Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 02:55 PM   #1861
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When the city sends out the snowplows when we literally got less than a dusting, & there's no snow flying in front of a plow, only sparks.

I understand the need to put down salt, but scouring the surface of the street makes absolutely no sense
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2017, 03:01 PM   #1862
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I spent three years in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in the late 80s. I worked with a 40 year old secretary who had never left the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. (It is possible to drive to West Virginia from Pittsburgh in one hour). This was not the only person I met who had travelled little or not at all. It's just a different way of living to mine.
Most of the people I went to school with had never left the Commonwealth. Some still haven't, I'd wager a couple have seldom been outside the county.

I'm very thankful that my world got bigger.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:24 PM   #1863
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I did some googling and was surprised I couldn't quickly find comparable stats on that. So if there is something to what you say, we should see a difference in passport rates between the two countries. It also seemed a bit complicated - I found this along the way:

Not sure how that compares with Canada. And if someone traveled there 10 years ago, maybe they have had their fill? Could account for some. Have not found stats that would take all that into account.

I also saw some articles that broke down US passport by state - not surprisingly, border states and states with high urban populations (more business travel?) had a higher %.

-ERD50 (a US passport holder)
Those stats were very easy to find. First, here is a report a few years old from the Government of Canada. Scroll a long way down to find Figure 2, showing that passport possession rose from 50% in 2008 to an estimated 70% in 2013. There is a significant regional variation (Figure 3).

ARCHIVED – Passport Annual report for 2012-2013

Edited to add: here is a more recent report. 67% of Canadians had a passport in 2014-15.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2014/index.asp

Below is a link I found about the US. Again, there is significant regional variation, but the overall number reported is 46%.

How Many Americans Have A Passport? | TheExpeditioner Travel Site
Old 01-27-2017, 03:46 PM   #1864

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Hey I was an engineer! Culture was just an interest in the world. When I worked in White Plains, I met people living in Manhatten who had never been out of the city. When I asked why, they said they could find everything they needed right there. I could never understand that world view. Still don't.

(I do like Louisiana though!)
I do not understand that either. I grew up in New York City, and that was my parents mindset.
I was 34 when I got my pilot's license. I had to take the check ride in New Jersey. My mom fixed me sandwiches and a thermos of tea, like I was going on safari, instead of just across the Hudson River.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:49 PM   #1865
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Probably doing it just to peeve you...
How do I set up never receive a reply so I can the send braumeister a PM implying that I would like a response?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 01-27-2017, 06:28 PM   #1866

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Most of the people I went to school with had never left the Commonwealth. Some still haven't, I'd wager a couple have seldom been outside the county.

I'm very thankful that my world got bigger.
When I graduated as a mining engineer back in ancient times, many (about 10) of my classmates were absolutely shocked that there were no mining jobs in the city of Pittsburgh, but all in rural areas outside the county, or even WV. What were they thinking? All of them never entered the mining field.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:01 PM   #1867

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
When I graduated as a mining engineer back in ancient times, many (about 10) of my classmates were absolutely shocked that there were no mining jobs in the city of Pittsburgh, but all in rural areas outside the county, or even WV. What were they thinking? All of them never entered the mining field.
My wife was from Pittsburgh, and at a High School Reunion, she said over 90% still lived in Pittsburgh, some in the home their parents had lived in.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:14 PM   #1868
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Those stats were very easy to find. First, here is a report a few years old from the Government of Canada. Scroll a long way down to find Figure 2, showing that passport possession rose from 50% in 2008 to an estimated 70% in 2013. There is a significant regional variation (Figure 3).

ARCHIVED – Passport Annual report for 2012-2013

Edited to add: here is a more recent report. 67% of Canadians had a passport in 2014-15.

Passport Program Annual Report for 2014-2015

Below is a link I found about the US. Again, there is significant regional variation, but the overall number reported is 46%.

How Many Americans Have A Passport? | TheExpeditioner Travel Site
Thanks, I did find some separate references like that (including the USA one you found), but I was trying to find (I thought it would be easy) a list of multiple countries to compare in one shot.

But those are good enough for the USA-Canada comp. And it does seem to be a significant delta. I'm not sure if different rules account for some of that or not. Or even (and I may be showing ignorance here) if some could be due to a more diverse landscape within the USA versus Canada? Does Canada have warm beaches, tropical and sub-tropical climates, and deserts, in addition to your plains and mountains? I know Canada has absolutely stunning beauty and natural resources, but I'm thinking it is just not as diverse as the USA, so that could account for more passports for people wanting to travel to those sorts of places?

More ignorance on my part - but do Canadians take more vacation than people of the US (that seems to be the case for many Europeans)? That could be another factor. Or maybe we, overall, are just less interested in other cultures, but I don't know why that would be. Sure doesn't apply to me (I'd travel far more if it weren't for DW's fear of flying). But I am not 'data'.

-ERD50
Old 01-27-2017, 07:22 PM   #1869

Many Canadians head for Florida during the winter months. It is an easy flight and no jet lag. Canada is a beautiful country, that I have traveled extensively, but does not have the equivalent of Florida or California beaches.
Many Europeans have much more vacation than the US, and head for the East Coast on relatively short and inexpensive flights.
One fallout of this is the many Europeans who get their flight training in Florida because of the clear weather and the relatively inexpensive costs compared to Europe.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:18 AM   #1870
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
My younger brother studied French in school, and speaks French fluently to this day.

Of course, his retention of the language might also have something to do with him marrying a French wife.
I had a French girl friend in Metz and I got pretty fluent (Alsace-Lorraine is bilingual French and German. no English back then) but alas, I gradually lost it upon return to North America.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:51 AM   #1871
Give me a forum ...

ATT
What a joke this company is. We do paper billing and about 50% of the time the bill comes with no slip or return envelope. This month DW calls and gets an address to send the check to, with no slip. Now we're past due!

Spent twenty minutes with the VRU till it sent me to a human. All the human can do is take a payment or for five dollars send another bill! I'm waiting for a call back from a supervisor, who I'm sure can't even report the issue to the proper area.

Time for a new cell phone provider.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:08 AM   #1872

Just curious, MRG: Why do you want paper billing?
I can't even imagine getting paper bills for anything anymore. Seems like it would be such a nuisance.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:17 AM   #1873
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just curious, MRG: Why do you want paper billing?
I can't even imagine getting paper bills for anything anymore. Seems like it would be such a nuisance.
Well two reasons. One DW handles the checkbook and that's her method.

The bigger issue is why would I trust ATT's ability to not leak my data. They can't even managed to stuff a slip in an envelope!

Every call ATT? Actually the last time I asked for a transfer they could not do it! Their IT systems appear to be a bunch of silos of information that sometimes are accurate sometimes not!

When I cancelled my DSL service they billed us for months afterward. Each time I called they had no record of my prior calls on the same issue.

Since they seem unable to figure paper billing out I'm not going to give them a credit card or bank account numbers.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:59 PM   #1874
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Well two reasons. One DW handles the checkbook and that's her method.

The bigger issue is why would I trust ATT's ability to not leak my data. They can't even managed to stuff a slip in an envelope!

Every call ATT? Actually the last time I asked for a transfer they could not do it! Their IT systems appear to be a bunch of silos of information that sometimes are accurate sometimes not!

When I cancelled my DSL service they billed us for months afterward. Each time I called they had no record of my prior calls on the same issue.

Since they seem unable to figure paper billing out I'm not going to give them a credit card or bank account numbers.

If you are sending in a check every month they have your bank account number.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:32 PM   #1875
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
If you are sending in a check every month they have your bank account number.
I know that. My bank account is one piece of data. They have no legitimate reason to put my bank account l information on a system that is exposed to the Internet.

There's different audit requirements based on the information a provider carries. I don't believe that ATT has a handle on basic batch processing like producing a paper bill, I'm not giving them the ability to screw up more.

Thanks for the reminder. Their supervisor never called me back. Time to post on FB.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:36 PM   #1876
Give me a forum ...

Wow.... one just came up right now...

This peeve is with Amazon!!! I was looking at my CC purchases and it seemed like we had bought some items with Amazon... so I decided to take a look and see what the charges matched up to...

Well, to my surprise... one charge for $107 did not match anything.... it has a tag of 'Amazon Prime Membership'.... but I am not a member, have never signed up to be one and when I check it says I am not one...

So, a simple call to Amazon will fix the problem.... yes, a simple call... a... simple... CALL.... EXCEPT Amazon does not have ANY contact info to call them... and I cannot send them any kind of email since they do not show this as a purchase!!! What kind of company exists that DOES NOT ALLOW YOU TO CALL THEM!!!
Old 02-01-2017, 01:39 PM   #1877
Give me a forum ...

BTW, I was going to put this down a few weeks ago, but never did...

The ads on the internet... and the pervasive cookies and tracking they do...

As an example... the person who is putting in a new AC and ducts... they had an AC brand I had not heard of before... so I did a search on my computer.... no big deal...

BUT, at night I get on my tablet to read a few news article and what pops up... yes, and ad for that AC brand!!! I did not search on my tablet, so how did they know to send and ad to it!!!

Man... I hate the intrusive nature of the web...
Old 02-01-2017, 01:39 PM   #1878
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Wow.... one just came up right now...

This peeve is with Amazon!!! I was looking at my CC purchases and it seemed like we had bought some items with Amazon... so I decided to take a look and see what the charges matched up to...

Well, to my surprise... one charge for $107 did not match anything.... it has a tag of 'Amazon Prime Membership'.... but I am not a member, have never signed up to be one and when I check it says I am not one...

So, a simple call to Amazon will fix the problem.... yes, a simple call... a... simple... CALL.... EXCEPT Amazon does not have ANY contact info to call them... and I cannot send them any kind of email since they do not show this as a purchase!!! What kind of company exists that DOES NOT ALLOW YOU TO CALL THEM!!!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo..._gt_comp_cu&#b

That should get you to the contact them page. Click through the options about what you want, and you can have them call you, or you can call them.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:41 PM   #1879

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Well, they do allow you to call them but admittedly it takes some serious digging - someone else on the forum found this and I bookmarked it.

Amazon.com Live Customer Service Live Customer Service Person

866-216-1072
Old 02-01-2017, 01:43 PM   #1880
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo..._gt_comp_cu&#b

That should get you to the contact them page. Click through the options about what you want, and you can have them call you, or you can call them.
Thanks... I was there... but could not get any number to come up...

It should be easy to find a contact number, not a long drawn out process...

Another peeve with Amazon... I am trying to return a defective product with a 3rd party vendor... but all they did was send me a second defective product... I have been trying to get my money back, but they seem bound and determined to keep a whole $10 plus tax....
Closed Thread