Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-20-2016, 11:40 AM   #1421
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I also agree . I had a few insensitive people suggest I start dating pretty soon after my husband died .

Dating is a beatdown even under "ideal" conditions...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2016, 03:45 PM   #1422

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
They just can't be trusted and have no accountability in the event of a lost item, other than fight you if you have insurance.
Wow, what a difference! Maybe it's the work ethic of the population in different areas? Management styles? Interesting topic for someone to do a study on.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:12 PM   #1423
Give me a forum ...

I have found UPS (the private service) to be less reliable than the USPS.

The USPS rarely makes a mistake and always delivers.

UPS on the other hand, loves to deliver my packages to a guy on a different street but with the same address number, and visa-versa. Not so good.

Overall, both do a good job, put the USPS is better, IMHO.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:58 PM   #1424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Wow, what a difference! Maybe it's the work ethic of the population in different areas? Management styles? Interesting topic for someone to do a study on.
We are at the "end of the line" from the P.O. and frequently have different delivery people. Last year, our entire street was not getting mail for an entire week. We had to go (my DW and a neighbor) to visit the Postmaster in person to see what was going on. The P.O. will not answer a phone here.

After the Postmaster looked into it, it was a "sub" postman (actually a woman) working the route who could not open the box cover (we have pigeon hole boxes in a standing unit with a locked cover) and therefore did not deliver anyone's mail. She just let it pile up in her truck. She blamed a non-working key (hers!). Said it would take a week to get new key cut.

Now we have the same people dropping Amazon packages on driveways and not knocking on doors. How nice.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:11 PM   #1425
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
We are at the "end of the line" from the P.O. and frequently have different delivery people. Last year, our entire street was not getting mail for an entire week. We had to go (my DW and a neighbor) to visit the Postmaster in person to see what was going on. The P.O. will not answer a phone here.

After the Postmaster looked into it, it was a "sub" postman (actually a woman) working the route who could not open the box cover (we have pigeon hole boxes in a standing unit with a locked cover) and therefore did not deliver anyone's mail. She just let it pile up in her truck. She blamed a non-working key (hers!). Said it would take a week to get new key cut.

Now we have the same people dropping Amazon packages on driveways and not knocking on doors. How nice.

It always boils down to the people.

Can you complain higher up the food chain? Get media involved? Would be nice for some responsible people to have those Gov't jobs.

Oh, wait. Get it on video and post on YouTube. The court of public opinion.

Or maybe the higher power here is Amazon...
Old 01-21-2016, 02:02 PM   #1426

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post

Unlikely, at least around here. The last four or five small packages from Amazon have been delivered by USPS.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:14 PM   #1427

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post

We called Amazon for a trace on a missing package the the USPS was supposed to deliver. Amazon rep said call the post office! We tried but they don't answer the phone!
Old 01-21-2016, 06:44 PM   #1428
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
........We tried but they don't answer the phone!
Next time block your number on caller ID
Old 01-27-2016, 09:31 AM   #1429
Recycles dryer sheets

DH will be turning 65 in a few months.

So we're getting loads of mail from medical providers touting their Medicare programs.

Some of them try to make the mailings appear oh-so-official and Important.

I'll be glad when DH turns 65, although I suspect this junk mail will go on for-ever. Or for another 8 years, at which point they'll start pestering ME.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:41 AM   #1430
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
DH will be turning 65 in a few months.

So we're getting loads of mail from medical providers touting their Medicare programs.

Some of them try to make the mailings appear oh-so-official and Important.

I'll be glad when DH turns 65, although I suspect this junk mail will go on for-ever. Or for another 8 years, at which point they'll start pestering ME.
I'm 67 and although that type of junk mail hasn't stopped, it has diminished quite a bit. There is hope! I get a lot of junk mail for hearing aids, cemetery plots, and cremation services. So cheery (not!).
Old 01-27-2016, 09:47 AM   #1431
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm 67 and although that type of junk mail hasn't stopped, it has diminished quite a bit. There is hope! I get a lot of junk mail for hearing aids, cemetery plots, and cremation services. So cheery (not!).
Oh yeah, we're getting those too.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:59 AM   #1432

All that junk mail keeps the postal workers, lumberjacks and graphic designers busy and employed. It also keeps the recyclers in business. Besides, if you live long enough and all your friends and acquaintances pass away, at least you'll that someone cares enough to write to you.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:05 AM   #1433
Moderator Emeritus

We get new junk mail from our Medigap providers for bonus hospitalization, cancer, etc., insurance--we will get paid directly $100 a day if we need care for any of these! We can spend on anything we want! Who could resist? We can.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:08 PM   #1434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
Yup, it never stops and increases around October during open season when one can change plans.

And just two weeks ago I got a coupon for $200 off on a funeral. Oh joy.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:41 PM   #1435
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Yup, it never stops and increases around October during open season when one can change plans.

And just two weeks ago I got a coupon for $200 off on a funeral. Oh joy.

Might be useful. While filing my taxes today, Turbo Tax asked me if I had died in 2015...

Not until I get my refund!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:06 AM   #1436
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Might be useful. While filing my taxes today, Turbo Tax asked me if I had died in 2015...

Not until I get my refund!

You are required to give a two-week minimum notice for that...!
Old 01-28-2016, 08:43 AM   #1437
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We called Amazon for a trace on a missing package the the USPS was supposed to deliver. Amazon rep said call the post office! We tried but they don't answer the phone!
I got a response right away when I went to the USPS contact page (or from the tracking page, I don't recall right now) to investigate a problem.

A package we sent priority mail from the kiosk at the PO did not arrive (Christmas time this past year). I tracked it on-line with the # on the receipt, and it said not deliverable to that address, will be returned to sender if info available. How could that be, obviously the address is correct? So I get a response that they will check, I see on update on tracking, but no movement. So a while later, I write again, and then it does break loose and starts the trek back to us. We get the package back, and I was quite embarrassed - I did give DW the old address, and I guess too old to forward? So I can't really blame them too much, other than it didn't get returned w/o follow up.

For the pet-peeve context: It really bugged me that I have this receipt with all this info, and this was done at the kiosk where DW entered the address on the touch screen. And of course I had to question her if there was any chance of a typo, and she said it became a multiple choice type thing from their database as you got closer to the address, so really less chance of a typo (screen-o? touch-o?). But my pet-peeve is, since this address was entered, and printed on the sticker, why don't they also print it on the receipt? If they did that, the problem would have become clear to us, and maybe we could have said sorry, can you deliver to this (nearby address) instead of returning it to us?

-ERD50
Old 01-28-2016, 09:41 AM   #1438
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Recurring pet peeve: local traffic **always** busy. Never seems to be a window during the day for low traffic. Starts around 7 AM, keeps busy until 9 PM. Unbelievable. Oh, for the good old days of about 15 years ago.... And I'm supposedly in a suburb, not a city...
Old 01-28-2016, 11:30 AM   #1439
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ATT is my pet peeve and their excuse for Customer Service. We currently have DSL though them, our cells, and Direct TV. Back around the 10th DSL went out, by the time I reported and they graciously came out to fix it, my data maxed. I asked about a credit for my cell data, sure sir just call them. No one here can help you, but you can call the cell phone people, they'll help. Well after 4 calls to marketing numbers I finally get to help only it's a stupid machine that keeps trying to get me to upgrade my data plan! Finally get to a human a mere 15 minutes of listening to a call center and intermittent conversations. Of course no suggestions on my still occurring intermittent DSL problems. Sir you'll have to call them, we can't help. I mean really your the phone company, could you please transfer me and bypass the next VRU.

ATT guess what I'm a customer, not 3 customers. I'd like it if you could see me that way too.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:10 PM   #1440
Recycles dryer sheets

It's a minor thing, but I hate when somebody is asked "how old are you?" and they answer with "I'll be xx years old at the end of the year." So does that mean you are "xx-1" right now? Or did you already have your birthday? Why are you making me do (admittedly simple) math instead of just answering the question? It's such a weird way to answer a simple question.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum