Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 10:10 AM   #1461
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I know... but in this day and age they should be able to sort it our in less than 3 days.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2016, 02:18 PM   #1462
Full time employment: Posting here.

My pet peeve today is the way the media are covering the election at present. Neither of the two early contests is "winner take all" so saying "so and so won" is to me like saying a football team won because they lead by a field goal after each team has had one possession of the ball. It is still early in the season folks, several sides have delegates and the difference between them at this point is miniscule. I think on the GOP side the difference between "winning" Iowa and coming in 3rd is one delegate.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:41 PM   #1463
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
My pet peeve today is the way the media are covering the election at present. Neither of the two early contests is "winner take all" so saying "so and so won" is to me like saying a football team won because they lead by a field goal after each team has had one possession of the ball. It is still early in the season folks, several sides have delegates and the difference between them at this point is miniscule. I think on the GOP side the difference between "winning" Iowa and coming in 3rd is one delegate.

The media always tries to portray this like Monday morning sports talking heads. They are always more interested in the "horse race" talk than the actual importance of the process. And probably not at any higher of intelligent analysis than the sports "analysts experts".
They love to over hype and play master of the obvious. If Trump wins New Hampshire they will be proclaiming "he is installed as the front runner again" when anyone with a brain knows nothing really has changed even before Iowa and it has a long way to go before anything is truly determined.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2016, 04:14 PM   #1464
Moderator Emeritus

This thread is for pet peeves, so let's try to keep partisan politics and the primaries out of it if possible so that we can continue as we have. Thanks.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-29-2016, 04:59 AM   #1465
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just got a friendly call from Pete at Microsoft.
When I responded by "this is german police, fraud dept. Your call is recorded" he was not interested any more to help me fix a virus.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:17 AM   #1466

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2008 View Post
Just got a friendly call from Pete at Microsoft.
When I responded by "this is german police, fraud dept. Your call is recorded" he was not interested any more to help me fix a virus.

Did he sound like he was from India? Ed called me a few weeks ago. He was definitely not Ed.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-29-2016, 07:30 AM   #1467
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Did he sound like he was from India? Ed called me a few weeks ago. He was definitely not Ed.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I've recently seen a guy here in the US whose name is Rafael, and he's been calling himself `Ted' trying to convince Americans he is from here too! So maybe `Ed' was legit?
Old 02-29-2016, 08:01 AM   #1468
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafddur1 View Post
I've recently seen a guy here in the US whose name is Rafael, and he's been calling himself `Ted' trying to convince Americans he is from here too! So maybe `Ed' was legit?
He's from Calgary, actually!
Old 02-29-2016, 08:12 AM   #1469
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
He's from Calgary, actually!
Still American.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:13 AM   #1470
Give me a forum ...

Ok, so I call Discover and ask if they are willing to waive the $60 annual fee on our 2% rewards card that has served us well but there are better alternatives out there today. They say no, which is fine... I find out that I can't set it up today to cancel the day before the annual fee is assessed but need to call back the day before... fine... a minor inconvenience.

So now I decide that we'll go with the Citi Double Cash card since it pays 2% and has no annual fee but I can't do the application online because they will then send the card to our house rather than where we are wintering in Florida. So I call their center and find out that if I apply over the phone I can have a mailing address different from my physical address. Great. I get part way through the application process (give then my name, address, SS, etc) and she then tells me that they are having system difficulties and that I'll need to call back and start from scratch.

Since she has a foreign accent I ask where she is located and she tells me she is in the Philippines. I ask if she can transfer me to a US-based al-application center or if there is a different number that I can call and get connected to a US-based application center. Nope. I give up.... I guess that I'll wait until I get home and do the online application and use a different card in the interim. Ugh!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 02-29-2016, 12:30 PM   #1471
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Still American.
I often mention that America starts at the northernmost part of Canada and goes all the way south to Tierra del Fuego. Ususally get blank looks.

BTW that is a pet peeve of mine.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:39 PM   #1472
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I often mention that America starts at the northernmost part of Canada and goes all the way south to Tierra del Fuego. Ususally get blank looks.

BTW that is a pet peeve of mine.
Yea, but I think they were talking about REAL Americans.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:33 PM   #1473
Give me a forum ...

Just be glad they used his first name, or we'd be "Vespuccis"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 03-11-2016, 08:16 PM   #1474
Recycles dryer sheets

People who refer to cheeses by their color instead of type.

Example conversation:
"What kind of cheese do you have for the cheese burgers?"
"Orange and white. Oh, and shredded."
"Is the orange cheese American cheese?"
"I don't know. Yes."
"I don't want American cheese. What kind of cheese is the shredded cheese?"
"It's orange."
"Does that mean it's cheddar?"
"Yes"

I can't tell you how many times I've had essentially this same conversation. Except for blue, you should not be using a color to list off what kinds of cheese you have. Mozzarella, chèvre, and Swiss are all white but they are very different cheeses!
Old 03-12-2016, 07:01 AM   #1475
Recycles dryer sheets

We went to a chain restaurant called Chile's last night. The restaurant charged $2.00 to play a trivia game on a laptop type device on the table while waiting for our food. The food was OK, nothing special. Won't be going back.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:33 AM   #1476
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
People who refer to cheeses by their color instead of type. . . .
"What kind of cheese do you have for the cheese burgers?"
"Orange and white. Oh, and shredded."
Maybe laws prevent the use of the term "cheddar" or "cheese" when referring to the sliced petrochemical product they are serving? And if the packaging spells it "Cheez," we can be sure no cows were involved in its production.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:47 AM   #1477

Whenever you are at a restaurant and ask the waitress the price of a craft beer on tap, they never know, but will say "I don't know, but I can go find out for you". Even if there are only 2 or 3 craft beers on tap, they just can't be bothered to remember the prices.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:59 AM   #1478
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Whenever you are at a restaurant and ask the waitress the price of a craft beer on tap, they never know, but will say "I don't know, but I can go find out for you". Even if there are only 2 or 3 craft beers on tap, they just can't be bothered to remember the prices.
The price should be on the menu. The waitress shouldn't need to know the price of every item, IMO.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:34 AM   #1479
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank2009 View Post
We went to a chain restaurant called Chile's last night. The restaurant charged $2.00 to play a trivia game on a laptop type device on the table while waiting for our food. The food was OK, nothing special. Won't be going back.
I had that happen to me and told them it said nothing about being charged... they took off the charge...

I will be going back... kinda like their chicken sandwich...
Old 03-12-2016, 09:36 AM   #1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
The price should be on the menu. The waitress shouldn't need to know the price of every item, IMO.
Aaron, that's another thing. The beer prices are almost never on the menu. I suppose if I have to ask, I can't afford it.
Closed Thread