Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-23-2015, 01:21 PM   #1321
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Instead of seating us first and then taking orders, waiters and waitresses try to guess what you want to eat based on what you ate last time. Then if you say "no", before you can draw a breath to tell them what you want they guess something else.
It's that "algorithm" thing that started with internet searches and now many businesses use to compile seemingly innocuous data on you to get inside your mind and soul. As well as selling the data.

I am not sure it's the waiters and waitresses making this up. It's usually something management came up with and ordered them to do. A small upside on the server's part is it can help endear them to the customer. "How thoughtful of them to remember"

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2015, 03:37 PM   #1322
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
As was noted, it's legally required to activate the turn signal well in advance of the turn (distance, not time). So if they pulled up to the light with no signal, then turned it on just before they executed the turn, they broke the law (by not activating it at least 100 feet in advance of the intended turn).

And notwithstanding your noted physical stature, I still don't see how any turn signal can "blast you in your eyes." It's one of the dimmer lights on a car. They're just following the law.
My pet peeve is sitting behind a car while SITTING at stoplight with the light flashing. One can comply with all the aspects of the law and still shut the switch off while at a light. It was how I was taught in school.

My eyes are fine, annual checkup due in Feb.

Those cars with those annoying yellow signal lights must have it in for me.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:49 PM   #1323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
.....One can comply with all the aspects of the law and still shut the switch off while at a light. It was how I was taught in school...
Never heard of this. What state did you get your drivers license?
Old 12-23-2015, 03:55 PM   #1324
Dryer sheet aficionado

My "pet peeve" isn't necessarily financial, but when I buy a CHRISTMAS present at a store who wants my hard earned $$S at this time of year, and when they wish me a "Happy Holiday" when it's beyond obvious I am buying a CHRISTMAS present..

Well, that just frosts my shorts - in a big way. To the point I stop shopping at that store.

Not too smart to tweak off the 90+% of people who still celebrate CHRISTMAS. But, if they want to be stupid enough to do that, there are plenty of other stores to spend money with.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:56 PM   #1325
Moderator Emeritus

My new pet peeve is ordering something with free overnight shipping and voila, four days later it is delivered.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:58 PM   #1326
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Quote:
.....One can comply with all the aspects of the law and still shut the switch off while at a light. It was how I was taught in school...
Never heard of this. What state did you get your drivers license?
I'm curious too. Not only have I never heard of this (in IL), but I do want to know whether the person in front of me intends to turn. It's always good to anticipate moves.

-ERD50
Old 12-23-2015, 04:04 PM   #1327
Full time employment: Posting here.

Today's pet peeve is gifts that you receive that you can't even regift.

Things like a sweatshirt, mug, calendar or other such thing emblazoned with a family photo--or photos of their kids or dog or house. This gift comes after the Christmas card emblazoned with a similar photo and lacking any greeting or signature.

Why do people think that pictures of themselves are appropriate gifts? Selfie generation I guess.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:06 PM   #1328
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My pet peeve is sitting behind a car while SITTING at stoplight with the light flashing. One can comply with all the aspects of the law and still shut the switch off while at a light. It was how I was taught in school....
Then you were taught wrong. You are supposed to turn on your directional within a certain distance of the turn (varies by state) and leave it on until you complete the turn.

Quote:
Before making any turn, whether onto another roadway, a parking lot, another traffic lane, or leaving a parked position, it is important that you signal. Your signal lets other drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians know your intentions. You must give a proper turn signal at least 100 ft (200 ft in some states, e.g.,Indiana) before turning or changing lanes. Consult your state's Drivers handbook for details. ..
Old 12-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #1329
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
In many places, it's also illegal to back out onto a main road (you're expected to drive straight out, forward). So be careful about calling the cops - it could backfire.
I'm not sure if that's the case here ?

But it seems somewhat asinine if it is, because when people are parked on either side of my driveway, it would make no difference whether I was backing out, or going out forward, I can't see anything in either direction.

Thanks for your input
Old 12-23-2015, 05:39 PM   #1330
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Have you been checked for cataracts recently? What you describe sure sounds like one of the symptoms. I'm painfully aware of how irritating bright lights can be for those of us with that particular eye problem.
I switched from a regular car, to an SUV because of the very things you described.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:43 PM   #1331
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireSoon View Post
My "pet peeve" isn't necessarily financial, but when I buy a CHRISTMAS present at a store who wants my hard earned $$S at this time of year, and when they wish me a "Happy Holiday" when it's beyond obvious I am buying a CHRISTMAS present..

Well, that just frosts my shorts - in a big way. To the point I stop shopping at that store.

Not too smart to tweak off the 90+% of people who still celebrate CHRISTMAS. But, if they want to be stupid enough to do that, there are plenty of other stores to spend money with.
It's called political correctness, and it's ravaging our nation.
I try to do the same thing as you during the holidays.

Thanks for posting, now I know I'm not the only one who feels that way
Old 12-23-2015, 05:55 PM   #1332
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Because they're scammers, of course.

I'm talking about the people who are outright lying, and trying to commit actual fraud against you/me.

"Sir, I'm calling from Windows Support, your computer is reporting a virus, we need you to follow these steps immediately." (Doing so will install ransomware on your computer and lock you out of your files until you pay up)

"Sir, I'm calling from the CRA/IRS, you owe some money and if you don't pay up today, a warrant will be issued for your arrest." (They demand immediate payment in the form of a wire transfer or VISA gift card - isn't that how the IRS collects?)

These are not mere salespeople in a boiler room somewhere trying to make a living. They are worthless, scumbag criminals, trying to rip me off, and they deserve to be treated like the garbage they are, since they cannot be held accountable for the criminal offense they are actually committing.
Way to tell him kombat !!
I'd take it a step further. Find a conservative judge who's willing to sentence a couple of them to death. Then televise it nationally.

That would send a strong message to the worthless bastards.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:16 PM   #1333
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireSoon View Post

If you don't like it, complain to the manager. That would likely be 1,000,000 x more effective than not shopping there (would they actually notice, and if they did, would they connect the dots?). The checkout person is likely just following rules, and management is just playing it safe with those rules, to not offend anyone. Though I don't really understand why anyone would be offended.

DW's previous boss is Jewish, and I think he had the right attitude - if someone wished him "Merry Christmas", he knew they had the best of intentions, so just accept it in the spirit it was given and roll with it. What's the big deal? Would anyone actually do this with the intention of offending? That's a stretch.

In light of all this PC, I was actually a little surprised at how many times I was wished "Merry Christmas" by cashiers, and sometimes I don't think I had obvious Christmas stuff in my basket. And then, I'm wondering, how do I know if that the cashier is Christian? Maybe I should just say 'Happy Holidays' back?

-ERD50
Old 12-23-2015, 06:28 PM   #1334
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Then you were taught wrong. You are supposed to turn on your directional within a certain distance of the turn (varies by state) and leave it on until you complete the turn.
My first DL was in PA, 2nd in WY, 3rd in WV, my present DL is back in PA and have rented cars all over this nation. Had a speeding ticket in 79, and not another since.

My signal is on before the intersection, during, and after the turn. I just don't have it on if stopped at a light. It is promptly turned back on before I move.
The car has never left it's place in the turn lane, so I'm sure everybody knows my intentions.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:46 PM   #1335
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My first DL was in PA, 2nd in WY, 3rd in WV, my present DL is back in PA and have rented cars all over this nation. Had a speeding ticket in 79, and not another since.

My signal is on before the intersection, during, and after the turn. I just don't have it on if stopped at a light. It is promptly turned back on before I move.
The car has never left it's place in the turn lane, so I'm sure everybody knows my intentions.
Your signal hurts people's eyes while you are waiting for a red light in a dedicated turn lane so you turn it off only then? Does anyone else do this?

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:05 PM   #1336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Your signal hurts people's eyes while you are waiting for a red light in a dedicated turn lane so you turn it off only then? Does anyone else do this?
I've done that. I do it because the blinker drives me batty. If there's music or a lot of traffic I won't but if quite definitely. Never noticed others blinkers, now I'll have a new obsession.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:06 PM   #1337

Winemaker, Wonder if it was the idea of the person that taught you because it's not a requirement in Pennsylvania.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:54 PM   #1338
Recycles dryer sheets

Note to DW. If I ever get creamed on my bike by a motorist making a turn, tell the lawyer to grill them about use of turn signals - with vigor. It may be possible while scanning the intersection on my approach I didn't see any signal, because the other driver just assumed everybody knew their intentions.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:02 PM   #1339
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't know; had 2 teachers, DF and drivers ed in high school.

DF was a mechanic, perhaps that was his reasoning, but I wouldn't know my drivers ed teacher reason unless he wanted it off to make a point at a stop light.

DF had a peeve of his own over hazard flashers; he felt that if you were broke down, off the road, and NOT a hazard, they shouldn't be left on. It was harder to diagnose the problem with a dead battery, and was a creating a hazard to get another vehicle turned around in front to jump it.

Didn't it so much bother me until those amber/yellow lights or the cascading red lights came out. Like I said earlier, I wouldn't last long under interrogation.

And Thesus, am I worse than the guy with his signal on, and doesn't turn? I signal when I turning, and don't signal when I don't turn.

I guess I'm just a light sensitive driver.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:18 PM   #1340
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post

is happy holidays really that terrible ? It seems fine to me . I don't think they're really trying to challenge your observance of Christmas in this situation

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum