What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's pet peeve is web sites that make you enter all or most of your information before you get to the page that calculates shipping. Was shopping for some shirts, trying to get some made in America (not easy). Apparently while some have figured out they can make cloths, they don't know how to program web sites. On top of that, none of them that I found had anything close to reasonable shipping. Common was $10 to $15 for a single package of men's t-shirts. Wow.

Employees who do not care.
Went to a store yesterday and found a defective item on the shelf ("hidden cracks"). I handed it to an employee and explained the problem, suggesting it be taken off the display. "I don't have the authority to do that. You will have to tell the manager." Huge store with low displays, I looked around, no mgr. in sight. I put it back and said, "Then I guess it will be returned someday".
In the past, I would have found a mgr., then pointed out the ee. But, seemed like too much work.....

The small, awkward hole where you pour the Rinse Aid in on the dishwasher door. It inevitably flows out and over the door, wasting a lot.
I have a Bosch so maybe it is just German engineering at its worst.

Hear! Hear!

I've taken to just buying the cheapest brand I can find, because most of it will go to waste anyway.

Another peeve is the brand of detergent Bosch recommends. It comes in little mylar packets containing a blue tablet with a red pill in the middle. If you're not really careful, that red pill will fall off and roll into the back of the dishwasher (where I hope it works, because I'm damned if I'm going to unload the machine to find it).

Employees who do not care.

We were checked out by new cashier at our grocery store a few weeks ago, and he double-scanned a $1.57 item. When I pointed out the mistake, he stared blankly at me and said, "So you want it back?" I said yes, and he barely contained his annoyance while trying to remove the item. Finally had to get another cashier to help. He certainly didn't seem to have what it takes for that line of work, and I haven't seen him there since.

All the prescription drug commercials on TV. Knowing how expensive health care is and seeing the waste of money on these drug commercials drives me nuts. JMHO

The road signs that have dynamic updates for how many miles and minutes to the next major interchanges. How many tax $$ go into the construction and maintenance of those signs that seem to me to provide no useful information. Does anyone ever use the info on the sign to make decisions on their commute?

The road signs that have dynamic updates for how many miles and minutes to the next major interchanges. How many tax $$ go into the construction and maintenance of those signs that seem to me to provide no useful information. Does anyone ever use the info on the sign to make decisions on their commute?

Yes, definitely. I can immediately see if there is trouble ahead and switch to an alternate route. The signs have saved me a good bit of aggravation over the years and I'm glad they're there.

Knowing how expensive health care is and seeing the waste of money on these drug commercials drives me nuts. JMHO
You can bet the drug companies don't think it's a waste of money.
Some/most of the companies spend more on advertising than they do on R&D--and even some of the R&D is more about marketing/profits than treating an illness (i.e. if a drug is about to go off-patent, trying to find a way to modify it slightly or combine it with another ingredient --which could just as well be taken separately by the consumer-- to allow for a new patent and the resultant continuation of the monopoly).
I saw an advertisement for a prescription drug and it had the usual long list of possible side effects, counterindications, and dire warnings. What was the purpose of the drug? To give people thicker eyelashes.
The advertisements are a symptom of a bigger problem, not the problem itself, I'm afraid.

Last edited:
...I saw an advertisement for a prescription drug and it had the usual long list of possible side effects, counterindications, and dire warnings. What was the purpose of the drug? To give people thicker eyelashes.
The advertisements are a symptom of a bigger problem, not the problem itself, I'm afraid.

Are you saying that people who take a prescription medicine for a thinning eyelash condition should not be advised of the medicine's adverse side effects?

Are you saying that people who take a prescription medicine for a thinning eyelash condition should not be advised of the medicine's adverse side effects?

Watched an anti-smoking ad where it appeared that the most benign possible side effect was death.

This is just like the add for a pill to fix opiod induced constipation. (of course in the old days there was paragoric which contained a bit of opium to stop diarrhea.
As with any number of things and the number of medical errors it is best to ask yourself could the solution be worse than the disease?

I don't have time to read them completely before I'm past them, but I suppose they are useful. A related peeve for me is that the traffic reports on the radio, read by a human, are spoken way too fast for my mind to absorb them. All I can hope to do is to listen for one or two key words, concentrate then and only then, and I just have to let the rest of it float on by. Too much too fast.

People who need to have the term "recursive" explained to them.

-ERD50
How about those of us who need 'explained' explained to us? :LOL:

Yes, definitely. I can immediately see if there is trouble ahead and switch to an alternate route. The signs have saved me a good bit of aggravation over the years and I'm glad they're there.

I don't have time to read them completely before I'm past them, but I suppose they are useful. A related peeve for me is that the traffic reports on the radio, read by a human, are spoken way too fast for my mind to absorb them. All I can hope to do is to listen for one or two key words, concentrate then and only then, and I just have to let the rest of it float on by. Too much too fast.

I can't say they've provided much useful info for me, but I don't drive much.

But they are also used for "Amber Alerts", and I can't think of a better way to get timely info where it might be best used than signs like that.

-ERD50

Financial discussions that mix up principal and principle. Everyone knows that a principal is in charge of a school!

[non-political]

Media using "warm and fuzzy" images in headlines to try to stir up rage - where "the law" impinging on flags, puppies, lemonade stands, etc. ------- when, in fact, if something violates a law, it violates the law. Period.

We are a county of laws - get the law changed if you don't like it.

Financial discussions that mix up principal and principle. Everyone knows that a principal is in charge of a school!

In the context of a financial discussion, isn't "principal" usually the correct spelling variation to use?

"The principle of principal is to generate a return."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom