Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #1361
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Chilkoot, I've never had that happen. I have run into the "group" hogging equipment. We have groups (men and women) of 2,3,4 people that are friends and can't seem to work out alone. They stand around 1 or 2 pieces of equipment and talk and s-l-o-w-l-y workout. If you want to use that equipment, too bad. I've moved on to other equipment figuring I'd use it later and a half hour they are still there.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2016, 07:08 PM   #1362
Moderator Emeritus

Just smile and say "I won't be on here long" and continue to use it however long you were planning on using it. They won't do it again.

My pet peeve today is going to a store and finding the thing I went for on sale at 25 percent off. Yay. Wander around a little bit, check the price on one of the scanners, and it comes up at full price. Go back to display to find the sale sign has been removed in the five minutes I'd been wandering around. Leave store empty handed.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:42 PM   #1363
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilkoot View Post
I can't imagine nobody has brought this up already but it happened again today and I need to rant.
I belong to a gym and use the facilities several times a week. One thing I really hate is when I start to use a machine only to have someone run over and say "I was using that". Well no, you weren't. You were across the room doing something else. If you were using it, you would have been here. And no fair leaving a towel or water bottle to save your place either.

There, I feel better now.
At my gym they specifically have signs asking people to vacate the machine during rest periods to let others "work in" which allows everyone the most chance to use the machines. But nope these selfish, "the rules don't apply to me" jackwads just sit there and monopolize the machine even after being asked to allow others to work in.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-07-2016, 08:56 AM   #1364

While on the gym topic, I'm not going today, let DW go alone. I use the Expresso stationary bike (love them, occupy the mind so I don't worry about "how much longer?) and for two days have had two ladies park next to me loudly talking the whole time. I know what they did for holidays, their recipes, what they ate, on and on and on. I'm giving today a bread and will trade in my ear buds for over ear headphones tomorrow.

Conversation at the gym is OK, but not LOUD and not CONTINUOUS. I could tell others were annoyed with it too. Of the maybe 30-40 people on machines, they're the only ones I've seen engage in this for continuous times.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:42 AM   #1365
Administrator

Our gym is more expensive than most in the area, but it has really high quality equipment and lots of it. We almost never have to wait. The other patrons are mostly seniors like us, and very polite. I like the atmosphere/culture at our gym a lot.

A lot of the ladies there (and some of the men) like to talk while on the stationary bikes or Nustep or seated elliptical. It helps the time to pass. Nobody seems bothered by it, but then there is so much equipment that nobody really has to choose to sit next to a couple of ladies talking. Those that aren't talking are usually listening to the TV or to music through their earbuds.

My only gym gripe is the one couple that just bathes in perfume. He stinks of it just like she does and we (privately) refer to them as Mr. & Mrs. Stinky. They are so sweet and nice that we would never say that or anything about it at all to them directly, or to others about them behind their backs. This is a very minor gripe, though.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:56 AM   #1366

Folks who leave the sauna door slightly ajar. Guess they have zippers at home instead of doors.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:21 AM   #1367
Recycles dryer sheets

Ha! That reminds me why I don't go to our fitness center anymore. I like the recumbent bike and usually read an ebook while cycling for a half hour or longer. One of our neighbors likes to do the treadmill with the music on too loudly and she just has to talk (more like scream) to me the entire time I'm trying to read. She just doesn't get it, not everybody wants or needs to carry on a loud conversation while exercising.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #1368
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Ha! That reminds me why I don't go to our fitness center anymore. I like the recumbent bike and usually read an ebook while cycling for a half hour or longer. One of our neighbors likes to do the treadmill with the music on too loudly and she just has to talk (more like scream) to me the entire time I'm trying to read. She just doesn't get it, not everybody wants or needs to carry on a loud conversation while exercising.

There is any easy fix to deter talkers when you don't want to talk-- wear earbuds. They don't even have to be plugged into anything, just run the wire into your pocket so it looks like it's attached to something. Then just pretend you can't hear anyone who speaks to you and ignore them. I used to do this thirty years ago to discourage creepy people who sat next to me on the bus, and my teens did this to me.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:48 PM   #1369
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
There is any easy fix to deter talkers when you don't want to talk-- wear earbuds. They don't even have to be plugged into anything, just run the wire into your pocket so it looks like it's attached to something. Then just pretend you can't hear anyone who speaks to you and ignore them............
I've tried it but DW caught on right away.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:33 PM   #1370
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
There is any easy fix to deter talkers when you don't want to talk-- wear earbuds. They don't even have to be plugged into anything, just run the wire into your pocket so it looks like it's attached to something. Then just pretend you can't hear anyone who speaks to you and ignore them. I used to do this thirty years ago to discourage creepy people who sat next to me on the bus, and my teens did this to me.
I did this at work, to discourage a creepy person from trying to talk to me. She was distracting me from my work with horrible distressing, untrue gossip about others in our workplace. I did not want to hear it. I got over-the-ear headphones, though, so that I could pretend that I didn't even know she was there. I had them all hooked up, but never turned on the music. She didn't know that, though.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #1371
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of ear buds, I bought a bluetooth set from Amazon. They are da bomb!

The rec center where I go is fairly quiet, except when school is out, and the NBA wannabes are playing basketball.

Not that I'm an expert, but I see all sorts of "techniques" on the weight machines:

- The super-setters, who only move ten pounds, but they do fifty reps, often using inertia, so more cardio than resistance.

- The multi-setters, who do multiple sets, rather than one long set, but they still sit on the machine between sets.

- Then there are the smartphone junkies, who answer texts, select playlists, and/or update their "status", all while sitting on the machine.

All seem oblivious that others might be waiting to use the machine. Apparently standing by the machine, patting my foot and looking impatient, does not register...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #1372

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
All seem oblivious that others might be waiting to use the machine. Apparently standing by the machine, patting my foot and looking impatient, does not register...
It very rarely happens where I go but I'm not reluctant to ask "Are you going to use that machine?" That gets the message across.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:38 PM   #1373
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
It very rarely happens where I go but I'm not reluctant to ask "Are you going to use that machine?" That gets the message across.

I'm often tempted to rip the sign that says "Be courteous to others, don't sit on the machines between sets" off the wall, and wear it around my neck...

Or, perhaps, beat them over the head with it...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:44 PM   #1374
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I got over-the-ear headphones, though, so that I could pretend that I didn't even know she was there. I had them all hooked up, but never turned on the music.
This was extremely common at the last place I was employed. Probably three out of five of us wore big headphones when we were at our desks. Some of us actually listened to music once in a while, but mainly it was just to deter the distracting ones who would just walk in and camp out.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:44 PM   #1375
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I'm often tempted to rip the sign that says "Be courteous to others, don't sit on the machines between sets" off the wall, and wear it around my neck...

Or, perhaps, beat them over the head with it...
I wish my gym had that sign up! They have signs on the treadmills that say no more than 30 minutes at a time, but nothing about the weight machines. Often a couple of old guys will drape themselves over a weight machine and talk for half an hour.

Luckily my gym has duplicates of many weight machines, but if not I just do all the rest that I had left to do. Then I go up to the machine with the two guys chatting, and politely say, with a very BIG friendly smile , "Do you have much more to do on this machine?" That usually gives me some results.

I don't think it is malicious; they just didn't think anybody else would ever want to use it.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:05 PM   #1376
Give me a forum ...

This stuff reminds me of the last time I was in a gym, probably 5 or 6 years ago.

I was making the rounds of all the different machines and got to one (the only one of its type in the place) that some guy was just sitting on it, watching a TV mounted up on the ceiling. I asked him very politely to let me use the machine but he said "No, I'm using it."
"You're just watching the TV."
"I'm using this machine now. Go away."

So I took the low road and simply stood in front of him in such a way as to block his view of the TV. After a few minutes he gave up and moved.

That was my last visit because I was so annoyed that I decided buying my own gym equipment would be well worth the potential aggravation of further visits like that. I'm lucky to have enough room in my basement for a treadmill, a rowing machine, a set of free weights and bench, and a few other little things, so it has been great.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:33 AM   #1377

DVD movie previews that seem to last forever without giving the name of the movie. I can decide in 10 seconds at most whether I'm interested or not.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:10 AM   #1378

The continuing price increases of craft beer. Ten years ago almost everything was under $24 a case (of 24). Now half of them are over $40. I saw a case of Oscar Blues Gubna listing for $83 yesterday at my beer store. That's for one case of 24 12 ounce cans. No one is forcing me to buy it, yeah, I get that, supply and demand, inflation, market forces, blah, blah, blah, but come on ....... Silver lining : they still have my relatively cheap and pretty good macrobrew stuff that hasn't increased as much in the same 10 years. And I sense the price bubble is popping. Seeing lots of high end overpiced stuff marked down!! Market forces? One can hope.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:38 AM   #1379
Give me a forum ...

The last time I looked at the numbers, it was something like this: For every seven craft breweries that opened, five others closed. So growth is still steady, but only the best survive. On the bright side, it's far more likely that you'll find lots of good beer available locally. On the down side, average prices will continue to rise. One of the big drivers is simply the cost of hops. Since most craft beers are loaded with hops these days (far more than ever before), that's significant. The price of hops has gone through the roof in the last ten years.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:33 PM   #1380
Give me a forum ...

What is your pet peeve of the day?

Dishes, glasses, silverware, pans are washed and put onto a draining device to dry. Once they are dry, somebody washes a big pot and puts the dripping pot on top of all the dry stuff.