Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-29-2016, 11:21 PM   #1521
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by souschef View Post
but i guess on the internet you can be whoever you want to be.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1469852477.481841.jpg

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2016, 07:53 AM   #1522
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Yup.

When I got married Ma was all over me to get those thank-you's sent out to everyone that gave a gift. That was 33 years ago.

I gave my buddies daughter a nice gift last year. Haven't heard from her yet.

Must be a new thing.
DNephew got married last November. Last week we received a postcard with a nice picture of them and a preprinted message. Better than nothing... but still not very classy IMO. Good kids but the missed the boat on that one.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:33 PM   #1523
Give me a forum ...

Alphabetizing is great. It was first developed in the third millennium BCE.
In 1604 Robert Cawdrey had to explain in Table Alphabeticall, the first monolingual English dictionary, "Nowe if the word, which thou art desirous to finde, begin with (a) then looke in the beginning of this Table, but if with (v) looke towards the end."[7] (Wikipedia).
So, why does Windows have menus like this:

I have to either remember where the different options are or read through them to find what I want.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:29 AM   #1524
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In those portapotties at outdoor events there is never a FLAT horizontal surface except for the floor, so you can leave your drink outside on the ground, or you can hold it in one hand inside the portapotty. Or, God help you, you can place it on the floor.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:34 AM   #1525
Moderator Emeritus

Women with their hair pulled up into 3" tall topknots on top of their heads who sit in front of me at the $100 a seat The Book of Mormom musical and block my view. Grrrrr.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:48 AM   #1526

Rude people. I'm sitting here in BOA to do a wire. One guy ahead of me, a family of three comes in after me. Lady helps the guy who's here ahead of me, then I'm up. No lady comes back ask who's next, the mother says she is!

I shook my head and point at myself, woman insisted she's next! I'm sitting here fuming! I hate to make a fuss, but that's nonsense!
Old 08-12-2016, 11:57 AM   #1527
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Rude people. I'm sitting here in BOA to do a wire. One guy ahead of me, a family of three comes in after me. Lady helps the guy who's here ahead of me, then I'm up. No lady comes back ask who's next, the mother says she is!

I shook my head and point at myself, woman insisted she's next! I'm sitting here fuming! I hate to make a fuss, but that's nonsense!

That is why you are fuming....You didnt make a fuss... I have learned to let them have it if amicable concessions cannot be arranged...I like my John Wayne quote..."I will not be wronged....". Of course I first do a quick analysis prior to determine if I could possibly get my butt kicked. If that were happen, I let it go and they can go first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2016, 12:49 PM   #1528
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
That is why you are fuming....You didn't make a fuss... I have learned to let them have it if amicable concessions cannot be arranged...I like my John Wayne quote..."I will not be wronged....". Of course I first do a quick analysis prior to determine if I could possibly get my butt kicked. If that were happen, I let it go and they can go first.
+1 My DW is always the one to say, " don't make a scene", but I don't let people wrong me unless there is an obvious serious downside. I usually prevail by being insistent but not obnoxious.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:51 PM   #1529
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

That mother just taught her kids how to take whatever they want, whether it's rightfully theirs or not. That's how kids learn....by example.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:55 PM   #1530
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
+1 My DW is always the one to say, " don't make a scene", but I don't let people wrong me unless there is an obvious serious downside. I usually prevail by being insistent but not obnoxious.
+1. Yeah, part of me will always be the "schoolmarm." In a situation like that, when the "adult" in line is "out of line," I politely remind them of who was next. If they insist, I look them in the eye (as I would with the class bully) and remind them, a second time, and more firmly. They usually back off.

As we used to say in the faculty room, "Some folks we just didn't reach."

Old 08-13-2016, 09:40 AM   #1531
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
In those portapotties at outdoor events there is never a FLAT horizontal surface except for the floor, so you can leave your drink outside on the ground, or you can hold it in one hand inside the portapotty. Or, God help you, you can place it on the floor.
That's what these are for.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:03 AM   #1532
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

If I was clearly there first and she is trying to jump the queue, I have no problem with calling her on it and insisting that I get served first. What I don't understand is wasn't there a line or something that would make it clear where everyone stands?
Old 08-13-2016, 12:40 PM   #1533
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
If I was clearly there first and she is trying to jump the queue, I have no problem with calling her on it and insisting that I get served first. What I don't understand is wasn't there a line or something that would make it clear where everyone stands?

He said "I'm sitting here" and he was doing a wire, so he was probably waiting to see a banker instead of a clerk. I'm guessing it was a waiting area with a group of chairs.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:04 PM   #1534
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
He said "I'm sitting here" and he was doing a wire, so he was probably waiting to see a banker instead of a clerk. I'm guessing it was a waiting area with a group of chairs.
I have used BOA before for wires and notary services, and there has always been a sign-in sheet on a clip board in the waiting area so that the bank staff are clear on who is waiting in the queue. Guess that wasn't true here, but should be.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:32 PM   #1535

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
We were in a lobby area so no queue for order. I did speak up, too softly. After all the valuable feedback I'll speak louder, in these situations in the future. Over twenty years ago I intentionally became softer spoken but perhaps too far.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:41 AM   #1536

Girl drummer in a hard rock band. Just so wrong. Karen Carpenter was great but she was in a soft rock group.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:08 PM   #1537

People on bicycles that don't obey road traffic rules or state park rules. Today, I almost got run over by a guy on a bike on a dirt trail that is restricted to foot track only. AND what's wrong with bicyclists that can't let you know they are coming up and passing you on a paved trailed. Sometimes you can't hear them when they are coming up from behind you. When I was coming home from the park a bicyclist drove right through a red light and almost got hit and then started yelling at the car driver.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:13 PM   #1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
People on bicycles that don't obey road traffic rules or state park rules. Today, I almost got run over by a guy on a bike on a dirt trail that is restricted to foot track only. AND what's wrong with bicyclists that can't let you know they are coming up and passing you on a paved trailed. Sometimes you can't hear them when they are coming up from behind you. When I was coming home from the park a bicyclist drove right through a red light and almost got hit and then started yelling at the car driver.
I gave up on trying to announce "passing on the left" because they can never hear me. As long as you are walking on the right half of a rec trail as required then there shouldn't be any problem with a bike passing you on your left if there is no one coming in the opposite direction. I agree, though, that too many cyclists disobey the rules/laws just like people on foot or in cars do.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:57 PM   #1539
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
As long as you are walking on the right half of a rec trail as required then there shouldn't be any problem with a bike passing you on your left if there is no one coming in the opposite direction.
I think it is considerate for bicyclists to make their presence and plans to overtake pedestrians known. A quick ring of a bell is innocuous, appreciated by walkers, and conducive to safety. Just my opinion.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:18 PM   #1540
Full time employment: Posting here.

So sorry to hear about your loss, Irishgal. It is time to be kind to yourself.......and not answer the door until you are good and ready.....

(Though, when I felt the same after the passing of DH, I was often surprised that it was delivery people knocking. They were bringing by flowers, food, and sometimes even chocolate, all sent by concerned friends or family. Their thoughtfulness was heart-warming.)

But I still didn't want to go to the door.