Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 04:44 PM   #521
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newventurer View Post
People being interviewed who reply to each question asked with, "Great Question!" Really? It is annoying.
I've noticed that, too. It must be the latest advice from how-to-do-an-interview coaches.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2015, 07:03 PM   #522
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newventurer View Post
People being interviewed who reply to each question asked with, "Great Question!" Really? It is annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I've noticed that, too. It must be the latest advice from how-to-do-an-interview coaches.
Agreed. It seems like such an obvious 'suck up' to the interviewer ('you are so smart!'), like it might affect the interviewer enough to go easy on them.

-ERD50
Old 01-27-2015, 10:05 AM   #523
Give me a forum ...

Those annoying slide shows that people use to pass on information online. Mostly they are nonsense stuff like "The hottest ER bachelors" or "15 ways to BBQ fermented Kale".

One has to click anywhere from 10 to 24 times to find only one or two pieces of useful information, if any at all. Please just give us a list we can scan, and then a link to click on to get more information on the one or two things we find interesting.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:13 AM   #524
Recycles dryer sheets

People who leave their grocery shopping carts in the middle of the aisle preventing you from getting past. Ugh!! I give them two "excuse me" so they will move their cart. If no response I move their cart.

I guess I'm a cart Nazi. I hate discourteous behavior.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:13 AM   #525
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Agreed. It seems like such an obvious 'suck up' to the interviewer ('you are so smart!'), like it might affect the interviewer enough to go easy on them.

-ERD50
Or, the more times you say "Great question", the less time you have to lie actually answer...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 01-27-2015, 10:25 AM   #526
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Or, the more times you say "Great question", the less time you have to lie actually answer...

I think this is the real motivation behind throwing that phrase out. It's just to buy time for them to think about how to formulate their response, and sounds better than "Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...."
Old 01-27-2015, 02:40 PM   #527

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2soon2tell View Post
People who leave their grocery shopping carts in the middle of the aisle preventing you from getting past. Ugh!! I give them two "excuse me" so they will move their cart. If no response I move their cart.

You're more patient than me. I just move the cart. Stupidity and rudeness doesn't deserve an "Excuse me".
Old 01-27-2015, 03:06 PM   #528
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
You're more patient than me. I just move the cart. Stupidity and rudeness doesn't deserve an "Excuse me".
These are probably the same people that leave their cart in the parking space so that the next person can't get into the spot.

Really? You can't walk 20 ft to the cart return?
Old 01-27-2015, 03:18 PM   #529
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2soon2tell View Post

Give them a break, they are probably closing a million dollar deal on their cell phone and just to busy to notice they are blocking the aisle for a common person. I've heard some funny one sided conversations listening to people in a public place talk on their cell phones.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:03 PM   #530
Give me a forum ...

Usually they position the cart at close to 90 degrees to the aisle so they get maximum blocking power. 😼

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:22 PM   #531
Recycles dryer sheets

My dog died in August and I really miss her! I miss my walking buddy and all around good friend. We are holding off on any new pets as we approach cutting loose and anticipating a year or two on the road. Great husband and lots of great peeps but there is nothing like a dog to make you feel like the most important and exciting and wonderful thing to have happened all day. Dogs like kids help us see through shear bliss glasses. I'm trying to develop my own bliss glasses but she was such a great reminder to live in the moment! I miss her so much. That is my pet peeve for today and the last several months.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:05 PM   #532
Give me a forum ...

I'm sorry for your loss GreenER. Dogs and other pets are great friends and comfort. Remember all the happy days, each is a gift. Your dog would love for you to be happy. We're dog people, your words touched me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-30-2015, 08:55 PM   #533
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Big pet peeve today:

Someone from my former work signed her entire email list up for a listserve related to my former work. It was my personal email address. I had asked that my name be removed from all the email lists when I left back in September, and it appears that I was removed, as I stopped getting emails from the hospital personnel. But then they sent my email to this useless listserv. Long story why they had my personal email.

In two hours, there were 19 emails in my inbox as a direct result of that listserve. I asked to be removed from the listserv, and that was done, but I was unable to discover the goon who did this is. Interestingly, several of the emails were from people asking to be removed from the listserv. Idiots!
Old 01-30-2015, 09:06 PM   #534
Recycles dryer sheets

The 3 women who work for me are usually wonderful and don't require much management. Except for today. One said something that hurt the others feelings, one stormed out after our meeting, then I got a slew of texts from both them with their side of the story. Felt like I had a group of teenage girls working for me instead of professional women.

Luckily this is a rare occurrence but still annoyed the heck out of me today.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:20 AM   #535
Recycles dryer sheets

If you make a peeve your pet it will follow you home and then follow you around. I think catch and release is the way to go!

Oh and thanks MRG I am trying to stay focused on all of our happy times.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:01 AM   #536
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Those annoying slide shows that people use to pass on information online. Mostly they are nonsense stuff like "The hottest ER bachelors" or "15 ways to BBQ fermented Kale".

One has to click anywhere from 10 to 24 times to find only one or two pieces of useful information, if any at all. Please just give us a list we can scan, and then a link to click on to get more information on the one or two things we find interesting.
I was about to mention this and you beat me to it. I understand they are trying to get as many "click throughs" as they can in order to generate revenue..but please, it's SO annoying. At least give us the OPTION to see it on one screen.

Now, my Facebook peeve of the day: There is a public page, say with 1,000 members. Someone poses a question such as "What is the building next to XXX". Now, pretty early on, someone will answer the question. And then someone else will too, then about 100 people will...it keeps on going. WHY!?!? It's answered, you need not contribute the SAME INFORMATION!!!
Old 01-31-2015, 02:37 PM   #537
Give me a forum ...

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but all these embedded sigs on this forum, like:
Quote:
(pad with a few blank lines)

Sent from my XYZ device, using bla-bla-bla software

(pad with a few blank lines)
First, I don't care what device/SW anyone uses. Do you think I do? Why?

Second, I just have to delete that section when I quote, 'cause it looks really stupid to quote something that is stupid to begin with, and then just takes up space again.

Note that a sig in the forum software is not included in a quote, so that's not so bad.

Can't people change that setting, and not send it with every freakin' post? We got it the first time.

-ERD50
Old 01-31-2015, 02:41 PM   #538

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but all these embedded sigs on this forum, like:
It is my understanding that it is embedded in the app, and no they can't turn it off. Blame the developer, not the user.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:48 PM   #539
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
It is my understanding that it is embedded in the app, and no they can't turn it off. Blame the developer, not the user.
I believe it can be edited and/or turned off by going to Settings, Signature in the app.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:53 PM   #540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I believe it can be edited and/or turned off by going to Settings, Signature in the app.
Oh, okay. I wasn't sure and don't use the app myself.