Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 04:53 PM   #1001
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
There's a difference between a US born Texan having a "southern drawl" and a foreign born person speaking English as a second language. The latter is Far more difficult to understand.
FWIW, while I was born in another country, I have spoken English all my life.

The person who made the remark yesterday had an easily identifiable Alberta accent.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2015, 05:30 PM   #1002
Moderator Emeritus

I have a friend who was born and raised in Texarkana (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texarkana,_Texas). I can only understand about every third word he speaks. He also speaks fast. I am a native New Englander and have lived in Texas for 22 years.

Very different speak, those boys from Texarkana.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:27 PM   #1003
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I have a friend who was born and raised in Texarkana (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texarkana,_Texas). I can only understand about every third word he speaks. He also speaks fast. I am a native New Englander and have lived in Texas for 22 years.

Very different speak, those boys from Texarkana.
Texarkana, that's about half Texan.

What I find surprising in this area of the country, is that you can drive less than 3 hours east of Houston and find yourself in "deep" southern Louisiana. There are still a lot of French speaking (aka - Cajun French) people living there. Most (but not all) do speak English "these days" but they do have a very distinctive accent and manner of speaking.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:32 PM   #1004
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My biggest peeve is the 4 families that are no more than 800' from the school bus stop that drive to the stop and wait 15 minutes until the bus gets there, so they can let their kid out. I live in a cul de sac and then have to watch the moms drive up the next street, turn around, then drive back home.

We're doomed.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:12 AM   #1005
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
My biggest peeve is the 4 families that are no more than 800' from the school bus stop that drive to the stop and wait 15 minutes until the bus gets there, so they can let their kid out. I live in a cul de sac and then have to watch the moms drive up the next street, turn around, then drive back home.

We're doomed.
I see the same thing here in my sleepy little suburb. My neighbor raised up two daughters who are now about 14 and 16 and I have never seen them walk down the street (from birth to now). He has a nice 2 acre property, but the kids won't go into the woods because they are "scary".
Old 10-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #1006
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post

We're doomed.
We really are doomed. What, the special snowflakes cannot walk? They are going to be abducted?
Old 10-22-2015, 10:59 AM   #1007
Give me a forum ...

Having w*rked around folks from all over, there are some who speak English better than many/most "Americans". However, some, even though they are speaking "English", have such a thick accent that they sound like they're speaking with a mouthful of marbles...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 10-22-2015, 11:02 AM   #1008
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Conspiracy theorists in general are my pet peeve; arguing with them does no good. Lack of evidence to support their pet theory becomes further evidence of the conspiracy.
It's not so much any individual "theorist" that's bothers me, it's the fact that there are so many of them...

Really, people think sticking an ice cube up the wazoo will cure cancer, but won't believe we actually landed on the moon...*

*Only a slight exaggeration...

...not doing anything of true substance...
What is your pet peeve of the day?
Old 10-22-2015, 12:04 PM   #1009
Give me a forum ...

What is your pet peeve of the day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Well, DD also has my attitude... in spades and perhaps to a fault. She is very diligent but is frustrated with the other idiots that she has to work with. She'll be quitting her current job soon and looking for a place with less idiots.

Unfortunately, she cannot defy the first rule of human stupidity:

"Always and inevitably everyone underestimates the number of stupid individuals in circulation"

The Basic Laws of Human Stupidity were first outlined by Carlo M. Cipolla, Professor Emeritus of Economic History at Berkeley, in an essay called The Basic Laws of Human Stupidity.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Speaking of accents, my pet peeve is people who remark "You have an accent!" Of course I have an accent. Everyone does.
Nonsense!
I grew up in Brooklyn, NY. Everyone else has an accent.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:33 PM   #1011
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Nonsense!
I grew up in Brooklyn, NY. Everyone else has an accent.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:40 PM   #1012
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
It's not so much any individual "theorist" that's bothers me, it's the fact that there are so many of them...

Really, people think sticking an ice cube up the wazoo will cure cancer,
It won't?

Quote:
but won't believe we actually landed on the moon...*

*Only a slight exaggeration...
Did we?
Old 10-22-2015, 03:48 PM   #1013
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm not real big into conspiracy theories. Most seem to be pretty far out to me. However, at the risk of starting a firestorm/debate, I don't think the government has told us everything they know about the Kennedy assassination. Seriously !
Old 10-22-2015, 05:00 PM   #1014
Full time employment: Posting here.

Pre-game sports commentary discussions in front of drunk, obnoxious, and loud fans where you can't hear what is being said.

Granted, the commentary may or may not be cogent and worth watching, but sometimes it is - which only strengthens my wish to have a secret 'shock button' to silence the dolts screeching and screaming, waving their arms and making dumb faces in the background.

That would be immensely satisfying.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:26 PM   #1015
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of mine is gym goers who use the squat rack to do standing curls, apparently because they don't want bend over to pick up the bar off the floor.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:28 PM   #1016
Give me a forum ...

Yahoo videos with a long (30 second) commercial that doesn't provide a "skip ad" button. I just skip the video.

But knowing this group I had to wait for the ad to see this one.

The Science Behind Why We’re So Obsessed With Bacon

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 10-24-2015, 03:47 PM   #1017
Give me a forum ...

My pet peeve is when I go for a walk and I come to a car that is illegally parked over the sidewalk. I can't imagine what people are thinking when they do something like that. I think i'll start calling the police when I encounter this.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:07 PM   #1018
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
My pet peeve is when I go for a walk and I come to a car that is illegally parked over the sidewalk. I can't imagine what people are thinking when they do something like that. I think i'll start calling the police when I encounter this.

We have a second home in Florida in a development that doesn't allow parking in the street, so people park in their driveways because their garages are full of crap. Those that have more than two cars are always blocking the sidewalks, against association rules. Many of them are deputy sheriffs....what can you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Products Without Model Names or Numbers
Old 10-24-2015, 04:26 PM   #1019
Give me a forum ...

Products Without Model Names or Numbers

We have two Sonicare toothbrushes. One has no model number or name at all, even looking on the bottom with magnifying glass.

The other has a model number on the bottom that can only be read with a magnifying glass.

The brush heads are subtly (and unnecessarily) different. One brush head type will fit both, the other will fit only one.

I gave a curmudgeonly call to support.

"What type do I buy?"
"Are they push on heads?"
"Yes."
"You can buy any push-on type."
"But one type only fits one of the bases."
"Oh, what model is that?"
"Beats me. It doesn't say anywhere at all."
"Could I make a suggestion? Could you print the name or number of the model on each base and brush head?"

Not making this up:
"You can make that suggestion, but it won't get to the people who manufacture the toothbrushes."
"You can't pass that on?"
"No. I don't have any way to contact them."
Old 10-24-2015, 04:51 PM   #1020
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
We have a second home in Florida in a development that doesn't allow parking in the street, so people park in their driveways because their garages are full of crap. Those that have more than two cars are always blocking the sidewalks, against association rules. Many of them are deputy sheriffs....what can you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
If the police choose to protect their friends instead of doing their job then it's up to you if you want to just let it go or give the owner of the car a reason to stop blocking the sidewalk.
Closed Thread