Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 10:43 PM   #501
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

^ Selective printing will allow font (text) size change + just print what you highlight (windows OS)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2015, 07:22 AM   #502
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not sure if this one has been posed or not so here goes.

Credit Cards charges that appears on statements under a name that has no assemblance to the business I bought from. Since I charge a lot each month, rather than pay cash (I like the cash back) I scan my bills charges to look for fraudulent charges. I've found several (4 or 5) fraud charges over the years. However it's not too uncommon (a few times per year) to find a charge that is listed by a name, that on the surface, has no assemblance to the name of the company I bought from. I noticed this typically happens with on-line purchases rather than from a brick and mortar store. Sometimes I've noticed the websites shopping carts will say, this charge may appear under the name e.g as ABC rather than the NAME BRAND of the website, but not all of them will tell you that or maybe I missed it. Anyway, it can make it challenging trying to figure out if the charge is legit or not. Some charges can take 6 to 8 weeks to post and can be forgotten, especially if the charge was small and mixed in with a bunch of others.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:05 AM   #503
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I have plenty of pet peeves, but what I've learned is that no one gives a $hit what I think............
You think I care?
Old 01-18-2015, 09:11 AM   #504
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Here are a couple of suggestions.
1. Find the relevant area, enlarge it to fit the screen (works on an iPad and a Mac, YMMV), then take a screenshot. Print that if you need to print, or just send it to the cloud and open it on your tablet or phone as required.
2. Save it as a PDF, then print only what you need. This won't enlarge the tiny font, however.
Yes, there are work-arounds, but still, they often spread the info out all over the page, there may be big graphics in-between the text you want to print. They should make it easy for the customer, not make them jump through hoops to print a simple confirmation (not just hotels, many on-line orders).

I just noticed, Amazon is pretty good about this, fairly compact and plain text (though I don't really need to print these - I do like to print hotel or concert/theater confirmations though).

-ERD50
Old 01-18-2015, 09:34 AM   #505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Wind chill reports on the tv news. I don't care what the wind chill is, I want absolute temps. It is 7 degrees right now but the local weather talking head won't say that because a wind chill of -13 is soooo much more dramatic. As if 7 degrees isn't cold.

I don't care for the news hype around weather, but I pay attention to temperature and windchill. I use both to decide how to dress for my runs outside. A run in 28 degrees F with no wind is not bad. A run in 28 degrees F with a windchill of 15 degrees F requires a different set of clothing. Any windchill that approaches 10 F or lower means I will be using a treadmill.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-19-2015, 11:31 AM   #506
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Experienced one today:

Made a hotel reservation. They email a confirmation, and I always figure it would be good to have a hard copy of that, just in case (yes, 'old school', but effective).

Of course their confirmation has a ton of graphics, it covers three pages, and the pertinent info is in a minuscule font.

Give me a one-pager in 14 point font on page 1 to print. Put all the other stuff following that, so I can just tell my 'puter to print page 1.

-ERD50

I forward it to Evernote, and then use its Simplify Formatting functionality (perhaps following up with some editing if there's still too much extraneous information). Of course, I tend to stash everything important in Evernote.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:46 AM   #507
Give me a forum ...

During football games running commercials instead of showing plays. Like kickoffs and certain other plays that the cable people decide is too boring for me and I need an exciting commercial instead.

So the #!*# know I must pay cable to know what to be sold and in their infinite wisdom they are sparing me boring football plays.

heh heh heh - My Curmudgeon Certificate may be resurrected from the filing cabinet.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:36 PM   #508
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
During football games running commercials instead of showing plays. Like kickoffs and certain other plays that the cable people decide is too boring for me and I need an exciting commercial instead.

So the #!*# know I must pay cable to know what to be sold and in their infinite wisdom they are sparing me boring football plays.

heh heh heh - My Curmudgeon Certificate may be resurrected from the filing cabinet.
Interesting. I was skipping past the kickoffs on my OTA dvr since the majority of them end up being touchbacks anyhow
Old 01-19-2015, 08:33 PM   #509
Moderator Emeritus

"Left turn only on signal" intersections in our town that have the left turn timer set for 5 seconds (or less). During busy times, 20 or more cars can end up in the left turn lane waiting for "their turn". This causes the left turn lane to back up cars into the "go straight" lane and that situation creates a huge hazard.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:55 PM   #510

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I haven't flown in over 20 years so I don't know the rules but I would assume having any sound come from a personal electronic device without the use of earbuds would be against the rules. Why would you not call an attendant?

I don't think it's against "the rules" to make noise on a short flight, and they have relaxed the general rules about electronic devices. It was a young happy couple sharing music. I was tempted to pull out my phone and start playing some energetic classical music but I figured 3 jerks were worse than 2. It was a tiny plane, 3 per row total so it wasn't in my best interest to externalize my conflict.

The second leg of the flight featured a one year old with the scream of a Ringwraith; I really felt sorry for the parents, but then was frustrated because they did nothing at all to try to calm the child, didn't even check the diaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
What is your pet peeve of the day?
Old 01-20-2015, 08:16 AM   #511
Full time employment: Posting here.

What is your pet peeve of the day?

There has to be a better way to de-plane. Some scientist already has demonstrated the best ways to load a plane efficiently. Now we need some attention to the unnecessarily sloppy and haphazard way we get people off airplanes. I would wager there are hours of time that could be saved in the cumulative mess that all the de-planing creates.

If the flight attendants would give just a little guidance to the "consideration-challenged," that might help. Often people wait until they are standing in the aisle blocking everyone who is waiting AND READY TO GO behind them while they leisurely gather their belongings. If you are not ready to move-- do not get in the aisle when people are moving to get out. Most of the time you can get anything from the overhead above your aisle either before you get in the aisle or certainly before the line starts to move. If you cannot be ready to move very soon after getting in the aisle, then don't get in the aisle. If your items are in an overhead away from you --GET OUT OF THE AISLE where they are stowed and get your item before re-entering the aisle. Your exit is not more important than the hundred people behind you. People who are ready to move help themselves -but they also help everyone behind them. If someone in a row in front of you is ready to move, quickly let them in but keep the line moving.
The line of people getting off a plane could be a steady single file line constantly in motion. Every time you are leaving a plane if you see a big gap between you and the next person in front of you, that is a sign that you are holding up every single person behind you. Don't.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:22 AM   #512
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
"Left turn only on signal" intersections in or town that have the left turn timer set for 5 seconds. During busy times, 20 or more cars can end up in the left turn lane waiting for "their turn". This causes the left turn lane to back up cars into the "go straight" lane and that situation creates a huge hazard.

How funny that you mention that - I was going to say "NO RIGHT TURN ON RED" intersections. Why not? If I can see to the left and nobody is headed my way, why can't I turn? I waited at one for two minutes the other day while exactly zero cars passed in front of me. What a waste of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-20-2015, 07:46 PM   #513
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
If you cannot be ready to move very soon after getting in the aisle, then don't get in the aisle.
Well, at least there is this silver lining: When an oblivious passenger steps into the aisle to leisurely grab their things and block everyone else, though they hold up the folks behind them, the gap they create is frequently used by folks in the rows toward the front of the plane. I count on this if I'm stuck by a window, and I never have to wait long for a space.

Quote:
There has to be a better way to de-plane. . . . If the flight attendants would give just a little guidance to the "consideration-challenged," that might help.
I doubt it. When a plane arrives late, the FA's often urge people to wait to deplane if they don't have a tight connection. Still, I never notice a difference in the actual behavior people exhibit. In fact, the announcement serves to increase the general level of frustration, since people were just publicly reminded to be considerate and we all see that still they (we) won't do it. I guess the airline wants to be seen to be trying to help, though they know it doesn't actually do anything.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:25 PM   #514
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There has to be a better way to de-plane. Some scientist already has demonstrated the best ways to load a plane efficiently. Now we need some attention to the unnecessarily sloppy and haphazard way we get people off airplanes. I would wager there are hours of time that could be saved in the cumulative mess that all the de-planing creates.

If the flight attendants would give just a little guidance to the "consideration-challenged," that might help. Often people wait until they are standing in the aisle blocking everyone who is waiting AND READY TO GO behind them while they leisurely gather their belongings. If you are not ready to move-- do not get in the aisle when people are moving to get out. Most of the time you can get anything from the overhead above your aisle either before you get in the aisle or certainly before the line starts to move. If you cannot be ready to move very soon after getting in the aisle, then don't get in the aisle. If your items are in an overhead away from you --GET OUT OF THE AISLE where they are stowed and get your item before re-entering the aisle. Your exit is not more important than the hundred people behind you. People who are ready to move help themselves -but they also help everyone behind them. If someone in a row in front of you is ready to move, quickly let them in but keep the line moving.
The line of people getting off a plane could be a steady single file line constantly in motion. Every time you are leaving a plane if you see a big gap between you and the next person in front of you, that is a sign that you are holding up every single person behind you. Don't.

Yeah, good luck with that. Our society has become one of ME! ME! ME!

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:10 PM   #515
Give me a forum ...

Todays.

Seems some software in RE forum is highliting some phrases and words. Presumably with links to somewhere. Can't see where the highlights are relevant to the topic elaborated on.

Just a minor thing. Wonder whose bright idea it was to that? And for what purpose.
Example: Sony in one of my posts.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:20 PM   #516
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Just a minor thing. Wonder whose bright idea it was to that? And for what purpose.
Example: Sony in one of my posts.
Check your browser's add-ons and extensions. Someone (not this forum) slipped you an unwanted bit of software while you weren't looking.

More info here: http://forums.anvisoft.com/viewtopic-64-5770-0.html
Old 01-25-2015, 03:10 PM   #517

http://www.vox.com/2014/7/8/5877863/...e-a-better-way

Aha! Someone else has the same concern! There is even a link to an academic study of this problem...

Old 01-25-2015, 03:48 PM   #518
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Check your browser's add-ons and extensions. Someone (not this forum) slipped you an unwanted bit of software while you weren't looking.

More info here: How to remove malicious browser extensions or add-ons from IE//FF/Chrome by using Anvi Slim Toolbar?- AnviSoft
Checked add ons and extensions, nothing new. ABP is active, Malwarebytes found nothing.

The highlighting only occours when viewing the forum without logging in. If logged in, no highlited words or phrases. May have to re-activate ghostery to kill off trackers. I am trying to keep the active addins addons to a minimum.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:18 PM   #519

Side split pillow cases.

The supposed cool designer type with the opening to get the pillow in on the side with overlapping tabs to 'hide' the opening.

Putting a pillow in is like wrestling with a bag of rubber chickens - and no matter how much I wrestle and smooth out and adjust, the pillows are still uneven.

Arrrggg...grrrr...
Great question
Old 01-26-2015, 03:34 PM   #520
Recycles dryer sheets

Great question

People being interviewed who reply to each question asked with, "Great Question!" Really? It is annoying.
Closed Thread