Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-30-2016, 08:55 AM   #1581
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Another one here that backs into perpendicular parking spaces, for all the reasons Walt describes.

Montecfo, I can assure you this inconveniences no other drivers, as I rarely back in when another car is behind me. In the few cases another car is there, I signal clearly. If they are so clueless as to not notice what I am doing and start to pull into the same spot I'm already backing into, I just move along and forget it. Parking lots are treacherous places, no need to add to life's frustrations.
And I'm in agreement with both Walt & MichaelB.

It's safer to back into a spot where the cars are not moving, than to back out of a spot and into some cross traffic that isn't so easy to see. And as I pull out, I inch forward until I have a clear view, giving any traffic that I might not see plenty of warning and space. I'm not going to just back out and rely on the other guy seeing my tail lights.

I recall this coming up before, and some professional drivers commented that you always try to pull into the less safe situation, and leave the backing up for the safer situation. Just makes sense.

Or as the Chowhound food/cooking site says in their video tips "YOU ARE DOING IT ALL WRONG!"

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=ELIGCGLqsYUc8

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2016, 12:08 PM   #1582
Give me a forum ...

My pet peeve of a lifetime is bad grammar. I guess one could say I'm a grammar nazi. Here's what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/vGDb-fbvJmQ

Old 09-30-2016, 12:16 PM   #1583
Recycles dryer sheets

My latest pet peeve is Windows 10 notifications. So annoying!
Old 09-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #1584
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Another one here that backs into perpendicular parking spaces, for all the reasons Walt describes.

Montecfo, I can assure you this inconveniences no other drivers, as I rarely back in when another car is behind me. In the few cases another car is there, I signal clearly. If they are so clueless as to not notice what I am doing and start to pull into the same spot I'm already backing into, I just move along and forget it. Parking lots are treacherous places, no need to add to life's frustrations.
Michael-
I appreciate the explanation! At least I am getting a better understanding of the logic.

But if you are, in fact, backing in and someone is behind you, I would suggest they are inconvenienced, since backing in does take more time.

It does not generally inconvenience me, as I tend to park in the first space I see.

Best,
M
Old 09-30-2016, 03:18 PM   #1585
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
It does not generally inconvenience me, as I tend to park in the first space I see.
I park away from the crowds, too. Not WAY out, just not as close as i possibly could. It's often possible to pull through and then have no backing up at all, it's less stressful, and parking "away from the pack" requires maybe an more 30 seconds to walk the extra distance (I can use the exercise).

Pet Peeve: Parking lot "vultures" who drive along and shadow shoppers as they leave a store hoping to get a really close parking space. When it happens I have fun with it: stop and tie my shoe, walk through the cars to the next aisle over, backtrack like I forgot something, etc.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:03 PM   #1586
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
That very much depends on where you live in suburbs most parking is offstreet in lots that surround the stores (as indeed in small towns). In my town the only place where parallel parking exists is the downtown which is small and also has a big parking garage. (Not used much since it used to be associated with a hospital, which moved elsewhere). Many small towns tend to have wide enough streets that angle parking also exists on the streets.
This is my experience as well. I can count on one hand the number of times I have parallel parked in the last 20 years.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:40 AM   #1587
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
My pet peeve happened again today. We went to see an early movie and no one was in the theater when we sat down. The movie was about to begin when two ladies came in. With a really large theater available, they sat directly behind us! Then they kicked our seats, talked, dug through their purses, and generally were distracting. After about 5 minutes, we moved about 8 seats over.

Now why would you come in a theater and do that? We were sitting off center, so it wasn't like we had the best position anyway. People amaze me.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Oh I hate that! It happens to me a lot, too. Last time I chose my seat specifically because I figured nobody would want to sit near me (very high, on the left) and sure enough a guy sat down right in front of me, then a few minutes later one sat down two seats to my side. Why
Old 10-01-2016, 06:46 PM   #1588

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
Oh I hate that! It happens to me a lot, too. Last time I chose my seat specifically because I figured nobody would want to sit near me (very high, on the left) and sure enough a guy sat down right in front of me, then a few minutes later one sat down two seats to my side. Why

Isn't that strange? I have finally started getting up and moving to a more vacant area.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-01-2016, 07:45 PM   #1589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
A lot of corporate safety rules demand that you back into parking places. The thinking goes that at quitting time, you want to get the hell out of dodge, so you are in a hurry and are less aware of your surroundings.
At many industrial plants, it's required for fast and orderly evacuation purposes in the event that is necessary.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:19 PM   #1590

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
Then why, oh why, do you persist in taking up the very seats that DW and I wanted so we have to take the second-best ones nearby?
Old 10-02-2016, 10:11 PM   #1591
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions re. my local liar. Ran out of space in some of the thanks I sent. Just want to say, I will see what the board does and, if nothing, I will depart. I have better things I could be doing.

One thing that does keep me there is that, if the board has to let him go, it will create upheaval in the organization because others don't know they are being conned or manipulated. If the board takes a stand against him, they will need support. If they don't, I am concerned about the welfare of some innocent people. Will have to "sit tight," wait, and see.

Thanks again for your counsel.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:28 PM   #1592

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Drivers who think they are doing you a favor by waving you into some situation in which you do not have the right of way. Confuses other drivers.
I once witnessed a very nasty accident caused by this. I was just over one car length away.

It is best for everybody to strictly follow traffic protocols.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:13 AM   #1593
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
I once witnessed a very nasty accident caused by this. I was just over one car length away.

It is best for everybody to strictly follow traffic protocols.

+1

In addition to being safer, it would also improve the flow of traffic and reduce frustration and confusion.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:37 AM   #1594
Give me a forum ...

My pet peeve of the day is seems on more news stories, clicking on what looks like a video only brings up a slide show. Or the opposite where all I really want to do is read a story and a loud video automatically loads up.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:05 AM   #1595

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
My pet peeve of the day is seems on more news stories, clicking on what looks like a video only brings up a slide show. Or the opposite where all I really want to do is read a story and a loud video automatically loads up.
+1

I can't stand that. Some of the video sould be just delivered in print. Why wait for the video when I know how to read.

I get it for certain things where the video adds value, most don't.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:35 PM   #1596

My pet peeve is tv shows that show the ending at the beginning then say "2 days earlier" or" 2 months earlier" then start the show. Who thought up the idea to show the end at the start of the show? I significantly dislike that but it is happening more and more often. I don't get it.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:17 AM   #1597
Dryer sheet wannabe

My pet peeve of the day:
Windows 10 performed an "automatic update", now, at least 2 of my programs won't open..... error message....... .net framework 3.0 not found
Thanks again Microsoft.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:17 AM   #1598

The 30 second to 1 minute wait time for the computer to respond, at checkout lines. Customer swipes card, taps screen, waits, taps screen, the clerk and customer stare into their screens for another X seconds. Computers are supposed to make things faster, but it looks like they are making things as slow as the market will bear if it saves them a few cents per transaction. I always pay cash if it is allowed, and my wait time is whatever time it takes for the clerk to make change and give me the receipt.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:07 AM   #1599
Recycles dryer sheets

Something that bugs me at the office is coworkers who burst into my cubicle and start talking at me in hyper-speed about some project detail. I don't even have time to close my browser, which inevitably shows this website, and pretend that I'm working on their project!
Old 10-16-2016, 10:45 AM   #1600
Full time employment: Posting here.

People that don't know what a turn signal in a car is.