Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 12:35 PM   #621
Full time employment: Posting here.

My pet peeve is the rant thread is filled with things that should only be listed here. Damn we have it good! :-)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2015, 04:53 PM   #622
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

People in the checkout line, who, upon hearing the total, start digging for their reward card, which they can't find. So they give their phone number, which they apparently can't remember. Then it occurs to them that they are expected to pay, so they resume digging, this time for their checkbook...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 03-23-2015, 09:38 PM   #623
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Here is my current pet peeve,,,, I'm buying beer in a grocery store the other day and I need to show an ID.
Ya, it pisses me off that I haven't been ID'd in 30 years. The last time I was 34 and the 19 yo kid behind the bar asked me whose ID I'd borrowed. I wasn't really nice, today I would be.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:30 PM   #624
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Head View Post
Ya, it pisses me off that I haven't been ID'd in 30 years. The last time I was 34 and the 19 yo kid behind the bar asked me whose ID I'd borrowed. I wasn't really nice, today I would be.
I got ID'd about 5 years ago. But it was to check if I really qualified for the 'Senior Discount' (55!) at a hotel.

I guess I've been carded for alcohol a few times in the past few years, I don't mind, I know they are just doing their job.

-ERD50
Old 03-24-2015, 08:13 AM   #625
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
In the spirit of keeping the thread alive with pet peeves. I'll add one

Why oh why is it necessary for some people to make a family outing out of a weekend trip to the grocery store? It's already too crowded. Why must mom, dad, and three energetic kids all plug the aisles? Let one parent stay home with the kids and send the other to shop in peace!
Aha! People in store aisles. 2 kinds. The ones with blinders on who charge ahead knocking everyone over. And the ones who stand right in the worst spot, blocking everyone else, while they stare blankly at something, for hours, oblivious to the world around them. On a related note, why is there always someone else standing right in front of the exact item you want? Tons of space to the right, tons of space to the left, and the person has to just stand right in front of your item (and just stare at it for an hour).
Old 03-24-2015, 10:50 AM   #626
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
In the spirit of keeping the thread alive with pet peeves. I'll add one

Why oh why is it necessary for some people to make a family outing out of a weekend trip to the grocery store? It's already too crowded. Why must mom, dad, and three energetic kids all plug the aisles? Let one parent stay home with the kids and send the other to shop in peace!
I can think of a couple of reasons why shoppers might bring the kids along.
1. Single parents, no one to babysit.
2. Recent media stories about what can happen when small kids are left alone in cars.
3. Helping kids to learn about meal making and budgeting.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:19 PM   #627
Give me a forum ...

My pet peeve is stores with only a single stall bathroom. When the ADA laws first were passed, they converted many two-holers into a single large stall. I can see that as a practical necessity. But newer construction mens' bathrooms all seem to have a single stall. It's not a big deal until you need one and some homeless guy is camping in one, the single toilet is plugged and overflowing or simply occupied by long timer.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:48 PM   #628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I can think of a couple of reasons why shoppers might bring the kids along.
1. Single parents, no one to babysit.
2. Recent media stories about what can happen when small kids are left alone in cars.
3. Helping kids to learn about meal making and budgeting.
Oh, sure, I understand that. But why do they always do it on the same day and the same time that I'm there? Are they telepathic or something to plan this ahead of time?
Old 03-24-2015, 03:50 PM   #629
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Oh, sure, I understand that. But why do they always do it on the same day and the same time that I'm there? Are they telepathic or something to plan this ahead of time?

Yes. It's a conspiracy!
Old 03-24-2015, 04:22 PM   #630
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sunday around 12:00 ?
Old 03-27-2015, 08:56 AM   #631
Give me a forum ...

Another day, another pet peeve.

Waiting for repairmen to show up. Most places will say AM or PM, but beyond that, forget any communication. In the past, before cell phones, this was somewhat excusable, but now it would be easy for a guy to call and say I'm running early, or late or not coming at all - but it doesn't seem to be any better.

And so I sits and waits..........
Old 03-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #632

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Waiting for repairmen to show up. Most places will say AM or PM, but beyond that, forget any communication. In the past, before cell phones, this was somewhat excusable, but now it would be easy for a guy to call and say I'm running early, or late or not coming at all - but it doesn't seem to be any better.
Having once been one of those repair guys I know why they can't do that. It is because they don't know.

What happens is they get a list of calls and the nature of the complaint (i.e., "washer won't spin") and he knows the two or three things that will cause it. So he gets a block away and the street is closed because a house is on fire (yes, that happened!) Or more likely, what was supposed to be a 20-minute job turns into a 2-hour job because some nut or screw is seemingly welded in place, or the lot of them were put in place by a gorilla having a bad day at work, or something that unexpectedly makes a trivial task a tedious one.

We're all familiar with Murphy's Law, so if he calls and says "I'm running ahead and should be there in 45 minutes" that is exactly when he'll run into the aforementioned problem, or the truck dies, or something will make a liar out of him. So he doesn't call you and the six other people he's going to that day.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:49 AM   #633
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Having once been one of those repair guys I know why they can't do that. It is because they don't know.

We're all familiar with Murphy's Law, so if he calls and says "I'm running ahead and should be there in 45 minutes" that is exactly when he'll run into the aforementioned problem, or the truck dies, or something will make a liar out of him. So he doesn't call you and the six other people he's going to that day.
I understand all that, but...

If they tell me they will be at my place at 3:00, and I get a call at 3:35 that they'll be late - I'm PO'd. if He's 15 minutes away from my house, he knew by 2:45 he was gonna be late, and should have called then.

-ERD50
Old 03-27-2015, 12:02 PM   #634
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You are more sympathetic than I am. I have had good repairmen who do call and say, "I'm finishing the last job now and I'll be to your house in a half hour, or similar. That's great because I know that I can run up to the store, take the dog for a short walk or take a shower. It is the sitting around for hours at a time needlessly that grinds me.

Us retirees are busy!
Old 03-27-2015, 01:18 PM   #635
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Mail carriers: Pet Peeve.

This week we had a mail order prescription delivered to our mailbox but it wasn't ours. Same house number, much different street and clearly labelled.

So we left it in the box with a note saying it was not ours. Next day...still there (ignored by the carrier). So I delivered it myself to the old gentleman who had asked the SAME carrier why it showed "delivered" online and he had not received it. Go figure...

Hey, we are not talking about a Lego set here, this is prescription medicine.
In the '90s, I was a machine gun dealer for a while. I had UPS leave THREE full auto UZIs on my front door step with signature cards still attached. Good thing I live in the country.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
Old 03-30-2015, 01:54 PM   #636
Give me a forum ...

Peeve is mis-stocked bins and even though I know better, I did it again today.

I went to Home Depot to pick up some small plumbing parts. I found what I needed and grabbed a couple more out of the same bin. When I got home and had everything apart, I realized that the parts that I bought are a mix of similar, but different sized parts.

So, back to the store to get the right parts leaving the house with no water service.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:45 AM   #637
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You're driving down a narrow, empty 2 lane highway. There is only one other car, and it is approaching from the other direction. There is also a bicyclist on your side of the road, ahead of you. There is a 100% chance that you, the bicyclist, and the approaching car will converge at the same location.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:05 AM   #638
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
You're driving down a narrow, empty 2 lane highway. There is only one other car, and it is approaching from the other direction. There is also a bicyclist on your side of the road, ahead of you. There is a 100% chance that you, the bicyclist, and the approaching car will converge at the same location.
The courteous thing to do would be for the biker to pull off the road but legally they have the same rights as any other vehicle. Legally the car going in the same direction as the bike needs to slow down until it's safe to pass. I've seen many people who have a complete disregard of the bicyclists rights to use the road. Ideally there's a separate bike lane, but if not, it's their road too.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:35 AM   #639
Moderator Emeritus

Can't someone slow down or stop?
Old 04-18-2015, 07:47 AM   #640
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Can't someone slow down or stop?
Depends where you live. Some states everyone slows. Others they all speed up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Closed Thread