Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 09:51 PM   #1381
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Dishes, glasses, silverware, pans are washed and put onto a draining device to dry. Once they are dry, somebody washes a big pot and puts the dripping pot on top of all the dry stuff.
Ruh-Roh. Somebody is in trouble at the Chuckanut house . . . You think you're doing a good deed by washing the big pot, instead you wind up in the dog house.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2016, 08:10 AM   #1382
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Ruh-Roh. Somebody is in trouble at the Chuckanut house . . . You think you're doing a good deed by washing the big pot, instead you wind up in the dog house.
Some days you just can't win
Old 01-09-2016, 08:36 AM   #1383
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
The last time I looked at the numbers, it was something like this: For every seven craft breweries that opened, five others closed. So growth is still steady, but only the best survive. On the bright side, it's far more likely that you'll find lots of good beer available locally. On the down side, average prices will continue to rise. One of the big drivers is simply the cost of hops. Since most craft beers are loaded with hops these days (far more than ever before), that's significant. The price of hops has gone through the roof in the last ten years.
I had a local brew on tap the other day. Expensive, IMO. $6.39 for a 20 ounce glass. Weyerbacher IPA. Dang, it was good, though. A trip down memory lane : about 10 years ago there was a brewpub that made really great complex, heavy, layered, well balanced stuff, just terrific. They sold it for $3.00 a pint in the fancy upstairs bar, but in the downstairs basement dive bar (college kids) you could slum it for $1.00 a pint. O......M........G........ The brewpub still exists, but they don't make that great stuff anymore, just OK IPA's, and they don't have the basement special anymore, and all their beer is now $5.50 a pint and up. And no happy hour. Sigh.........
Old 01-10-2016, 07:11 PM   #1384

Quote:
The last time I looked at the numbers, it was something like this: For every seven craft breweries that opened, five others closed. So growth is still steady, but only the best survive. On the bright side, it's far more likely that you'll find lots of good beer available locally. On the down side, average prices will continue to rise. One of the big drivers is simply the cost of hops. Since most craft beers are loaded with hops these days (far more than ever before), that's significant. The price of hops has gone through the roof in the last ten years.

I'm in the PNW and so far it looks like craft brewers are thriving. I haven't seen any that have closed shop and most of the beers are around $5/pint. It's a good time if you like quality beers.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:17 PM   #1385
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
I'm in the PNW and so far it looks like craft brewers are thriving. I haven't seen any that have closed shop and most of the beers are around $5/pint. It's a good time if you like quality beers.

Craft draft brews run $4-$5 in my area. They have spoiled me so bad, I don't particularly even like bottled or canned beer anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2016, 08:55 PM   #1386
Give me a forum ...

Right now it is DW.... don't get me started
Old 01-10-2016, 09:53 PM   #1387
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This was extremely common at the last place I was employed. Probably three out of five of us wore big headphones when we were at our desks. Some of us actually listened to music once in a while, but mainly it was just to deter the distracting ones who would just walk in and camp out.
I've done that too.

When I developed code, I brought in my shooting ear muffs with Ruger markings, some folks stilled failed to get the message.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:50 PM   #1388
Full time employment: Posting here.

Today it's (well meaning I assume) people who think it would be a good idea to "set me up" with some single guy they know. I end up feeling like a wierdo trying to explain my aversion to the concept. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-12-2016, 07:55 PM   #1389
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
Today it's (well meaning I assume) people who think it would be a good idea to "set me up" with some single guy they know. I end up feeling like a wierdo trying to explain my aversion to the concept. Lol

Hehe, I used to have that problem in the reverse. Then I met who is now DW in the diner I frequented.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:23 PM   #1390

When people come to the door and continue to ring and knock and ring .....

Okay sometimes I don't want to go to the door, maybe I just got out of the shower or something.

But yesterday my mom died. I'm really not feeling well. Someone came to the door, ringing, knocking, then I get a phone call. At the time I was on the phone to my sister so I did not answer. I did not go to the door, although I realize some of you will think it's stupid that I did not. The call was a delivery person telling me he had something and I "had to answer the door".

So now of course I'm not answering, but he kept at it for 15 minutes. Finally left.

The whole point being if I don't want to answer my damn door it's my business, but some people feel they have the right to continue to annoy you until you answer.

Wild Irish Rogue
Old 01-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #1391
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When people come to the door and continue to ring and knock and ring .....

Okay sometimes I don't want to go to the door, maybe I just got out of the shower or something.

But yesterday my mom died. I'm really not feeling well. Someone came to the door, ringing, knocking, then I get a phone call. At the time I was on the phone to my sister so I did not answer. I did not go to the door, although I realize some of you will think it's stupid that I did not. The call was a delivery person telling me he had something and I "had to answer the door".

So now of course I'm not answering, but he kept at it for 15 minutes. Finally left.

The whole point being if I don't want to answer my damn door it's my business, but some people feel they have the right to continue to annoy you until you answer.

Wild Irish Rogue
So sorry to hear this. Sending you virtual hugs.
Of course you don't have to answer the door!
Old 01-16-2016, 01:31 PM   #1392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
So sorry to hear this. Sending you virtual hugs.

Of course you don't have to answer the door!

Thank you. It does not seem real yet.

Wild Irish Rogue
Old 01-16-2016, 01:32 PM   #1393
Gone but not forgotten

Irishgal , So sorry about your Mom . Take care .
Old 01-16-2016, 01:40 PM   #1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Irishgal , So sorry about your Mom . Take care .

Thank you Moemg.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:42 PM   #1395
Moderator Emeritus

So so sorry, Irishgal. Maybe it was a florist with a delivery or a friend wanting to offer condolences, but yes you certainly and always have the right to ignore whoever it was. Take care of yourself.

The flip side and also irritating is when someone leaves a notice of attempted delivery without even trying to make the delivery when we are home in the living room, ten feet from the front door.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:46 PM   #1396

My condolences Irishgal.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:47 PM   #1397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
So so sorry, Irishgal. Maybe it was a florist with a delivery or a friend wanting to offer condolences, but yes you certainly and always have the right to ignore whoever it was. Take care of yourself.

The flip side and also irritating is when someone leaves a notice of attempted delivery without even trying to make the delivery when we are home in the living room, ten feet from the front door.

Yes- it was a florist. I realize I was being stubborn not answering.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:55 PM   #1398
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes- it was a florist. I realize I was being stubborn not answering.
I remember when my mom was very ill, declining an invitation to a dinner party. I was exhausted physically and mentally and I just didn't feel up to socializing. My friend, the hostess, called me repeatedly and basically tried to harass me into going. "It will do you good". I quietly but firmly declined. After that I stopped taking her phone calls. A friendship was lost because she was too insensitive to my needs at that time.

This is a time to grieve the way you want to. Don't let yourself be bullied.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:23 PM   #1399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
My condolences Irishgal.

Thank you.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:24 PM   #1400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I remember when my mom was very ill, declining an invitation to a dinner party. I was exhausted physically and mentally and I just didn't feel up to socializing. My friend, the hostess, called me repeatedly and basically tried to harass me into going. "It will do you good". I quietly but firmly declined. After that I stopped taking her phone calls. A friendship was lost because she was too insensitive to my needs at that time.

This is a time to grieve the way you want to. Don't let yourself be bullied.

Unbelievable! I'm glad you stood your ground.

Closed Thread