Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 07:42 AM   #381
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Some TV weatherpeople can be annoying. Their directors seem to be telling them to throw their arms around needlessly and make rapid lunges around the stage, and have a look of panic on their faces.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2014, 07:59 AM   #382

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Some TV weatherpeople can be annoying. Their directors seem to be telling them to throw their arms around needlessly and make rapid lunges around the stage, and have a look of panic on their faces.
Not just the weather. When I tune in to news sometimes I feel like I'm watching the drama queen news hour.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #383

Quote:
It's not too bad (or good depending on your perspective) in US. In foreign TV news programs, they employ attractive young girl usually dressed in mini skirt (regardless of weather out there) to "throw their arms around" and move from one side of screen to another needlessly. I wander if they even majored in meteorology to get their job.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #384

Comcast. Terrible, terrible customer service. Just cancelled my subscription and feel liberated.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucantes View Post
So you are saying everyone in ER.org forums always put words in other posters mouths?!

(I am kidding, I just couldn't resist!)
Oh, it's you again, Lucantes. Now my gloves are off. ...
Old 09-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #386
Recycles dryer sheets

Given the Home Depot CC data breach, and news this morning of a potential google username/password concern, I have spent the day updating logins and purging data for dozens of sites. Banking/financial sites had been kept up to date, but some of the seldom used merchants etc. that I had maintained data on got their turn today. all went well with the exception of one banking site, which I managed to lock myself out of because of their poor feedback on password allowed characters and/or length. No biggy, as it is a local account I had planned on closing out tomorrow anyway.

Which led to me a new pet peeve - sites that won't allow non-alphanumeric characters (#%&*) in passwords, and sites that provide poor feedback on success or failure in changing the password.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #387

My pet peeve of the day (and I should say all 365 days) would be people who say they are going to do something, and don't. People at work, renters, family, you name it. I consider it lying and it drives me nuts.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #388
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Piggybacking on this, the drama of bad weather on the news before a storm is expected and then the ridiculousness this week when the storm was not nearly as bad as expected--last night one of the channels ran OLD FOOTAGE of a previous storm to show what we DIDN'T get the night before but COULD HAVE. Wolf, the boy is calling you again.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #389
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Today's pet peeve is confirmation bias, a well described form of human error.

I had an appointment to meet someone for coffee this morning at 10:30 am. Our email conversation was very clear. I proposed the date and time, and this person accepted the appointment by email several weeks ago. Well, I got stood up because this person thought the appointment was for 5:30 pm. I cannot blame this person for a human error, but my morning was wasted and I spent money on a fancy coffee that I would not otherwise have had.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:50 PM   #390
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Idiot neighbors with uncontrolled dogs.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:08 PM   #391
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
+1 Dogs are the idiots' surrogate aggressors.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:01 PM   #392
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
Ah, one of my favorite pet peeves. There is a surprising amount of information written on this topic, but I think this sums it up nicely. Sorry for the long quote!

Bottom line up front: since we almost always use proportional type on computers, this short-term and relatively recent "rule" is outdated. Unless you are using monospaced type, you should only be using one space.

"Every modern typographer agrees on the one-space rule. It's one of the canonical rules of the profession, in the same way that waiters know that the salad fork goes to the left of the dinner fork and fashion designers know to put men's shirt buttons on the right and women's on the left. Every major style guide—including the Modern Language Association Style Manual and the Chicago Manual of Style—prescribes a single space after a period. (The Publications Manual of the American Psychological Association, used widely in the social sciences, allows for two spaces in draft manuscripts but recommends one space in published work.) Most ordinary people would know the one-space rule, too, if it weren't for a quirk of history. In the middle of the last century, a now-outmoded technology—the manual typewriter—invaded the American workplace. To accommodate that machine's shortcomings, everyone began to type wrong. And even though we no longer use typewriters, we all still type like we do. (Also see the persistence of the dreaded Caps Lock key.)

The problem with typewriters was that they used monospaced type—that is, every character occupied an equal amount of horizontal space. This bucked a long tradition of proportional typesetting, in which skinny characters (like I or 1) were given less space than fat ones (like W or M). Monospaced type gives you text that looks "loose" and uneven; there's a lot of white space between characters and words, so it's more difficult to spot the spaces between sentences immediately. Hence the adoption of the two-space rule—on a typewriter, an extra space after a sentence makes text easier to read. Here's the thing, though: Monospaced fonts went out in the 1970s. First electric typewriters and then computers began to offer people ways to create text using proportional fonts. Today nearly every font on your PC is proportional. (Courier is the one major exception.) Because we've all switched to modern fonts, adding two spaces after a period no longer enhances readability, typographers say. It diminishes it."
http://www.slate.com/articles/techno..._invaders.html

My bigger pet peeve is that my work's styling guide specifically says to only use one space, but I am constantly "corrected" on this. I sooooo hate to be corrected by people who don't actually know the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
NO! NO! NO!

When I saw your 'bottom line up front', I had to assume you were an Air Force person...and yep, . I was right. The 'BLUF' is one of the absolute worst things to EVER happen to my beloved Air Force! Corporate jargon has no place here!!!

Sorry...but yes, I feel better now.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:42 PM   #393
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
NO! NO! NO!

When I saw your 'bottom line up front', I had to assume you were an Air Force person...and yep, . I was right. The 'BLUF' is one of the absolute worst things to EVER happen to my beloved Air Force! Corporate jargon has no place here!!!

Sorry...but yes, I feel better now.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.

If it helps, I have to regularly remind myself that I am "supposed to" have a BLUF. I don't write that way naturally, it's kind of annoying!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-18-2014, 07:53 AM   #394
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cheap dental floss - the kind that will fray, rip, and leave a bothersome 'wedge' lodged between the back teeth which makes you refloss to try and work it loose!

Arghhh....
Old 09-18-2014, 07:56 AM   #395
Give me a forum ...

W*rk. The B.S. bucket just blew up.

Oh wait, maybe it isn't a "pet" peeve. But maybe it is since I could just chuck it if necessary.

... I gotta get an OMY exit plan ...
Old 09-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #396
Full time employment: Posting here.

Using acronyms and then assuming that everyone knows what it means.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:57 AM   #397

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
Using acronyms and then assuming that everyone knows what it means.
You probably wouldn't enjoy working for DOD. It's been a few years for me but they were kind enough to provide an acronym lists document, and as I recall it was over 150 pages long (and growing).
Old 09-18-2014, 10:11 AM   #398

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Not just the weather. When I tune in to news sometimes I feel like I'm watching the drama queen news hour.
I may have mentioned this before but, for me, it's worth repeating: when the night-time TV news anchor cuts to a reporter in the field with a LIVE report. (This can often apply to day-time news reports as well.)

First of all, the field reporter is often standing all alone in the dark in front of some govt. building or business that's been closed for hours, long after the story occurred. And it's not like they are that far away from the TV station that they had to camp out there.

Secondly, and more to the point, it's barely a live report, as the field reporter often will say a few words introductory to a long video piece, show the video, then come back to the live report for a few last words.

And, as an aside, another pet peeve is when a professional reporter is asked a question, s/he'll begin the answer with: "Yeah, I mean...." Or, even more annoyingly, with a "you know" tossed in there somewhere, like: "Yeah, you know, I mean...."
Old 09-18-2014, 12:20 PM   #399

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
Cheap dental floss - the kind that will fray, rip, and leave a bothersome 'wedge' lodged between the back teeth which makes you refloss to try and work it loose!

Arghhh....
I bought some extra-thin dental floss recently to get in between a very close gap between two of my teeth. It frayed, and left pieces in between the teeth in the way you described, so I went back to the thicker stuff only to discover that, as long as it's waxed, it actually does a better job of getting in between the narrow cracks than the fine stuff does (my fine floss wasn't waxed).

On top of that, my dentist told me that she doesn't like the thin stuff as it doesn't do as good a job of removing the "junk n' stuff" that causes plaque build-up.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #400
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
And the same idiots with dogs who don't clean up after them. I have a dog. I carry plastic bags and pick up after my dog. I am constantly amazed that there are so many dog owners out there that think the rest of us (and our dogs) want to walk through a minefield of their dog's poo. And then people wonder why some places aren't "dog-friendly"......
Closed Thread