Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-17-2016, 07:29 AM   #1641
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
If this country was smart enough to use many roundabouts vs. time & gas wasting ss's, this issue would be greatly reduced. While I agree the driver is wrong, if multiple cars went each time - as roundabouts effectively create - traffic would flow better.
While I agree.
Most folks in this country have no idea what to do at a roundabout. I watched a person pull up to one, stop, signals and make a left turn!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2016, 08:30 AM   #1642

Quote:
People that think they have a god-given right to drive in the left lane 5 mph below the limit.
If they are passing someone going 10 under then they have the right to be there but if there is room to move to the right safely then they should do so.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:56 AM   #1643
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
While I agree.
Most folks in this country have no idea what to do at a roundabout. I watched a person pull up to one, stop, signals and make a left turn!
+1
We have a roundabout in my suburb. Not only is it a roundabout, but it is maybe 60 feet up in the air, with numerous feeders into and down from it, and it was built back in the 1960's I think. Also, the signage on it is terrible or non-existent. I avoid it whenever possible. People drive so unpredictably on it and I find that to be pretty terrifying.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:36 PM   #1644
Recycles dryer sheets

Am I the only one peeved by the new app layout for this forum? Can we please go back to the old version??
Old 10-17-2016, 08:00 PM   #1645
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1
We have a roundabout in my suburb. Not only is it a roundabout, but it is maybe 60 feet up in the air, with numerous feeders into and down from it, and it was built back in the 1960's I think. Also, the signage on it is terrible or non-existent. I avoid it whenever possible. People drive so unpredictably on it and I find that to be pretty terrifying.
I hate roundabouts. The only roundabout I'd like if one had stoplights .
Old 10-17-2016, 08:14 PM   #1646
Recycles dryer sheets

I hate that Microsoft is trying to get you to use Bing by putting a photo behind your login with links to get info on it. Slows down everything if you accidentally trigger the links.
Google doodles make me smile-their attempt doesn't.

Roundabouts are the quickest way for me to get lost in DC. If you don't know which road is your exit you are spit out of circle going who knows where.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:23 PM   #1647
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
If they are passing someone going 10 under then they have the right to be there but if there is room to move to the right safely then they should do so.
I thought I clearly meant the latter. Guess not.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:25 PM   #1648

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
While I agree.
Not a problem around here (PI). While there aren't many, now enough that almost all drivers have experienced a few.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:55 PM   #1649
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If this country was smart enough to use many roundabouts vs. time & gas wasting ss's, this issue would be greatly reduced. While I agree the driver is wrong, if multiple cars went each time - as roundabouts effectively create - traffic would flow better.
Smart enough and educated enough. Roundabouts have been appearing in my area, and they'd be fine if folks would review the rules on them. For example, I have yet to see anyone use their turn signal upon exiting. Makes it difficult to keep things moving when drivers entering have to stop because they don't know if the approaching vehicle is going to exit or not.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:47 PM   #1650
Recycles dryer sheets

Our small city recently got a few roundabouts. The first day they opened one of them, the newspaper got a picture of a car going the wrong way (how do you even do that??). Another roundabout generated a letter to the newspaper's "pet peeve" column when someone was stopping inside the circle at every single exit.

But the best was our first roundabout, which generated complaints from the neighborhood about all that loud honking late at night.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:30 PM   #1651

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Our small city recently got a few roundabouts. The first day they opened one of them, the newspaper got a picture of a car going the wrong way (how do you even do that??). Another roundabout generated a letter to the newspaper's "pet peeve" column when someone was stopping inside the circle at every single exit.

But the best was our first roundabout, which generated complaints from the neighborhood about all that loud honking late at night.
The way I watched the person I mentioned. They should have gone round 270° to the right, instead went 90°left! I can only assume the person had never seen one, but who knows.

First time I had to deal with them it was the first day I was driving on the left side of the road in a stick shift. Pretty exciting expecially driving south of Capetown right next to the ocean 500 or so feet down.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:09 PM   #1652
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
For example, I have yet to see anyone use their turn signal upon exiting. Makes it difficult to keep things moving when drivers entering have to stop because they don't know if the approaching vehicle is going to exit or not.
Do you really trust turn signals? I have had too many close calls. I believe the person is turning only when I see that happen!

Roundabouts are starting to appear here as well. Usually on roads that are not heavily traveled, and I would agree they have improved the traffic flow.

Back when I grew up in Massachusetts, we had the much larger versions at many busy highway intersections and on/off ramps (we called them a Rotary). Some are still there, but many have been removed (If you ever drove over the Bourne or Sagamore bridges back in the 70's, going to Cape Cod, you know what I am talking about)
Old 10-18-2016, 05:56 PM   #1653

I recently took an AARP driving class (tedious, but it does give me 10% off my insurance). The two pet peeves of the group, much complained about, were round abouts and the stupid law where cars must stop for any pedestrian who wishes to cross the street even if it is not a marked crosswalk and even (super dangerously) on a 4 lane street.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:14 PM   #1654
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
...and the stupid law where cars must stop for any pedestrian who wishes to cross the street even if it is not a marked crosswalk and even (super dangerously) on a 4 lane street.
Right, this is dangerous for pedestrians these days as drivers are so impatient. I've stopped for pedestrians and had some guy honk and blast around me, only to slam on the brakes upon finally seeing the person walking.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:10 PM   #1655
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The grammar Nazi in me bristles at the misuse of few and less. No one knows anything about count and non-count nouns these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Good point, I agree we should have less of these. We still have farther to go when it comes to grammar usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
See? In less than half an hour.

I could care less about this back and forth. All this bickering is literally taking days off my life, which will figuratively change my optimization of when to take my Social Security benefits, even though the trade-offs are actually neutral.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:25 PM   #1656

My truffle shaver mangled my lovely truffles so I tossed it it the trash and shaved them with my fillet knife.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:07 PM   #1657

What is your pet peeve of the day?

Quote:
The grammar Nazi in me bristles at the misuse of few and less. No one knows anything about count and non-count nouns these days.

But where is the "fewer than" key on my keyboard?
Old 10-20-2016, 01:37 PM   #1658
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
But where is the "fewer than" key on my keyboard.
I believe when writing equations, only equation rules apply. We like to use all kinds of symbols in all kinds of circumstances....but strictly speaking....the "less than" symbol is an equation symbol.

Ain't English fun?
Old 10-20-2016, 01:57 PM   #1659
Recycles dryer sheets

I tried to stop my local paper late Friday for one week. Circulation manager said my paper would stop on Tuesday because it "would go into computer" and Tuesday would be the earliest it could happen. What
Old 10-20-2016, 02:01 PM   #1660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
I tried to stop my local paper late Friday for one week. Circulation manager said my paper would stop on Tuesday because it "would go into computer" and Tuesday would be the earliest it could happen. What
We've found it difficult to stop our paper as well - so we just stopped starting it up again. If we occasionally need a paper, there are guys working their tails off (usually paper guys older than us) along main thoroughfares. It's more expensive, but it means less trash AND it means not dealing with the paper subscription service. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote