Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 12:21 PM   #321
Recycles dryer sheets

When you're in a crowded public area, and some guy's standing there talking to somebody else, then he starts to walk away but turns around walking backward while he finishes the conversation -- "Yea, so call me... no email me, you got my email... yea I'll see you then."

Meanwhile everybody behind him scrambles to get out of the way while this big guy barrels through the crowd walking backward. When you can't get out of the way he just slams into you full speed, both of you stumble around and he says "Oh, sorry. Didn't see you."

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #322
Moderator Emeritus

I review technical reports occasionally. Some writers like to use the word "utilize" in places where something is used. Like this: The shop utilizes oil taken from 275 gallon tanks....

That drives me crazy, especially when the report is full of "utilize" words instead of just plain "use".
Old 09-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #323
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I review technical reports occasionally. Some writers like to use the word "utilize" in places where something is used. Like this: The shop utilizes oil taken from 275 gallon tanks....

That drives me crazy, especially when the report is full of "utilize" words instead of just plain "use".
+++++! I hate the word utilize. It smacks of someone trying to sound sophisticated when they obviously are not.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:33 PM   #324

New home construction contractors who put wallpaper directly on unpainted drywall.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #325
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
New home construction contractors who put wallpaper directly on unpainted drywall.
I believe that percentage is "100"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 09-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #326
Give me a forum ...

My pet peeve of the day is going to a restaurant and received a large plate of food but the waitress only gives one napkin. You cannot be serious!
Old 09-02-2014, 04:34 PM   #327
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
My pet peeve of the day is going to a restaurant and received a large plate of food but the waitress only gives one napkin. You cannot be serious!
Especially if it's chicken wings.......
Old 09-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Especially if it's chicken wings.......
Or ribs.....
Old 09-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #329
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm seeing this more and more in news articles : using the awkward and weird (but new!) "reach out" instead of the much preferable "contacted" or "asked". Example : this reporter reached out to BP to find out.....
Old 09-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #330
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
My pet peeve are people who use handicapped parking spots that don't need them.
That's funny, because one of my (very smallest) pet peeves is parking lots having way too many handicapped spaces. At least where I live, the handicapped spaces are never anywhere close to being used up. A cynic perhaps, but I'm guessing it's a heck of a lot easier, for the businesses involved, to put up a sign than it is to do more expensive and complicated (and more useful, assuming there are enough handicapped spaces) things like wheelchair ramps.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:39 AM   #331
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintosea View Post
This morning at the local grocery store, a Chihuahua was left in a car with windows 1/4 rolled down. I went inside when I came out, the car was still there. Dog was panting but OK. Sat in my car waiting for owner to appear or I would take the dog out. Owner came out shortly. Didn't feel like confrontation so left it at that. It was 86 degrees at about 10:30 am in the mountains in So. Cal. Too hot for that little girl! I hate the confrontations but will if absolutely necessary. My peeve of the today!
My wife was confronted by a police officer about having a dog in the car with the windows up. She said, "the car is running and the air conditioning is on. Can't you hear it?" That time it was the officer and the complainer who were the embarrassed ones. By the way, she had only been in the store for five minutes.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:44 AM   #332
Recycles dryer sheets

My pet peeve of the day are the people who don't know how to use "ly" on the end of a word. The classic example is "I hope you don't take this personal..."
Old 09-03-2014, 06:49 AM   #333
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlefty View Post
My wife was confronted by a police officer about having a dog in the car with the windows up. She said, "the car is running and the air conditioning is on. Can't you hear it?" That time it was the officer and the complainer who were the embarrassed ones. By the way, she had only been in the store for five minutes.
Luckily you were in the store only for five minutes. Otherwise the pet peeve might be having your car window smashed while the A/C is running
Old 09-03-2014, 06:52 AM   #334

Quote:
Be careful with that, though...in some areas it's illegal to leave your car running while unattended. I wonder though, if you can do that with modern cars with remote starts and such. Are cars today sophisticated enough that you could turn one on, turn on the a/c remotely, let it run, but if someone tried to break into it, they wouldn't be able to get it into gear?

I've had a few cars where the ignition cylinder would get worn, so you could pull the key out while it was running. In a case like that, I guess you could leave it running with the a/c on, and lock it up. Of course, anybody could still just break into it, put it into gear, and steal it.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:25 AM   #335
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Luckily you were in the store only for five minutes. Otherwise the pet peeve might be having your car window smashed while the A/C is running
The point is...they couldn't hear the car running!
Old 09-03-2014, 07:29 AM   #336
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
+++++! I hate the word utilize. It smacks of someone trying to sound sophisticated when they obviously are not.
My peeve is how people are using embedded. Just heard a news story about how this developer is building a shopping center and 64 unit apartment building embedded in nature. It was an old farm he purchased. It had some trees and a small pond that I guess he's going to build around. That makes it embedded?

On the other hand, I don't think we use the word besotted nearly enough. I am besotted with my dog, who I would never leave in car alone under any circumstances whatsoever.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #337
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ah. A case of them seeing what they expect to see.

Kind of like when you are out to dinner waiting for someone to arrive. Before long, everyone one who walks in the door "could be" that person.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:42 AM   #338
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
My current. Pet peeve. Is people who break up their sentences. Into much smaller sentences. That are not even full sentences. In a strange attempt. To create emphasis.

That is all.

even worse are the people who don't use capitalization. capitalization is a huge courtesy to the reader as it visually signals the end of one sentence and the beginning of another. also it helps to emphasize certain important words. capitalizing the first letter of a sentence makes reading a lot easier for most of us. i usually don't read posts that don't capitalize.

please don't get me started on people who think there is no need for punctuation.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #339

Quote:
Maybe it was an electric car ...
Old 09-03-2014, 02:56 PM   #340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Be careful with that, though...in some areas it's illegal to leave your car running while unattended.
Indeed that is the case in MD, or it was when I retired. The law was passed in response to idiots who leave their cars running and then whine when said car gets stolen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
I wonder though, if you can do that with modern cars with remote starts and such. Are cars today sophisticated enough that you could turn one on, turn on the a/c remotely, let it run, but if someone tried to break into it, they wouldn't be able to get it into gear?
I think that is how at least some are set up, that without the key fob near or in the car it won't go into gear. Also the "run time" for remote start is limited to a set time - 15 to 30 minutes. I have no idea if MD has changed it's law in response to these technological changes.