Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #21
Gone but not forgotten

Comcast

and about cellphone talkers...
I have a new solution that I never would have tried in my early years...
When I'm in a store, and find one of those loud talkers, (usually blocking the aisle), I move up close, put my fist up to the side of my face, and begin... VERY LOUD!!!

"Hey, Maude! Did you put the dog out? Last time you left him in the house, he peed on the kitchen floor and I had to clean it up."
"What?" "Don't you dare talk to me like that or I'll send you back to your mother!"

With a straight face, I put my hand back in my pocket, and walk on...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2014, 01:44 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Feed those loose dogs some chocolate as they pass by....
I like dogs, it is the owners that need a knuckle sandwich, including those idiots with a 25 foot reel out leash..
Old 04-22-2014, 01:47 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

OMG, do not get me started on those stupid reel leashes! Grrrr!

Old 04-22-2014, 02:08 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Loose dogs at the park. They poop everywhere and their owners pretend not to see lest they have to pick it up. The dogs harass me and my leashed dog, plus chase wildlife, including ground nesting birds. Owners always have an excuse, which boils down to leash laws being written for other people's dogs, not their darling well behaved pooches.
+1 on loose dogs. Anywhere. The other day, I was in the elevator. The door opened and an unleashed dog barged in, putting his dirty front paws all over my clothes. The owner looked at me as if it was my fault and didn't even apologize. So I guess my real pet peeve is inconsiderate dog owners.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:36 PM   #25
Administrator

It's not the dogs, it's the idiots and morons they are stuck with. Even worse, we can walk away, the dogs don't get to choose.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:51 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Reel leashes are like the snooze button on an alarm clock. Hello, what are you trying to accomplish, teaching your dog to ignore a leash (like teaching yourself to go back to sleep when the alarm goes off).

My pet peeve so far today has been the iPad autocorrect function. So I guess I am really peeved at myself for not turning it off....
Old 04-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #27
Dryer sheet wannabe

My pet peeve is people who can't return the shopping cart to the shopping cart stall and instead leave it in a parking space. There! I finally got that one off my chest!
Old 04-22-2014, 05:42 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valen View Post
My pet peeve is people who can't return the shopping cart to the shopping cart stall and instead leave it in a parking space. There! I finally got that one off my chest!

I hate having a shopping cart on my chest, too.

Kidding, that is rude, lazy, and possibly damaging to others property.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife sings along with the radio in the car (even the commercials) but doesn't know the words so she just makes stuff up.

By the way, she knows this is my pet peeve, but does it anyway.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:45 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valen View Post

Just back from a shopping trip and I'm right there with you - I take a downright proprietary attitude toward Costco and often ask someone loading their trunk if their cart was a good one and ask to use it - saving them the trip to the cart return area. The ones that get deserted out in the parking spaces just tick me off and I will grab one of those if I don't see someone about done loading up.

And speaking of Costco, some of the returns also get me going, as I imagine (hope I imagine) that the person doing the return just needed patio furniture for a few weeks or a big TV for the big game and then returned it.

Oh! Today was garbage pickup day. We had a bunch of yard debris, but not enough garbage or recycling to make it worth taking the cans out and having the truck make an energy wasting stop. The neighbors, however, never fail to have multiple cans filled to overflowing with garbage - in both the garbage AND the recycle cans! WTF - it really doesn't take much brain power to divide garbage from recycle.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:07 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
It's not the dogs, it's the idiots and morons they are stuck with. Even worse, we can walk away, the dogs don't get to choose.
So true, the dogs(or many pets) are smarter than their owners.
MRG
Old 04-23-2014, 04:01 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I try not to have pet peeves. Life is getting too short.

However, the increasing number of telemarketers and phone call scammers, along with the ineffectiveness of the "do not call" list, coupled with the phone companies refusal to provide a good, free solution to block undesired calls, is one.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:42 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

My pet peeve are solicitors going door-to-door trying to sell or have you sign up for whatever. With the arrival of spring they're out in droves and ignore the "no soliciting" signs posted at the entry to the development and by the front door. Politicians are a nuisance too.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I hate having a shopping cart on my chest, too.

Kidding, that is rude, lazy, and possibly damaging to others property.
The nearest WM to me has a parking lot that slopes away from the building. Add in the fact that's it can be very windy around here. I once saw a cart zooming down the lot, probably running 10+mph. That could do some damage.

Sad that people are so self-centered and lazy that simple actions like returning a cart to the cart parking lot is too much...

And get off my lawn!

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 04-23-2014, 08:16 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Inconsiderate people who don't follow the rules of the community. One of the hazards of living in a condo development but should not be.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I woke up cranky cause I still am W*king so everyone else's peeves sound like whining. Only the infinite numbers of peeves in my head sound valid. Agree on the dogs.LOL
Old 04-23-2014, 08:42 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Just back from a shopping trip and I'm right there with you - I take a downright proprietary attitude toward Costco and often ask someone loading their trunk if their cart was a good one and ask to use it - saving them the trip to the cart return area. The ones that get deserted out in the parking spaces just tick me off and I will grab one of those if I don't see someone about done loading up.

And speaking of Costco, some of the returns also get me going, as I imagine (hope I imagine) that the person doing the return just needed patio furniture for a few weeks or a big TV for the big game and then returned it.

Oh! Today was garbage pickup day. We had a bunch of yard debris, but not enough garbage or recycling to make it worth taking the cans out and having the truck make an energy wasting stop. The neighbors, however, never fail to have multiple cans filled to overflowing with garbage - in both the garbage AND the recycle cans! WTF - it really doesn't take much brain power to divide garbage from recycle.
My pet peeve - amateurs at costco. I call them amateurs because they seem clueless on how to shop there. They block the aisle in both directions with their shopping cart. They will park their cart - blocking then aisle - then go leisurely walk over to whatever food sample is nearby. (This can take several minutes if it's a roadshow of multiple flavors of hummis or somesuch.) They leave the cart in the parking space (as mentioned above). They don't know the system for what to unload vs what to leave in the cart at the register.

Show a little spacial awareness folks - you wouldn't park your car in the center of the road where people can't go around either side of you. Why do that with your shopping cart?

(FWIW - Ranch 99 and Zion Market are worse. Smaller carts - but much smaller aisles as well.)
Old 04-23-2014, 08:42 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Magazines that only print the page number on the page about every 25 pages. Having to flip thru or count pages to find an article is a pain.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Having to call a government agency (state or federal) to discuss an issue or attempt to fix problem. Usually, no one answers the phone and it goes to voice mail saying leave info and a call will be returned (right!).

Or, if you get lucky and get a human (using the reference broadly), they can't help you and pass you to a extension that just rings and rings and rings....
Old 04-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Plastic soda/water bottles (2-ltr, 24 oz., 12 oz., or whatever) with those funky shaped pointed bottoms. Always falling over in the old refridgerators with steel racks and other places. Why can't they just put a nice flat bottom on them for stability? And the plastic caps on said bottles just keep getting smaller and smaller (I know this is a cost factor). Seems I'm dropping them more and more because they're so small.
Closed Thread