Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 07:50 AM   #641
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like an excellent math word problem.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2015, 12:46 PM   #642
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
You're driving down a narrow, empty 2 lane highway. There is only one other car, and it is approaching from the other direction. There is also a bicyclist on your side of the road, ahead of you. There is a 100% chance that you, the bicyclist, and the approaching car will converge at the same location.
If the bicyclist is on my side of the road, I slow down until other car passes then I'll pass the bicyclist. It's being courteous and sharing the road.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:54 PM   #643

Teaser sales. I've been looking at a piece of furniture for a couple months. Today is Macy's "one day sale." Go in store and the furniture has a sign over the usual price saying "one day sale!" But no, the item was not less than it has been for months. As explained by the salesperson, it is "always on sale, including the one day sale."
Old 04-18-2015, 02:23 PM   #644
Give me a forum ...

My pet peeve continues to be inconsiderate pet owners, but I think I scored some success.

I have a 1.5 acre lot and a neighbor that built right on the lot line. This neighbor has a Rottweiler that goes nuts every time I go into the back yard. There is no fence, so the dog stands at the treeline snarling and barking for the whole time I'm in the back yard.

I've told the neighbor I don't like it, but he hasn't done anything about it. I thought about complaining to the local authorities, but then it is his word against mine as to what the dog does. So, I decided to shoot videos of the dog barking and snarling with no provocation on my part and post them to YouTube so they can be accessed by the authorities. Amazingly, as soon as the neighbor realized I was out there shooting video he ran out and took the dog inside. After years of deafness he can finally hear the dog!

On a similar note, when I moved into this rural neighborhood, numerous dogs would attack me and my leashed dog right in the street with no intervention from the owners. I decided to carry a 1 1/2 inch diameter oak shovel handle with me and amazingly, the same deaf owners suddenly became aware of the situation and scrambled out to grab their dogs. Even better, I learned that dogs know what a stick is and what it can do and they kept their distance without a word from me.

Moral of the story, some dog owners are deaf, but it is curable.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:41 PM   #645

Quote:
You're driving down a narrow, empty 2 lane highway. There is only one other car, and it is approaching from the other direction. There is also a bicyclist on your side of the road, ahead of you. There is a 100% chance that you, the bicyclist, and the approaching car will converge at the same location.
The dreaded synchronicity phenomenon - Add a narrow bridge and no other traffic in the past hour - this same scenario has happened to me more than once while bike-touring the otherwise sparsely populated desert southwest.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:58 AM   #646

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
The dreaded synchronicity phenomenon - Add a narrow bridge and no other traffic in the past hour - this same scenario has happened to me more than once while bike-touring the otherwise sparsely populated desert southwest.
Another variant of this is the huge pothole that shows up at the same time as these other distractions. 10 miles of no potholes, no other cars, no bicyclists, then all 3 in the same place.

BTW, in my scenario I would slow down and wait til I could get by the bicyclist without danger, of course.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:50 AM   #647
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
My pet peeve continues to be inconsiderate pet owners, but I think I scored some success.

I have a 1.5 acre lot and a neighbor that built right on the lot line. This neighbor has a Rottweiler that goes nuts every time I go into the back yard. There is no fence, so the dog stands at the treeline snarling and barking for the whole time I'm in the back yard.

I've told the neighbor I don't like it, but he hasn't done anything about it. I thought about complaining to the local authorities, but then it is his word against mine as to what the dog does. So, I decided to shoot videos of the dog barking and snarling with no provocation on my part and post them to YouTube so they can be accessed by the authorities. Amazingly, as soon as the neighbor realized I was out there shooting video he ran out and took the dog inside. After years of deafness he can finally hear the dog!

On a similar note, when I moved into this rural neighborhood, numerous dogs would attack me and my leashed dog right in the street with no intervention from the owners. I decided to carry a 1 1/2 inch diameter oak shovel handle with me and amazingly, the same deaf owners suddenly became aware of the situation and scrambled out to grab their dogs. Even better, I learned that dogs know what a stick is and what it can do and they kept their distance without a word from me.

Moral of the story, some dog owners are deaf, but it is curable.

I'm with you on this.
I walk my dogs leashed around my property as well in some great state and regional parks, where there are clearly marked signs stating "all dogs must be on leash at all times". But every time I'm at a part here comes a large off leash dog at least 50 feet in front of the idiot owner.
I don't care if people think their dogs are "friendly", no one knows what might trigger a dog to become aggressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-21-2015, 11:12 AM   #648

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
I'm with you on this.
I walk my dogs leashed around my property as well in some great state and regional parks, where there are clearly marked signs stating "all dogs must be on leash at all times". But every time I'm at a part here comes a large off leash dog at least 50 feet in front of the idiot owner.
I don't care if people think their dogs are "friendly", no one knows what might trigger a dog to become aggressive.

These people are the only people I actually advocate the Police shooting in the back.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #649
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Do they have a bike path parallel to the road? Here there is often one and still they insist on riding the bikes in the street, like they are indestructible or something . Maybe I should drive my car up on the bike path.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:24 PM   #650

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
These people are the only people I actually advocate the Police shooting in the back.

Hahah good one!
And have you noticed it's usually aggressive breeds with aggressive owners who aggressively defend their off leash dog?

Old 04-21-2015, 12:43 PM   #651
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'm with you on this.

I'm also with you on this....I've can quickly think of 4 people (1 adult, 3 kids) who were bitten by "good dogs" that had "never bit anyone before". And no, the kids had not provoked them..... Two were serious enough to require surgery and still left scars. I've had dogs all my life and love them - but some people are incredibly irresponsible.

I also get annoyed with all the dog owners who go to dog parks, rest areas, picnic areas, etc and allow their dog to "do their business" and then just walk away. Because the rest of us want to eat our lunch sitting next to dog crap or have to hop, skip, and jump around the 20+ piles that people have left behind. We travel a lot and I have seen this everywhere. I swear DH spends more time cleaning up after other dogs when we go to a dog park than he does playing with our pup.....
Old 04-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #652
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm with you on this.
I also carry Halt with me when I walk the dog. It stops aggressive dogs quickly without hurting them. The owners get mad, though. I have another can of pepper spray formulated for humans.

ARI - Safety Products for the Utility Industry
Old 04-21-2015, 01:58 PM   #653

Quote:
I also carry Halt with me when I walk the dog. It stops aggressive dogs quickly without hurting them. The owners get mad, though. I have another can of pepper spray formulated for humans.

ARI - Safety Products for the Utility Industry

Does this work? I think I will order some. I worry about attacks constantly.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:17 PM   #654
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
The courteous thing to do would be for the biker to pull off the road but legally they have the same rights as any other vehicle. Legally the car going in the same direction as the bike needs to slow down until it's safe to pass. I've seen many people who have a complete disregard of the bicyclists rights to use the road. Ideally there's a separate bike lane, but if not, it's their road too.

Twenty something years ago I was bicyclist in this scenario. The passenger side mirror of the car traveling in the same direction clipped my handle bar sending me flying...haven't ridden a bike since.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:30 PM   #655

Charge checks. Never used one. Never will. But over the decades I must have been sent thousands.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:34 PM   #656
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Does this work? I think I will order some. I worry about attacks constantly. ............
Yes, it works. It shoots a yellow stream about 6 to 8 feet. The dogs don't yelp but instantly turn tail and go home. When they get there, they wipe their faces with their paws, which is when the owners come after you asking, "what did you do to my baby?"
Old 04-21-2015, 05:38 PM   #657

Quote:
Yes, it works. It shoots a yellow stream about 6 to 8 feet. The dogs don't yelp but instantly turn tail and go home. When they get there, they wipe their faces with their paws, which is when the owners come after you asking, "what did you do to my baby?"
I never heard of it but just looked it up on Amazon. Thanks. I usually carry a regular human pepper spray canister but I really don't know how it affects dogs. I am afraid if I spray somebody's dog he will "feel threatened" and "Stand his ground" and draw on me. So, I'd like to repel the dog without a lot of "comosh'" or I'll have to shoot the owner
Old 04-21-2015, 06:05 PM   #658
Moderator Emeritus

I used Halt for years when I was a long distance runner. Great stuff! I wouldn't leave home without it!
Old 04-21-2015, 06:51 PM   #659

Pet Peeve of the day...I need to purchase a chainsaw and weed string trimmer. I have recently seen a lot of TV ads for Stihl Dealer Days and have seen the Stihl website....Checked with local Stihl dealer and am advised no chainsaws are string trimmers are included in the Stihl Dealer Days promotion.

That is strange since quoting from the website..."Your local STIHL Dealer has great prices on the most essential outdoor equipment, like chainsaws, trimmers, blowers, multi-tasking tools and more! Reserve products online with STIHL Express and they’ll be ready for you to pick up – assembled, fueled and ready to run. Enter your zip code to find a Dealer near you."

I contacted two different local Stihl dealers and both said the trimmers and chainsaws are NOT discounted during this years Stihl Dealer Days.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:50 AM   #660
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
My peeve is too many topics that assume everyone is in the US. Maybe we should have a special category for US discussions like Medicare, LTC, shopping online...

And then general categories that affect worldwide retirees equally.