What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valid point. Still seems like a pretty cranky bunch of people. I try not to let the small stuff bother me. Not always successful but I try. But please go ahead-don't let me spoil your peevishness.

May I suggest a change in attitude/perspective?

Complaining isn't negative - if done properly it is a positive thing, inspirational in fact!

If no one complained, we would still be living in caves (trees? primordial soup? how far back do we want to go?). It is only the brave among us, dissatisfied with the status quo, who exhibit the courage to withstand the negative comments of others ( Debbie Downer, whiner, etc), and propose that there is a better life out there for all of us!

Without complaints, pet peeves, etc, there would be no progress. Change cannot happen until the problem is identified. Let us now sing the praises of all those who see deficiencies in our lives! Without their insight, how would we ever progress? Those who are 'perfectly happy' with everything, will never inspire us to advance!

It is the happy among us who are spoiling it for the rest of us grouches! Slackers!

-ERD50

My pet peeve of the day: Fedex. For Christmas I sent my sister an entire frozen salmon dinner, shipped from Juneau. First there was a technical problem getting the shipment out--no problem there. It was then set to arrive 12/22. This evening I get an email that the address is wrong. My sister has lived there for 20 years. The address is not wrong. So I call Fedex, get a busy signal twice when the phone system transfers me to customer service. I finally get through, I'm on hold for 45 minutes, then tell someone that the address is not wrong and that it's a shipment of frozen fish, which is probably ruined now. They will get back to me tomorrow but the guy couldn't tell me about a refund or anything. I want my money back, not just the shipping, but for the salmon, salmon bisque, and other items. If they don't refund the entire cost, can I take them to small claims court here in PA? Arrrgghhhh! Fortunately my sister understands, and she's cool about it all.

My pet peeve of the day: Fedex. For Christmas I sent my sister an entire frozen salmon dinner, shipped from Juneau. First there was a technical problem getting the shipment out--no problem there. It was then set to arrive 12/22. This evening I get an email that the address is wrong. My sister has lived there for 20 years. The address is not wrong. So I call Fedex, get a busy signal twice when the phone system transfers me to customer service. I finally get through, I'm on hold for 45 minutes, then tell someone that the address is not wrong and that it's a shipment of frozen fish, which is probably ruined now. They will get back to me tomorrow but the guy couldn't tell me about a refund or anything. I want my money back, not just the shipping, but for the salmon, salmon bisque, and other items. If they don't refund the entire cost, can I take them to small claims court here in PA? Arrrgghhhh! Fortunately my sister understands, and she's cool about it all.

Probably not unless you insured it...

I remember years ago that a friend had some football tickets sent to him... it was listed to deliver to only him (his signature)... he was waiting at his apt the whole day.... no tickets... come to find out they left the envelope at the apt front office and they did not tell him!!! IIRC, he didn't even get back the Fed-Ex charges....

One of the benefits from others peeves is that we learn about what products and services to avoid. I have to admit that my sunny disposition often gets in the way of my holding up my end of the bargain.

Inspired by the recent post re FedEx, I find all delivery services are remiss regarding notifications. They leave a card without even carrying the package. There are exceptions. But it is particularly bad with condos with delivery to the door of the condo.

We get conditioned to not peeve by spending 6 months in Mexico every year.

Also, in all fairness.... not all posts are a pet peeve.... and some are just comments on the peeve itself...

I bet if you went through the whole post there probably is less than 500 unique pet peeves listed...
Plus there are a number of peeves expressed in other topics. Some whole topics are barely disguised peeves! Although I suppose these could not be considered pets.

Astroturf instead of real grass. Most athletes prefer real grass apparently. Astroturf doesn't look right. I suppose it's cheaper than maintaining a grass field.

I check this thread occasionally to see if there's anything that presently doesn't bother me, but ought to.

BTW, the fish was still frozen when she received it. Frozen CO2 is a wonderful thing.:dance:

Astroturf instead of real grass. Most athletes prefer real grass apparently. Astroturf doesn't look right. I suppose it's cheaper than maintaining a grass field.
Plus the ground up old tires that they spread on the turf to maintain its springy feel (a proven carcinogen).

Fake news reporting about fake news.

When you order a drink with a "twist of lemon or lime" and your drink comes with a slice. That ain't a twist! The flavor is distinctly different.

Today I have a pet peeve: companies who play games with customers. I have Sirius XM Radio in my vehicle and the renewal invoice arrived, quoting almost $200 for a year. I called to cancel. The first agent offered a significantly reduced rate. I said no. I was asked why I was cancelling and gave them a LBYM spiel. I was forwarded to the "cancellation department" after several minutes of Muzak. I then had to go through the whole rigmarole of identifying myself all over again, and was offered a lower price. I said no. Explanation necessary again. The agent then came back with a really low offer, about 1/5th of the original price. Now that I consider reasonable, so I accepted it. My iPhone bank app immediately informed me that the amount had been billed.

Clearly (and this has been the experience of friends too) if the customer is not vigilant, they will bill whatever they think the market can bear. Every year, we have to get into this little dance. If they would just lower their prices, I would be happy to renew my subscription.

Today I have a pet peeve: companies who play games with customers. I have Sirius XM Radio in my vehicle and the renewal invoice arrived, quoting almost $200 for a year. I called to cancel. The first agent offered a significantly reduced rate. I said no. I was asked why I was cancelling and gave them a LBYM spiel. I was forwarded to the "cancellation department" after several minutes of Muzak. I then had to go through the whole rigmarole of identifying myself all over again, and was offered a lower price. I said no. Explanation necessary again. The agent then came back with a really low offer, about 1/5th of the original price. Now that I consider reasonable, so I accepted it. My iPhone bank app immediately informed me that the amount had been billed.

Clearly (and this has been the experience of friends too) if the customer is not vigilant, they will bill whatever they think the market can bear. Every year, we have to get into this little dance. If they would just lower their prices, I would be happy to renew my subscription.

We cancelled them a few years back on our second vehicle. Just before the end of the year we received a call about a special offer. Tell them thanks but no. Guy will not accept no, I finally hung up. Probably should have called back and let a manager know they're pushing way too hard.

I have had the same experience until yesterday. No deals offered, so I cancelled. Will miss it, but Pandora works for us.

Today I have a pet peeve: companies who play games with customers. I have Sirius XM Radio in my vehicle

This company's tactics struck a chord with a lot of people. I used to be a Sirius XM customer for nearly 8 years before I decided to cancel. I had automatic monthly payments through my credit card. The first customer service agent inquired why and I said I no longer listen to the programs. Lots of sales talk, a reduced rate offered, but not interested. Then she got a little nasty. Said that I was paid up but still had a balance of $1.65 due since 2 days had passed since my automatic payment was made. I asked incredulously if that meant she refused to cancel my subscription? She said that is correct. :mad:

A moment of silence passed while I pictured cancelling my credit card just to shake loose from this tenacious snake of a company. I said quietly, "I am cancelling my subscription now immediately." Then added, "And as for the balance, YOU CAN BILL ME FOR IT!"

About 5 seconds passed in silence while I imagined that she was speaking to her supervisor listening in. Then she said, in a completely different and upbeat voice that my subscription is cancelled as requested, and as for the $1.65 balance due, it would be removed since I was such a good long-term customer.

I have had the same experience until yesterday. No deals offered, so I cancelled. Will miss it, but Pandora works for us.

Just wait.
They will send you multiple offers over the months, I will admit being tempted when the offer was $5 per month for 6 months, and no other fee (renewal, signup, etc).

Unless you have auto pay like some have said, why call at all:confused:

It is a paid up contract... if you do not pay it is their responsibility to remove you from their system... you do NOT have to do anything...

BUT... I will agree with you about these companies.... I just got a huge increase on my Comcast bill.... from $76 to $126.... called and was told my 'special rate' was over... I said that it was supposed to be 1 year special and 1 year at the normal rate (which was the $76).... had to get another 2 year contract to get it down...

Looking at my auto insurance bill & seeing that I have to pay $28.10 every 6 months, for those irresponsible drivers who choose to drive with inadequate insurance, or none at all

I know there's always been a charge for this, it just seems like in the past, it was a much smaller amount. 3$ or 4$
And on top of that, it appears the fee/charge/tax is progressive.

And even though it's a minuscule amount, the .50 'Minnesota auto theft prevention program surcharge' also peeves me off. :mad:

Things that you order that come way over packaged, and then dealing with the huge box and all the innards. Packing peanuts that get everywhere and stick to your clothes, your cat, your hands, etc.

Unless you have auto pay like some have said, why call at all:confused:

It is a paid up contract... if you do not pay it is their responsibility to remove you from their system... you do NOT have to do anything...

It is an auto renew system.

Speaking of packaging, a peeve is packaging that almost takes needing a Skilsaw to get the product out from behind the plastic.

Speaking of packaging, a peeve is packaging that almost takes needing a Skilsaw to get the product out from behind the plastic.
Product returned because customer did not have:
- Skill saw
- Exacto knife
- sharp scissors!:LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom