Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 02:14 PM   #1921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
This used to irritate me as well. Then I read the book Traffic and realized they're doing it correctly and most efficiently using the available pavement.
Yes!
Most people don't realize it, but the zipper movement (using all available lanes) is by far the most efficient way through.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2017, 02:14 PM   #1922
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
This used to irritate me as well. Then I read the book Traffic and realized they're doing it correctly and most efficiently using the available pavement.
Yup and to those who object I give a hardy middle finger.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:21 PM   #1923
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Yes!
Most people don't realize it, but the zipper movement (using all available lanes) is by far the most efficient way through.
Yep, and I just wish they would post signs to that effect, so people like RetiredGypsy don't get mad at us for doing it correctly!

If you think about it for a second (this is the "Thinking, Fast and Slow" concept/book I've talked about before), it makes perfect sense. Why would you have a section of roadway, and not let people use it? It is just a wasted resource, causing more traffic backup. If they wanted you to merge way back there, they would have put the gate way back there!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinking,_Fast_and_Slow

OK, RetiredGypsy , now that you know better, please stop getting mad at us, and tell ten friends, and tell them to tell ten friends!

Oh, and maybe an apology is in order for the "rectal-cranial inversion" crack against your fellow er.org members? Hmmmm?

-ERD50
Old 02-06-2017, 02:33 PM   #1924
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
You're walking up to an empty intersection. A lone car pulls up to the stop sign and has plenty of time to take off and get out of your way. But he/she wants to just sit there for 20 seconds while you amble up, so he/she can politely wave you through the intersection as he/she watches you walk through the crosswalk. What's up with that? Guess I'm just ungrateful or something.
You obviously have not lived in a small town. Around here it is the expected way. Even if it takes a WHOLE MINUTE OR TWO.

You know you live in a small town when three cars in a row are a traffic jam. And don't use a turn signal, since everyone knows where you are going.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:46 PM   #1925

Quote:
+1

Why else is that lane there if not to be used? Do the zipper!
Old 02-06-2017, 03:14 PM   #1926

Quote:

I agree. The most efficient way is to use both available lanes and merge via the zipper method at the end.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:21 PM   #1927
Moderator Emeritus

The only problem with the zipper merge (and I am on team zipper 100 percent) is when the state highway department post big signs on their Interstates in construction areas that say "Merge now!" complete with exclamation marks, a mile or so before the actual merge point. I'm thinking those states don't want the zipper. So we merge when those signs tell us to.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:52 PM   #1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
You're walking up to an empty intersection. A lone car pulls up to the stop sign and has plenty of time to take off and get out of your way. But he/she wants to just sit there for 20 seconds while you amble up, so he/she can politely wave you through the intersection as he/she watches you walk through the crosswalk. What's up with that? Guess I'm just ungrateful or something.
You obviously don't live in California. Peds have the right of way and that's one hell of a fine if you don't let them cross and wait until they step onto the curb on the other side.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:55 PM   #1929
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
How about when someone calls, and without asking, "Are you busy right now?" or "Do you have a few minutes to chat?" they launch into a 20, 30, 45 minute monologue on whatever comes to their mind. Then it's, "Oh, well I should let you go now", but they don't! They just start talking again! I'll usually put it on speakerphone and continue making dinner or giving CPR or whatever I was doing. But aarrgghh! As an introvert with a prepay phone plan, I resent having my minutes chewed up this way.

Is my mom calling you, too?
Old 02-06-2017, 07:49 PM   #1930
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Yep, and I just wish they would post signs to that effect, so people like RetiredGypsy don't get mad at us for doing it correctly!

If you think about it for a second (this is the "Thinking, Fast and Slow" concept/book I've talked about before), it makes perfect sense. Why would you have a section of roadway, and not let people use it? It is just a wasted resource, causing more traffic backup. If they wanted you to merge way back there, they would have put the gate way back there!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinking,_Fast_and_Slow

OK, RetiredGypsy , now that you know better, please stop getting mad at us, and tell ten friends, and tell them to tell ten friends!

Oh, and maybe an apology is in order for the "rectal-cranial inversion" crack against your fellow er.org members? Hmmmm?

-ERD50
I'm not talking about the zipper method. I'm a huge fan of the zipper method. I've been using it since before I had a driver's license as a lowly recruit in boot camp. The zipper merge is efficient, and kinda cool to watch the coordination. I don't care that people in the closing lane are getting ahead of people in the continuing lane; that'd be extremely hypocritical of me as someone who used splitting lanes in California on my motorcycle to its full advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
... they wait until the last second to try and squeeze in.
I mean they wait until their mirror is hugging the traffic cones and try to push into the front of the line because they're too important to wait. That behavior I see as no different than those who jump out into the next lane and gun it while weaving through traffic to make sure they're the first one to the onramp/intersection/next red light/etc. Or the people who go through the continuing lane until the last second and then suddenly try to cut into the front of a turn lane.

So unless that pertains to anyone in particular, the "rectal-cranial inversion" crack doesn't apply.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:22 PM   #1931

lose vs. loose

Lose vs Loose

Would it matter to anyone if it was $100.00 vs. $00.100?
Old 02-06-2017, 08:50 PM   #1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post

I'd hate to lose one while the other's loose change.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:36 AM   #1933

Real estate web pages that want me to register before I can look at details about properties. They always seem to want name/email/phone number; I'm just in the "wondering" stage* and don't want to be bothered with follow-up calls or emails.

* We are nearing the end of depreciation on a rental property, and I'm exploring the idea of doing a 1031 exchange for a property on the Outer Banks. There's a lot of research to do before looking at properties.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:39 AM   #1934
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
lose vs. loose

Lose vs Loose

I'm at a loss. Oh, or is that lost?
Old 02-10-2017, 07:29 AM   #1935
Give me a forum ...

Here's my pet peeve of the day:
There's some sports show in the late afternoon on TV and they have a series of the most ridiculous questions like "Do you question if the Falcons should have won?" or "Do you question if Tiger should have withdrawn" or "Do you question if golf should be played in the rain?"

It's an interesting ploy to imply controversy--or create discussion-- on what is merely a news item but I find it sooo annoying. Maybe it's the poor use of the word "question" instead of "wonder", but the posits are so stupid to begin with.

Snowbirding in FL we eat out a lot and this show is on in a lot of places we frequent so it's hard to avoid. Plus, the three stooges on the show (especially the old guy in the middle) all look stoned out of their minds most of the time. "Do you question why this show is even on TV?"
Old 02-10-2017, 07:31 AM   #1936

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Here's my pet peeve of the day:
There's some sports show in the late afternoon on TV and they have a series of the most ridiculous questions like "Do you question if the Falcons should have won?" or "Do you question if Tiger should have withdrawn" or "Do you question if golf should be played in the rain?"

It's an interesting ploy to imply controversy--
Sadly, it sounds a lot like the political "news" of the day, also.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #1937

"Speaks to" where one should use "talks about" or "refers to". As in "I've looked through quite a few posts on websites, but was not able to find anything that speaks to this." This horrible (mis)usage popped up in academia a few years ago, and then oozed on over into politi-babble used by pundits on TV.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:37 AM   #1938
Give me a forum ...

It drives me nuts when old people say, I am nn years *young*.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:30 PM   #1939
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
The over use of "excuse me" is a peeve of mine. For example, when I'm going into the restroom and someone is coming out and we're not even close to bumping into or cutting each other off, yet she has to say, "Excuse me". .....
This happens to me sometimes, and is usually followed with a "the men's washroom is over there"
Old 02-12-2017, 06:58 AM   #1940
Give me a forum ...

Well, today it is DW
Closed Thread