What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
.....One can comply with all the aspects of the law and still shut the switch off while at a light. It was how I was taught in school...
Never heard of this. What state did you get your drivers license?

I'm curious too. Not only have I never heard of this (in IL), but I do want to know whether the person in front of me intends to turn. It's always good to anticipate moves.

-ERD50

Today's pet peeve is gifts that you receive that you can't even regift.

Things like a sweatshirt, mug, calendar or other such thing emblazoned with a family photo--or photos of their kids or dog or house. This gift comes after the Christmas card emblazoned with a similar photo and lacking any greeting or signature.

Why do people think that pictures of themselves are appropriate gifts? Selfie generation I guess.

My pet peeve is sitting behind a car while SITTING at stoplight with the light flashing. One can comply with all the aspects of the law and still shut the switch off while at a light. It was how I was taught in school....

Then you were taught wrong. You are supposed to turn on your directional within a certain distance of the turn (varies by state) and leave it on until you complete the turn.

Before making any turn, whether onto another roadway, a parking lot, another traffic lane, or leaving a parked position, it is important that you signal. Your signal lets other drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians know your intentions. You must give a proper turn signal at least 100 ft (200 ft in some states, e.g.,Indiana) before turning or changing lanes. Consult your state's Drivers handbook for details. ..

In many places, it's also illegal to back out onto a main road (you're expected to drive straight out, forward). So be careful about calling the cops - it could backfire.

I'm not sure if that's the case here ?

But it seems somewhat asinine if it is, because when people are parked on either side of my driveway, it would make no difference whether I was backing out, or going out forward, I can't see anything in either direction.

Thanks for your input

Have you been checked for cataracts recently? What you describe sure sounds like one of the symptoms. I'm painfully aware of how irritating bright lights can be for those of us with that particular eye problem.

I switched from a regular car, to an SUV because of the very things you described.

My "pet peeve" isn't necessarily financial, but when I buy a CHRISTMAS present at a store who wants my hard earned $$S at this time of year, and when they wish me a "Happy Holiday" when it's beyond obvious I am buying a CHRISTMAS present..

Well, that just frosts my shorts - in a big way. To the point I stop shopping at that store.

Not too smart to tweak off the 90+% of people who still celebrate CHRISTMAS. But, if they want to be stupid enough to do that, there are plenty of other stores to spend money with.

It's called political correctness, and it's ravaging our nation.
I try to do the same thing as you during the holidays.

Thanks for posting, now I know I'm not the only one who feels that way :dance:

Because they're scammers, of course.

I'm talking about the people who are outright lying, and trying to commit actual fraud against you/me.

"Sir, I'm calling from Windows Support, your computer is reporting a virus, we need you to follow these steps immediately." (Doing so will install ransomware on your computer and lock you out of your files until you pay up)

"Sir, I'm calling from the CRA/IRS, you owe some money and if you don't pay up today, a warrant will be issued for your arrest." (They demand immediate payment in the form of a wire transfer or VISA gift card - isn't that how the IRS collects?)

These are not mere salespeople in a boiler room somewhere trying to make a living. They are worthless, scumbag criminals, trying to rip me off, and they deserve to be treated like the garbage they are, since they cannot be held accountable for the criminal offense they are actually committing.

Way to tell him kombat !!
I'd take it a step further. Find a conservative judge who's willing to sentence a couple of them to death. Then televise it nationally.

That would send a strong message to the worthless bastards.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RetireSoon View Post
My "pet peeve" isn't necessarily financial, but when I buy a CHRISTMAS present at a store who wants my hard earned $$S at this time of year, and when they wish me a "Happy Holiday" when it's beyond obvious I am buying a CHRISTMAS present..

Well, that just frosts my shorts - in a big way. To the point I stop shopping at that store.

Not too smart to tweak off the 90+% of people who still celebrate CHRISTMAS. But, if they want to be stupid enough to do that, there are plenty of other stores to spend money with.

If you don't like it, complain to the manager. That would likely be 1,000,000 x more effective than not shopping there (would they actually notice, and if they did, would they connect the dots?). The checkout person is likely just following rules, and management is just playing it safe with those rules, to not offend anyone. Though I don't really understand why anyone would be offended.

DW's previous boss is Jewish, and I think he had the right attitude - if someone wished him "Merry Christmas", he knew they had the best of intentions, so just accept it in the spirit it was given and roll with it. What's the big deal? Would anyone actually do this with the intention of offending? That's a stretch.

In light of all this PC, I was actually a little surprised at how many times I was wished "Merry Christmas" by cashiers, and sometimes I don't think I had obvious Christmas stuff in my basket. And then, I'm wondering, how do I know if that the cashier is Christian? Maybe I should just say 'Happy Holidays' back?

-ERD50

Last edited:
Then you were taught wrong. You are supposed to turn on your directional within a certain distance of the turn (varies by state) and leave it on until you complete the turn.

My first DL was in PA, 2nd in WY, 3rd in WV, my present DL is back in PA and have rented cars all over this nation. Had a speeding ticket in 79, and not another since.

My signal is on before the intersection, during, and after the turn. I just don't have it on if stopped at a light. It is promptly turned back on before I move.
The car has never left it's place in the turn lane, so I'm sure everybody knows my intentions.

My first DL was in PA, 2nd in WY, 3rd in WV, my present DL is back in PA and have rented cars all over this nation. Had a speeding ticket in 79, and not another since.

My signal is on before the intersection, during, and after the turn. I just don't have it on if stopped at a light. It is promptly turned back on before I move.
The car has never left it's place in the turn lane, so I'm sure everybody knows my intentions.

Your signal hurts people's eyes while you are waiting for a red light in a dedicated turn lane so you turn it off only then? Does anyone else do this?

Last edited:
Your signal hurts people's eyes while you are waiting for a red light in a dedicated turn lane so you turn it off only then? Does anyone else do this?

I've done that. I do it because the blinker drives me batty. If there's music or a lot of traffic I won't but if quite definitely. Never noticed others blinkers, now I'll have a new obsession.:D

Winemaker, Wonder if it was the idea of the person that taught you because it's not a requirement in Pennsylvania.

Note to DW. If I ever get creamed on my bike by a motorist making a turn, tell the lawyer to grill them about use of turn signals - with vigor. It may be possible while scanning the intersection on my approach I didn't see any signal, because the other driver just assumed everybody knew their intentions.

Don't know; had 2 teachers, DF and drivers ed in high school.

DF was a mechanic, perhaps that was his reasoning, but I wouldn't know my drivers ed teacher reason unless he wanted it off to make a point at a stop light.

DF had a peeve of his own over hazard flashers; he felt that if you were broke down, off the road, and NOT a hazard, they shouldn't be left on. It was harder to diagnose the problem with a dead battery, and was a creating a hazard to get another vehicle turned around in front to jump it.

Didn't it so much bother me until those amber/yellow lights or the cascading red lights came out. Like I said earlier, I wouldn't last long under interrogation.

And Thesus, am I worse than the guy with his signal on, and doesn't turn? I signal when I turning, and don't signal when I don't turn.

I guess I'm just a light sensitive driver.

Last edited:

is happy holidays really that terrible ? It seems fine to me . I don't think they're really trying to challenge your observance of Christmas in this situation

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

And Thesus, am I worse than the guy with his signal on, and doesn't turn? ...

Well, since this is a pet-peeve thread, one of my pet peeves is when someone changes the subject when challenged.

Whether turning off a signal at a light is right or wrong has absolutely nothing to do with whether some other action is right/wrong/better/worse.

Changing the subject is a sure sign that you have nothing to stand on.

-ERD50

is happy holidays really that terrible ? It seems fine to me . I don't think they're really trying to challenge your observance of Christmas in this situation ....

The name of the federal national holiday observed on December 25 each year is Christmas Day so that's what I'm calling it.

Happy Holidays never used to bother me, but the increasing political correctness of society does, so I'm not going along with it.

Merry Christmas!!! :LOL:

The name of the federal national holiday observed on December 25 each year is Christmas Day so that's what I'm calling it. ...

Merry Christmas!!! :LOL:

You are correct!

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/snow-dismissal-procedures/federal-holidays/#url=2015

And every February, I have to tell people that there is no such thing as 'President's Day'. It is still Washington's Birthday ('observed' - since they switched it to Mondays).

Maybe it's an Illinois thing, since Lincoln's birthday is in February, people think the move of Washington's birthday to the Monday was combined with Lincoln's birthday. But no.

And while I'm at it (though I'm sure it's been covered), it's a "water heater", not a "hot water heater".

-ERD50

Well, since this is a pet-peeve thread, one of my pet peeves is when someone changes the subject when challenged.

Whether turning off a signal at a light is right or wrong has absolutely nothing to do with whether some other action is right/wrong/better/worse.

Changing the subject is a sure sign that you have nothing to stand on.

-ERD50

This is a thread about personal pet peeves, and I see you have one that others may or may not agree with, just like me.

I have not killed anybody, hit anybody, condoned or prevented anyone from using their turn signal, been ticketed for my use of a turn signal, run over a cyclist or had any vehicular accident in 40 years of operating a motor vehicle.

I am not looking for vindication of any kind, however, one other person on this thread, does the same as I. Perhaps you are the person that keeps pulling in front of me, leaves his turn signal on, and irritates me while stopped at a traffic light. Congratulations, I'm glad you can afford so many cars.:D

We can agree to disagree, I'm done with the matter.

is happy holidays really that terrible ? It seems fine to me . I don't think they're really trying to challenge your observance of Christmas in this situation

What confuses me is that "Happy Holidays" has been around for a long time, and it's only in the last 10-15 years that people decided it is a PC replacement for "Merry Christmas." Yes, it means "Happy whatever you celebrate." But it also means "Happy all the upcoming holidays." I use it beginning a week or so before Thanksgiving to mean everything through the new year. Saying "Happy Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year" seems clunky and unnecessary when I can just say "Happy Holidays."

....We can agree to disagree...

Fine.... you and that one other person are in the minority on the issue and there is nothing in the law that supports your view.... but we can all have opinions and I respect your right to have yours.

That said, since the amber directionals bother you so much talk about it with your doc at your next eye exam and see what s/he says.

What confuses me is that "Happy Holidays" has been around for a long time, and it's only in the last 10-15 years that people decided it is a PC replacement for "Merry Christmas." Yes, it means "Happy whatever you celebrate." But it also means "Happy all the upcoming holidays." I use it beginning a week or so before Thanksgiving to mean everything through the new year. Saying "Happy Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year" seems clunky and unnecessary when I can just say "Happy Holidays."

Ditto--"Happy Holidays" for me was always shorthand for "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year". I don't mind if it covers a few more holidays in these modern times. If I want to call out a particular holiday, I just do. So Merry Christmas Eve, everyone!

We have some inlaws in the family now who celebrate holidays I'd never heard of and who celebrate some more traditional holidays a little differently, and it's been a lot of fun.

Turn signals.....my DH believes they are similar to salt, and uses them sparingly. Which is why I never know if he is going to drive right by a turn or highway exit while he's busy talking. (See spousal annoyances thread for context.)

Oh look....I can use my DH's driving in both threads! Lucky me!

Reading about the pet peeves of others is entertaining and strangely reassuring. Let's hope it continues along the same good natured path that characterized the first thousand posts.

Wishing everyone Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, and a rant-free New Year with interesting peeves. :)

I think peeves are like most other pets; they need to be fed, watered, and exercised regularly.

And due to the El Niño climate this year, I can only add

Mele Kalikimaka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom