Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Wasting Paper and Ink
Old 09-28-2016, 08:18 AM   #1541
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wasting Paper and Ink

Is there a widget someplace that I can install to make printing more efficient?

It seems like everytime I print something the 1st or last page has one or two lines (like just a header or footer). This is a waste of paper and ink. Sometimes I get a popup that offers an option to condense to a single page, but I think this should be automatic. I guess I am more sensitive since Megacorp is no longer supplying my home office with paper and ink.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2016, 08:24 AM   #1542
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post

It seems like everytime I print something the 1st or last page has one or two lines (like just a header or footer). This is a waste of paper and ink. Sometimes I get a popup that offers an option to condense to a single page, but I think this should be automatic. I guess I am more sensitive since Megacorp is no longer supplying my home office with paper and ink.
Usually, you can use 'print preview', then either adjust the size if that will work, or just print the pages with actual info.

I also have my printer set to 'toner saver' mode. There are several settings for adjusting the saturation of the print. You can usually take it down quite a bit, even a lot, and the print is just fine, just not as deep black, but perfectly readable. Probably wouldn't notice unless you held them side-by side.

Also in the 'pet peeve' category of printing like this - places that email a receipt (especially when you are asked to print it and bring it with you, like a ticket or coupon, or picking up an item that was pre-paid), and the receipt takes up several pages and/or has tons of graphics or black space (using up ink/toner).

They should put the relevant info in simple text on page 1, use a page break, then publish any extraneous stuff they want.

-ERD50
Old 09-28-2016, 01:50 PM   #1543
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post

Is there no setting to prevent "widows and orphans" when you print?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:11 PM   #1544
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My semi-retired husband who doesn't seem to realize I am NOT.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:52 PM   #1545
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
People on bicycles that don't obey road traffic rules or state park rules. Today, I almost got run over by a guy on a bike on a dirt trail that is restricted to foot track only. AND what's wrong with bicyclists that can't let you know they are coming up and passing you on a paved trailed. Sometimes you can't hear them when they are coming up from behind you. When I was coming home from the park a bicyclist drove right through a red light and almost got hit and then started yelling at the car driver.
I am a big cyclist and I agree with you. Many lack courtesy and give the rest of us a bad name. I cringe when I am on my bike stopped at a traffic light and the cyclist next to me blows through it.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:03 PM   #1546

People who drive in the left lane on a multilane highway when not passing other cars.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:15 PM   #1547

Having to flag down the waiter at a restaurant to ask repeatedly to fill my water glass. Then when they do fill it it is mostly ice and about 2 sips of water.
Had lunch out today and when our food was brought my glass was almost empty. Waiter disappeared before I could ask for more water. I just wish they would realize that this does affect their tip.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:30 PM   #1548
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Having to flag down the waiter at a restaurant to ask repeatedly to fill my water glass. Then when they do fill it it is mostly ice and about 2 sips of water.
Had lunch out today and when our food was brought my glass was almost empty. Waiter disappeared before I could ask for more water. I just wish they would realize that this does affect their tip.
Lately I have been asking for water with no ice. I have a medication that I have to take with lunch, and it's much easier to swallow with a glass of water and no ice. Much to my delight and surprise, the water comes out ice cold, like ice water, but I don't have to deal with all that ice. So (probably depending on the restaurant), maybe that would help.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 09-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #1549

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
My semi-retired husband who doesn't seem to realize I am NOT.
Well maybe you SHOULD.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #1550
Give me a forum ...

My pet peeve of the day is crazy drivers.

The latest around here is those driving on a small street who suddenly accelerate dramatically as they approach the stop sign at an intersection with a large street, and then jam on their brakes at the last minute so that they don't pass the stop sign. Naturally others on the larger street are forced into avoidance maneuvers or jam on their brakes.

There is no reason for this other than sheer lunacy. Those doing it jam on their brakes too, so it's just costing them gas. Maybe they think it is funny, but it's not. We noticed as we drove down a medium large street that over half those approaching the intersections were doing this and that we weren't the only ones on the large street who were "faked out".

Another example is those who cut in front of you on the interstate with only an inch or less between cars. Literally. Half an inch.

Drivers ed, anybody? Driving just isn't fun any more.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:16 PM   #1551
Give me a forum ...

I drove all the way up Nipple Mountain Road. There's no nipples up there, now I have to drive back down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1475110626948.jpg (46.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 09-28-2016, 07:25 PM   #1552
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I drove all the way up Nipple Mountain Road. There's no nipples up there, now I have to drive back down.
Boy, I bet you felt like a boob. Keep us abreast of the situation.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:12 PM   #1553
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sadly, have recently concluded that an acquaintance is a pathological liar. I've never heard so many lies come out of the mouth of one adult. He can't even keep track of them, so his web of self-contradictions grows daily.

Unfortunately, I sit on the board of the organization that employs him. Each of us is getting new variations on every story/excuse he tells. Can't figure out if he thinks we are stupid.....or if there is something just flat-out WRONG with him, other than his preference for fiction over fact.

Well, maybe it's good that the whole board gets to see it. Now, what to do about it? Any suggestions?

Old 09-28-2016, 08:43 PM   #1554
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGal View Post
Sadly, have recently concluded that an acquaintance is a pathological liar. I've never heard so many lies come out of the mouth of one adult. .... can't even keep track of them, .... web of self-contradictions grows daily. ....
Is this acquaintance running for high office by any chance?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-28-2016, 08:46 PM   #1555
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sadly, have recently concluded that an acquaintance is a pathological liar. I've never heard so many lies come out of the mouth of one adult. He can't even keep track of them, so his web of self-contradictions grows daily.

Unfortunately, I sit on the board of the organization that employs him. Each of us is getting new variations on every story/excuse he tells. Can't figure out if he thinks we are stupid.....or if there is something just flat-out WRONG with him, other than his preference for fiction over fact.

Well, maybe it's good that the whole board gets to see it. Now, what to do about it? Any suggestions?

Terminate employment.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:55 AM   #1556

Drivers who think they are doing you a favor by waving you into some situation in which you do not have the right of way. Confuses other drivers.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:09 AM   #1557
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

If my memory is correct (often an iffy assumption), then you are retired. If you are, then my suggestion would be to withdraw from that board since it does not sound like it is adding to your retirement peace and serenity.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:52 AM   #1558
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Drivers who think they are doing you a favor by waving you into some situation in which you do not have the right of way. Confuses other drivers.
+1 This drives me crazy, especially where the person stopping to "give permission" blocks the view of other traffic that would be necessary for a safe turn.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:53 PM   #1559
Give me a forum ...

Well I just saw this pet peeve thread. I have some:

People that back into parking spaces. Holds up traffic. And why is it that folks who back in seem to need to take 2-3 runs at the spot before "getting it right"? And then when they leave the spot, since they are not backing up, there are no taillights warning you someone is about to pull out. It seems more dangerous than simply pulling in.

Same vein perhaps, but people who sit at idle in a parking lot, waiting for someone to leave so they can park. I simply park my car at the first space and walk by those folks, who remain there, idling, to save a few steps.

And I do not mean disabled spots...
Old 09-29-2016, 02:04 PM   #1560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
People that back into parking spaces. Holds up traffic. And why is it that folks who back in seem to need to take 2-3 runs at the spot before "getting it right"? And then when they leave the spot, since they are not backing up, there are no taillights warning you someone is about to pull out. It seems more dangerous than simply pulling in.
I am one of those people. The reason is safety.

By backing in, I can "survey" the area better to look for stuff that might damage my vehicle like a board with a nail in it, and small children. Tragically, I've seen the aftermath of that.

When I leave I have a better view of where I'm going and the driver's position in most vehicles is farther forward, so I can see approaching traffic better.

Oh, and I can do this without going forward and backing three times since I'm well-practiced at it.

Most of the time I try for a spot that I can just pull straight out of without any reverse gear at all. DW is very good at this because for a year or so her car didn't have a reverse gear. Well, not one that worked anyway.