What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pet peeve of the day is trying to communicate with folks who only communicate via texting on their phones. All the stop and starts. Too cryptic for me instead of good old email or God forbid, a phone call :blush:.

My pet peeve of the day is trying to communicate with folks who only communicate via texting on their phones. All the stop and starts. Too cryptic for me instead of good old email or God forbid, a phone call :blush:.

Trust me, for some people, a short text is the absolute best way to communicate. Otherwise, you can't get off the phone with them for hours!

We have a relative who is a very nice person, but we all agree, "in small doses". A text is just about right.

-ERD50

Trust me, for some people, a short text is the absolute best way to communicate. Otherwise, you can't get off the phone with them for hours!

We have a relative who is a very nice person, but we all agree, "in small doses". A text is just about right.

-ERD50

Agree about at times a short text is the way to go. But not for all forms of communication. :facepalm:

The annoying new trend in restaurants/bars to downsize your beer if the alcohol content is above 6 percent. You order a pint of the 7 % ABV IPA and they bring you a 10 to 12 ounce snifter. JFC!

Web sites that start a video or something else when you do not want it...

Web sites that change so you can not recognize them anymore...

The first happens a lot, but recently Yahoo Fantasy sports now starts playing a live baseball game when you click on it... REALLY!!! Let me choose if I want to watch something... also, my DW complains about the noise so I have to mute my computer when clicking on this page...

NOW, I see Yahoo has change their finance pages significantly... heck, I cannot find what I am looking for... and when I get to someplace that I want, it is not easy to get back to where I want to be.... hopefully their new owner will fix all the crap that Melissa Meyer has put into Yahoo... I think it has gone downhill big time since she was named CEO...

hopefully their new owner will fix all the crap that Melissa Meyer has put into Yahoo... I think it has gone downhill big time since she was named CEO...
They certainly did everything possible to kill Yahoo Groups. It wasn't great to start with, but they found ways to make the experience even worse and drive off lots of legacy groups that had loyally roosted there for years.

The annoying new trend in restaurants/bars to downsize your beer if the alcohol content is above 6 percent. You order a pint of the 7 % ABV IPA and they bring you a 10 to 12 ounce snifter. JFC!

Actually, I'm OK with that, assuming it is spelled out upfront.

I like to try a few different styles while I'm out, and since I'm usually the one driving home, a full pint of an 7% IPA is just too much.

Some places are offering 4~8 oz glasses now. I like that, I can sample a bunch, and if I don't like one, I dont have to 'waste' a whole pint of it.

OK, I'm headed downstairs to sample 4 oz of my Oak-Bourbon-Vanilla Oat stout. I'm not driving tonight, but 4 oz is about right with all those flavors.

-ERD50

Actually, I'm OK with that, assuming it is spelled out upfront.

I like to try a few different styles while I'm out, and since I'm usually the one driving home, a full pint of an 7% IPA is just too much.

Some places are offering 4~8 oz glasses now. I like that, I can sample a bunch, and if I don't like one, I dont have to 'waste' a whole pint of it.

OK, I'm headed downstairs to sample 4 oz of my Oak-Bourbon-Vanilla Oat stout. I'm not driving tonight, but 4 oz is about right with all those flavors.

-ERD50

4 ounces of Oak-Bourbon-Vanilla Oat Stout sounds pretty good.

I'd be less incensed about the small portions of high alcohol beer if they would decrease the price accordingly, but they don't. The 10 ounce snifter of the *dangerously potent* craft beer costs the same as the 16 ounce pint glass of the *normal* craft beer. Translation: higher profit. Not saying bar owners aren't supposed to be maximizing their profits. I can go to another bar, I get that. Just disappointing to see the new trend. Back in the halcyon days of yore, I used to get some amazing deals on excellent high gravity high alcohol high flavor stout on tap at a local microbrewery all the time, and sometimes you'd find great deals at the random joint you happened to be in, but you just never see any good craft beer on tap deals anymore. Happy hour used to mean half price beer, now it means $1 off a $6 beer. Sad, so sad.... that's my peeve of the day! OK, just to end my peeve on a positive note, I did score a case of high alcohol high gravity high flavor beer at my local distributor for half price recently. At least there's that !!

I'd be less incensed about the small portions of high alcohol beer if they would decrease the price accordingly, but they don't. The 10 ounce snifter of the *dangerously potent* craft beer costs the same as the 16 ounce pint glass of the *normal* craft beer. Translation: higher profit. ...

Well, a high alc % beer does cost more to produce, and it's not just a linear increase either.

A higher grain/water ratio generally results in less efficiency in getting the sugars from the grain. More grain means a smaller batch size for a given sized mash tun. Fermentation takes longer, and the final beer might require a more aging to smooth out.

Though I have no idea how much these production costs factor into the final price at retail or their bar. I can make beer for less than $1 a pint at small scale. Though I'm not including labor (but that would be small at large batch sizes), and no taxes or infrastructure to pay, offset by my higher cost for ingredients. But it still seems a $6 pint would not be based so much on production cost - I don't know. I know some commercial craft brewers, but this seems a little personal to be asking about their profit margins.

... Not saying bar owners aren't supposed to be maximizing their profits. I can go to another bar, I get that. .. but you just never see any good craft beer on tap deals anymore. Happy hour used to mean half price beer, now it means $1 off a $6 beer. Sad, so sad.... that's my peeve of the day! ...

I hear ya. I guess it just comes with craft beer actually getting popular! It's a double edged sword - much better availability and choices, but much higher prices?

-ERD50

Anything over about 7-8% alcohol starts tasting bad to me. I really enjoy BEER flavor (malt, hops, etc.) of a "chunky" porter or the other end of the spectrum with a really hoppy IPA, too.

When the alcohol gets up there, it starts covering up all the good tasting stuff (to me). If I wanted lots of alcohol, I'd just drink whiskey.

Sometimes (not often) they can cover up a high gravity brew with extra good flavor - I had a short-run IPA from Lagunitas (can't remember the name) that was ~11% and it tasted really good.

Seems, though, that mostly ABV has become yet another marketing tool and IMHO is ruining some otherwise good craft brews......

I don't think it costs much more, if any, to make high alcohol beer as opposed to a heavy flavorful stout/porter which has been held back to say, 6%. Just let it ferment out a bit more and you have an 8% stout/porter. Or use a yeast that lets it go to a higher alcohol content. The difference in price would be minimal, I think, especially since most of the cost is so many other things. Transportation, labor, marketing, and on forever. I'm not an expert on this! Just my sense of it, from what I've read. Back in the eighties and nineties I was a fan of Papazian and his Joy of Home Brewing, and spent many happy hours mixing up 5 gallon batches that went into the Cornelius keg. I know you can definitely add a whole lot of ingredients to it. What I liked about it is each batch was unique, some better than commercial, some not, but definitely unique. What a lot of fun that was!

+1 And what makes it worse is that most texts leave no room for inflection; and, of course, there is no facial expression or body language. So then, when your "texter" misinterprets what you say, that can start another whole line of miscommunication/misunderstanding.

IOW, technology doesn't solve everything.

:cool::confused::(

Siblings' kids' responses to well-intentioned gifts.............as in "no response."

We get the wedding invitation, or the grad invitation, or the shower invitation.....not to mention remembering Christmas and birthdays. But when we send the gift, we never find out if they got it. No acknowledgement. No thank you note.

After college graduation, my new policy is "no birthday gifts." Will probably continue with Christmas, since it could be a little embarrassing for some folks (the baby boomer siblings) to get gifts, but not their kids.

Plus, when visiting the nieces and nephews, we sometimes like to treat them to dinner, breakfast or some excursion. Not even a thank you.

When I hint to their parents, asking if the kids received their gifts, they usually say "yes." That's it. In fact, same parents are always amazed when they receive a thank you note from me........usually disbelief: "Oh, Litgal, you are so good at that." Really? The note takes 5 minutes.

Guess I'll just wait to see what the kids face when they enter the professional world.

:confused:

Siblings' kids' responses to well-intentioned gifts.............as in "no response.".......
+1 Not even a text, an email or a call. How hard can it be?

Yup.

When I got married Ma was all over me to get those thank-you's sent out to everyone that gave a gift. That was 33 years ago.

I gave my buddies daughter a nice gift last year. Haven't heard from her yet.

Must be a new thing.

My daughter got married last year. She and her husband sent thank-you notes to all the guests. Included in the notes were photos of the guests with the new couple, as taken by the professional photographers.

A friend of my wife made the comment later that it was so classy. I thought that it was just the thing to do. And they better did. The cash gifts from our relatives were nearly enough to pay for the wedding dinner (you may think we are Italians, who have this custom of large cash gift ;) ).

I have 2 pet peeves. One is a lady who created "sock puppets" of a Romanian girl with a rich father and a fishing boat on a couple of websites, and none of it was true.
Then passed herself off as a flight instructor and pilot, and when I checked the FAA records, she does not exist!
The other is a wizened 78 year old tiny lady from East Boston who is a total know it all, and proves she knows nothing by her statements.
Both of these people detract from the enjoyment of visiting the websites.
But I guess on the Internet you can be whoever you want to be.

but i guess on the internet you can be whoever you want to be.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1469852477.481841.jpg

Yup.

When I got married Ma was all over me to get those thank-you's sent out to everyone that gave a gift. That was 33 years ago.

I gave my buddies daughter a nice gift last year. Haven't heard from her yet.

Must be a new thing.

DNephew got married last November. Last week we received a postcard with a nice picture of them and a preprinted message. Better than nothing... but still not very classy IMO. Good kids but the missed the boat on that one.

Alphabetizing is great. It was first developed in the third millennium BCE.

In 1604 Robert Cawdrey had to explain in Table Alphabeticall, the first monolingual English dictionary, "Nowe if the word, which thou art desirous to finde, begin with (a) then looke in the beginning of this Table, but if with (v) looke towards the end."[7] (Wikipedia).
So, why does Windows have menus like this:

2IC58jO.png

I have to either remember where the different options are or read through them to find what I want.

In those portapotties at outdoor events there is never a FLAT horizontal surface except for the floor, so you can leave your drink outside on the ground, or you can hold it in one hand inside the portapotty. Or, God help you, you can place it on the floor.

Women with their hair pulled up into 3" tall topknots on top of their heads who sit in front of me at the $100 a seat The Book of Mormom musical and block my view. Grrrrr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom