Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 02:42 PM   #1121
Dryer sheet aficionado

Driving across town, stop at red light. Light turns green, nobody moves. Why? The person at the front of the line is texting.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2015, 02:42 PM   #1122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Not to be on the grouchy old man side, but some of my sisters do complain about the younger generations... not the kids per se, but the ones working... as one said 'they do not strive for excellence'.... IOW, they just want to do the minimum required...

My sister who was a teacher said she heard a number of times from young teachers 'I do not know why they did not learn it, I taught it'.... well, if they did not learn it you did NOT teach it.... you were just up there talking...

No, it is not everybody.... but the percent that is slacking is growing...

This has been going on forever....Even when the pilgrims came over they were complaining about the lazy able bodied youth back then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2015, 03:04 PM   #1123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
This has been going on forever....Even when the pilgrims came over they were complaining about the lazy able bodied youth back then.
Not sure where I read it but I understand the same complaint was lodged by the ancient Egyptians.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:05 PM   #1124

Quote:
Too true.
One version, attributed to Socrates:
Quote:
The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:18 PM   #1125
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Exactly. And it's a new pet peeve for me. I don't choose to participate in bashing the youngsters and I think it's a shame that it seems to be a favorite activity of some of my acquaintances.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:30 PM   #1126
Give me a forum ...

My pet peeve: Lazy kids and parents who coddle them.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:00 PM   #1127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkisALot View Post
The use of the word "your" for "you are" or the contraction "you're."
"Your" is possessive like in "your house." "You're" is a contraction for "you are happy" (or whatever).
Also, they're, their, and there.

Many people who do not make the above mistakes still confuse its and it's, and I find this really perplexing. Many are good writers otherwise, such as some bloggers that I like to read. Why?

The difference between it's and its was taught first thing to me as a non-native English speaker at the age of 12, long before I learned about dangling participles. They are but 3-letter words, and not that hard to remember and distinguish.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-27-2015, 07:17 PM   #1128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Too true.

One version, attributed to Socrates:

Well we are back a few millennia's now. I bet if we dug deeper, we may be able to trace this close to Adam and Eve complaining about lazy, idle, disrespectful youth.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:46 PM   #1129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Many people who do not make the above mistakes still confuse its and it's, and I find this really perplexing. Many are good writers otherwise, such as some bloggers that I like to read. Why?
I think it is because it would be normal that the possessive form of personal pronouns would have an apostrophe (just like the noun it replaces). Why not?
"The whale's back glowed in the moonlight"
"It's back glowed in the moonlight."

Indefinite pronouns get an apostrophe when they are possessive (Everbody's home is their castle). Why not personal pronouns?I don't think it is as confusing with other personal pronouns because they just "look wrong" with an " 's (his's, her's, etc). But since "it's " is a legitimate construction and people see it all time, it is less likely to look out of place.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:52 PM   #1130
Give me a forum ...

It looks so wrong to me when they write "the dog wags it's tail".

In my mind, I see "the dog wags it is tail" because that's how I was taught, and it irks me the same as fingernails scratching on a blackboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
...people see it all time, it is less likely to look out of place.
Yes, particularly when they see more and more writers committing the same mistake. It becomes de facto. Argh!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-27-2015, 08:03 PM   #1131
Give me a forum ...

I learned to read and write English long before I had anybody to converse with. I think that must be the reason grammatical errors and mispellings, particularly my own when I later spot them, bother the hell out of me.

To a native speaker, he may think that if two words are pronounced the same, their different spellings are just superfluous.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:41 AM   #1132

Had another "incompetent phone rep" episode with a health insurance co. She was disagreeing that I had coverage for biannual routine eye exam. I had the 2015 booklet in front of me and I was telling her what page I was on, and that it clearly stated x,y,z. She kept saying I didn't have coverage. I called back the next day, got someone else who said I did have coverage.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:22 AM   #1133

Lots of driving this holiday and lots of people that shouldn't be driving. The people that won't pass in the passing lane, the people that are weaving...wonder if it's drunk drivers or cell phone drivers, the people that creep up to a traffic light, the people that stop and leave several car lengths between the car in front of them at the traffic light and then slowly creep up while the lights red, the timid driver that can't merge into traffic, no turn signal. I'm looking forward to the self driving cars for other people!
Driving a truck you can see into the smaller cars that are in the passing lane. Can't tell you the number of people that think they can text/talk and drive.
I was with someone that I think is an exceptional driver. All of a sudden they were starting to drift out of their lane. I asked what had happened. They said one of those electronic bill boards caught their eye. They had started to read it....it was something about distracted drivers cause accidents!
Old 11-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #1134
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I'm looking forward to the self driving cars for other people!
Now that is the best use of self-driving cars I have heard so far!
Old 11-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #1135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I learned to read and write English long before I had anybody to converse with. I think that must be the reason grammatical errors and mispellings, particularly my own when I later spot them, bother the hell out of me.

To a native speaker, he may think that if two words are pronounced the same, their different spellings are just superfluous.
Try this test. It's another simple one....

Words that are spelled differently but sound the same | Learn English
Old 11-28-2015, 10:50 AM   #1136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
That test is clearly too easy. I got 100%. I never get 100% on a test.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:01 PM   #1137
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
It looks so wrong to me when they write "the dog wags it's tail".

In my mind, I see "the dog wags it is tail" because that's how I was taught, and it irks me the same as fingernails scratching on a blackboard.
DW and I chuckle at this sign in our neighborhood. I picture a horror movie someday on the subject of possessive flora overpowering unsuspecting homeowners.

My grammar peeve is "loose" being used in place of "lose." I never saw that until just a few years ago. At first I thought it perhaps a regional usage, but it seems to have become prevalent around the country.
Attached Images
File Type: png possesive flora.png (564.3 KB, 18 views)
Old 11-28-2015, 12:09 PM   #1138
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
I never saw that until just a few years ago. At first I thought it perhaps a regional usage, but it seems to have become prevalent around the country.
An observation along the same lines, I've seen cloths used for the term clothes many, many times over the past few years. Makes me crasy.

Almost as bad as using the term tread when referencing a thread on the forum.

And than there is the is the incorrect use of the term then...
Old 11-28-2015, 12:35 PM   #1139

Also the use of quotation marks to emphasize a word on a sign, usually implying something like the opposite meaning to those with better English.

"Original" art for sale

"Homemade" pies

etc.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:56 PM   #1140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Grade school students should pass this with a 100% score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
An observation along the same lines, I've seen cloths used for the term clothes many, many times over the past few years. Makes me crasy.

Almost as bad as using the term tread when referencing a thread on the forum.

And than there is the is the incorrect use of the term then...
A subtle joke...

I have caught myself mixing up then and than occasionally when making a post, and have to hurry up to correct it before too many readers see it. Of course I know the difference, but I fear old age is catching up with me. And yes, I have written tread instead of thread at least once.

Recently, I wrote Ebinizer Scrooge instead of Ebenezer, and when I later saw that it did not look right it was too late to correct. Arghh!

Alzheimer cannot be too far ahead.

Closed Thread