Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Here's one. Online yesterday, BBT Bank required me to update my security questions. I couldn't get a screenshot from the dropdown box but I did take a photo. First choice .. What's your biggest pet peeve?

The obvious answer is "BBT security questions" .... Seriously, I will never remember the answer to that question. Pet peeves can be numerous and fleeting and do not stick in my memory. It's a poor choice for security question but I am seeing more and more poor set of security questions these days.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2014, 03:12 PM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
My pet peeve of everyday: junk email. Today I got an email from an online photo album company congratulating me on my "new arrival". Really? I'm 54 and DS doesn't have a girlfriend. Guess I'll have a talk with DH (just kidding!)
Did you recently buy a baby gift? Or even open up and peruse a baby registry online?

I am 58, and definitely not anticipating any "new arrivals!". However, a few weeks ago I purchased a baby gift in a store (after looking at the registry online) and I have received two junk flyers advertising great savings at another local baby emporium.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:00 PM   #183
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I hate when people leave their motorcycle idling for a long time when in close proximity to other people. I think that is very inconsiderate.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:08 PM   #184
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I hate when people leave their motorcycle idling for a long time when in close proximity to other people. I think that is very inconsiderate.
What I find inconsiderate is a motorcycle (or car) that is loud at any RPM.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Did you recently buy a baby gift? Or even open up and peruse a baby registry online?

I am 58, and definitely not anticipating any "new arrivals!". However, a few weeks ago I purchased a baby gift in a store (after looking at the registry online) and I have received two junk flyers advertising great savings at another local baby emporium.
The company later sent out an apology for the email, there was a mix up and that email went to everyone that had signed up for the company, which I did 4 years ago. I think I like this company now.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #186
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
What I find inconsiderate is a motorcycle (or car) that is loud at any RPM.
Yes, those loud bikes with an "ape hanger". I imagine launching a noise-seeking missile at them.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #187
Moderator Emeritus

My pet peeve is advertising in general. Spam, junk phone calls, junk snail mail, bright flourescent 3 foot long banners hung from my door, ads on websites, television ads, radio ads, and more. We are constantly deluged with more advertising in our lives than content.

I don't read or listen to any of it, and to the best of my knowledge I have never once in my 65+ years of life bought something due to an ad. Just thinking of the millions of trees slaughtered, not to mention the bandwidth required for all that spam, is enough to make a person sick.

Besides, it is annoying.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 05-20-2014, 09:36 AM   #188
Give me a forum ...

Pet peeve from yesterday: took car in for final "free" maintenance check. Turns out it was for 24 mos. or 25k miles, so was not free, but I suppose $19.95 isn't too bad for a tire rotation. Plus, they vacuumed my car.

Anyway, cheap-azz OEM tires will need replaced soon. Dealer rep shows me some options, then proceeds to tell me I "need" a four-wheel alignment for $120. Granted, I was planning on buying tires from Costco, plus I know the guy was doing his "j*b" trying to up-sell me, but what really happened is they lost my business for good. Four-wheel alignment at 25k miles? Thing drives straight as an arrow, no weird wear on tires, no reason but to sell some gullible sucker something they don't need. Too bad for them...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 05-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #189
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, but he was probably hoping for somebody like me. I probably would have gone for it. I love knowing for sure that my wheels are absolutely perfectly aligned. I guess I "have a thing" about wheel alignment. I'd rather get my wheels aligned when they didn't need it, than not get them aligned when they did.

I still have my OEM tires after 4+ years and 15,700 miles or so. No alignments, yet, but I probably need one. Had to have a few holes plugged (there are a lot of roofing nails on the street here from time to time).

Old 05-20-2014, 11:54 AM   #190
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
...........I still have my OEM tires after 4+ years and 15,700 miles or so. No alignments, yet, but I probably need one. Had to have a few holes plugged (there are a lot of roofing nails on the street here from time to time).
At that rate, your tires will rot off before they wear out.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #191
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
At that rate, your tires will rot off before they wear out.
They will, you're right! When I drove a little Solara I used to get my tires changed every three years whether I needed them or not. My Venza came with the HUGE tires as part of the fancy upgraded package, though, and it is going to cost me a mint to replace them when the time comes. So, I have been putting that off.

It's nice to be retired with no commuting, and to live in a nice inner suburb where everything I need is close by.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:59 PM   #192
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Yeah, but he was probably hoping for somebody like me. I probably would have gone for it. I love knowing for sure that my wheels are absolutely perfectly aligned. I guess I "have a thing" about wheel alignment. I'd rather get my wheels aligned when they didn't need it, than not get them aligned when they did.

I still have my OEM tires after 4+ years and 15,700 miles or so. No alignments, yet, but I probably need one. Had to have a few holes plugged (there are a lot of roofing nails on the street here from time to time).
If you can take your hands off the wheel at freeway speed, and your car keeps going perfectly straight, you don't need an alignment. Wheel balancing, on the other hand, should be done every time you rotate the tires.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 05-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #193
Give me a forum ...

Sorry, not angry about anything today.

Most of my trouble is caused by me, and no point in getting peeved at me.

Ha
Old 05-20-2014, 08:18 PM   #194
Moderator Emeritus

Today's pet peeve:

Buying a $375.00 Kraus faucet and having Chinese picture installation directions with no text (words) and parts shown on the diagram that are not required or even in the box.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:55 PM   #195

Just got Hughesnet internet set up. The new system supports phone calls very nicely so I ordered OOMA. It arrived today and so did my aggravations. Worked through the on-line install and it asked for my address. It insisted on putting me on the street followed by Road. I live on Lane. That was for 911 calls. The Road is about 10 miles from me. It finally let me just move on. Then it asked me for a credit card. I put all the information in and it kept rejecting it. I even looked up the info on my credit card website to make sure everything was right and asked a rep on that site to verify that the expiration date had not changed, etc. I even tried a different credit card - still rejected. I gave up and went to check my e-mail. There it was! An e-mail congratulating me for completing the registration process for OOMA. It had been sitting in my e-mail for over an hour while I was about to throw the thing through a window. I hooked up the hardware and let it sync up and it works fine now. I HATE dealing with on-line setup proceedures!

But at least if have a phone now and can call someone with the offending company to do my rant.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:50 PM   #196

Fancy booklets and advertising from Children 's hospitals around the country. I get these all the time. I 'm in Pennsylvania I'm generally not going to refer patients to Cinncinati or DC. Good grief what a waste of trees!
Old 05-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #197

Web pages with multi-page listings of things where you must scroll to the bottom of the current page only to find out that the entry you are looking for is on some following page, causing another click, and repeat until you find the page that contains the item you want.

For example, go to the Community -> Member List, click R looking for Rustward and go at it. You'll find him on page 28. If you did it the hard way, you would have scrolled down to the bottom of 27 pages, then clicked on the next page number, scrolled down until you saw Rustward. But most people would have skipped some pages, which becomes a hit-and-miss proposition.

If the key (user name) of the last entry on the page were displayed on the top of the page, one could make the decision to page forward without having to scroll down to the bottom of the page.

[In the mainframe world, which happens to be still very much alive, this would be called a "search key greater than or equal" -- done the hard way (manually).]

Or, an alternative: When I click on the R, show me a page that contains a clickable link for each of the "R" pages, along with the highest key (user name) of each entry on that page. Then I can find the page that would contain the user name I am looking for (if it exists) and go directly to that page.

But this is still a manual search. These computers were invented to work for us, not the other way around.

Even better: How hard would it be to implement a generic search? Not talking about wildcard characters (but those would be nice). Give me a box and let me enter the starting characters of what I am looking for. Entering "rus" would position me on "rusnkaz", which is 16 entries above "rustward". But if I take all the effort to then type a "t", I wind up on rustward's member list entry.

I used the member list just as an example. There are lots of places where this could apply -- and some websites do this. It may be worth it only on lists that have the potential to become very long. For a list that might have a maximum of 10 entries it might be overkill.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:47 AM   #198
Full time employment: Posting here.

DVDs where the Main Menu and Skip Chapter buttons are disabled during the opening previews and commercials. I just want to start the movie, lol.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:30 AM   #199
Dryer sheet aficionado

People who come to this board and post that they have a net worth of 8+ million and no debt and asking if they have enough money to retire. Ah wait.... that might not be a pet peeve; that might be jealousy.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by movaly1 View Post
People who come to this board and post that they have a net worth of 8+ million and no debt and asking if they have enough money to retire. Ah wait.... that might not be a pet peeve; that might be jealousy.

I posted something similar in another thread.

Moreover, there are those who give them the advice of 2% WR as if they'd run out of their $8M due to "unforeseen" events.

Closed Thread