has the word FRONT on it. The other button has the word REAR in addition to the icon.

Maybe they gave me the "for dummies" model and gave samclem the "sophisticated user" model?
Old 12-20-2015, 11:54 AM   #1247
Give me a forum ...

The icons are pretty standard, but there are a lot more of them on newer vehicles with multiple electronic systems. I certainly faced a learning curve moving from my 1995 Honda to my 2012 Honda. However, there is a handy-dandy electronics guide that I keep in the glove compartment just in case. Icons are preferable to writing in Canada because everything would have to be in both official languages!
Old 12-20-2015, 12:01 PM   #1248
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Hey, it's a peeve, my peeve, I've nurtured it a long time and wanted it to see the light of day here

Quote:
If 7 billion people are used to it, I don't think it makes sense to change now. The conic section is your front windshield, the rectangle is your back.
1980: "Smedley, billions of people have lifted and carried their luggage around by a handle. It has been like this for generations. Putting wheels on a suitcase is dumb, there's no reason to change now. Acme Luggage Company won't be taking your idea."
Neither my front or rear glass is or looks like a rectangle. They both look like conic surface sections. But one of them does have wires in it--coincidentally the wires controlled by the switch. How hard would it be to show those? If we're going to have an icon, it should at least be a good, accurate, clear one. (Newton would be a good example . . . groan).
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
If it is any consolation, samclem, I have the same gripe. It wouldn't kill them to have words and the universal symbol, particularly for a high volume product in a country with one official language.
Thanks. I guess I could use my label maker, but that's not a great answer for a rental car--or computer apps!
Old 12-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #1249
Give me a forum ...

Here is a simpler dashboard. 1955 Buick

Old 12-20-2015, 01:03 PM   #1250
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
..............Thanks. I guess I could use my label maker, but that's not a great answer for a rental car--or computer apps!
Yet another reason to carry a grease pencil.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:22 AM   #1251
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Here is a simpler dashboard. 1955 Buick

Hey, where's the radio in your Buick?
Old 12-21-2015, 06:48 AM   #1252
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
Still at the factory.

Like the 56 Chevy my parents bought new, a radio was an option at added cost - which my frugal dad saw as a total waste of money.

When I "inherited" the car seven years later I bought a radio from a salvage yard and installed it. My friends in HS would have never let me live it down if they couldn't listen to Wolfman Jack.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:29 AM   #1253
Recycles dryer sheets

'Rachael' calling me almost everyday on my cell phone to tell me my credit is ok but...................
Old 12-21-2015, 07:32 AM   #1254

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdt22 View Post
'Rachael' calling me almost everyday on my cell phone to tell me my credit is ok but...................
Surely burning Rachael at the stake wouldn't be considered cruel and unusual, would it?
Old 12-21-2015, 07:42 AM   #1255
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Years ago we lived on a busy 2 lane highway with no shoulder. Had a long single driveway, large ditch on both sides of the road. At least once a month we had someone pull in our driveway to either change a tire or broken down. At first I didn't mind but after a while it became a pain. Especially when I would load up the boys to take them somewhere and couldn't get out! Once I lent a lady a jack to change a tire, went inside to check on my dinner cooking, came back outside to see her driving away with my jack! I was on the phone with the police when she knocked on my door with my jack. She couldn't believe I was going to report her! I told her in no uncertain terms that she was lucky she came back.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:55 PM   #1256

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdt22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Surely burning Rachael at the stake wouldn't be considered cruel and unusual, would it?
No, but you might be convicted of burning waste without a permit...
Old 12-21-2015, 03:24 PM   #1257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
Heh. We took a trip to Solvang a few years ago, and while riding our bikes around a residential neighborhood, we passed a large church. This sign was on a front yard fence across the street from the church. It still gives me a chuckle.
Nice!
Old 12-21-2015, 03:51 PM   #1258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
Way back then radios where a high end option. Recall they were tube radios at the time and fairly large units. They had a vibrator to make the transformers work, and the tubes failed every so often. You then had to take the radio out to get at the tubes to test them. Radios went to transistors in the early 1960s but were still optional until the late 1970s. First am only became standard, and eventually FM, and today they are infotainmnet systems with mp3 playback from usb memory sticks and mp3 players, as well as SiriusXM. Of course the absolute newest thing is the system as a wifi hotspot.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:58 PM   #1259

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
The person at Walmart who had to come to w*rk sick. Now I have it👎. I don't want it, DW will probably have it next.
I mean no disrespect, and I'm not trying to start an argument, but you were shopping at Walmart to save money right ?

'Maybe' the reason the person came in sick, is because they have no sick or personal days available to them ?

Walmart saves money by encouraging people to come in sick.
Walmart passes those savings ((& the virus)) on to you.

Regards
Old 12-21-2015, 05:28 PM   #1260
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
I mean no disrespect, and I'm not trying to start an argument, but you were shopping at Walmart to save money right ?

'Maybe' the reason the person came in sick, is because they have no sick or personal days available to them ?

Walmart saves money by encouraging people to come in sick.
Walmart passes those savings ((& the virus)) on to you.

Regards
No argument.
I wasn't in Walmart to save money. I was in Walmart because they are the best Pharmacy in a 15 mile radius.

I do understand the nonsense many put up with on their jobs regarding sick time. There was 10 years of my life that I had the no paid sick time. I didn't make it very clear that this Walmart associate never learned to cover or turn their face to sneeze. Yuck!
Closed Thread