Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 02:10 PM   #1561
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I am one of those people. The reason is safety.

By backing in, I can "survey" the area better to look for stuff that might damage my vehicle like a board with a nail in it, and small children. Tragically, I've seen the aftermath of that.

When I leave I have a better view of where I'm going and the driver's position in most vehicles is farther forward, so I can see approaching traffic better.

Oh, and I can do this without going forward and backing three times since I'm well-practiced at it.

Most of the time I try for a spot that I can just pull straight out of without any reverse gear at all. DW is very good at this because for a year or so her car didn't have a reverse gear. Well, not one that worked anyway.
x2
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2016, 02:14 PM   #1562
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I drove all the way up Nipple Mountain Road. There's no nipples up there, now I have to drive back down.

I trust there were at least two...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 09-29-2016, 02:26 PM   #1563
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
People that back into parking spaces.
Parallel parking is the standard way to park, because of the safety concerns that Walt mentioned. It is the only practical way to park when space is tight, as it usually is in Europe. Good parallel parking skills on a hilly street (with manual transmission!) were required to pass my driving test there. Many years later I passed a driving test in the US, but it was on an off-road course with barrels placed so far apart I could have parked a semi between them.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:35 PM   #1564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Parallel parking is the standard way to park, because of the safety concerns that Walt mentioned. It is the only practical way to park when space is tight, as it usually is in Europe. Good parallel parking skills on a hilly street (with manual transmission!) were required to pass my driving test there. Many years later I passed a driving test in the US, but it was on an off-road course with barrels placed so far apart I could have parked a semi between them.
That very much depends on where you live in suburbs most parking is offstreet in lots that surround the stores (as indeed in small towns). In my town the only place where parallel parking exists is the downtown which is small and also has a big parking garage. (Not used much since it used to be associated with a hospital, which moved elsewhere). Many small towns tend to have wide enough streets that angle parking also exists on the streets.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #1565
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
That very much depends on where you live in suburbs most parking is offstreet in lots that surround the stores (as indeed in small towns). In my town the only place where parallel parking exists is the downtown which is small and also has a big parking garage. (Not used much since it used to be associated with a hospital, which moved elsewhere). Many small towns tend to have wide enough streets that angle parking also exists on the streets.
Yes, but Texas is not the same as everywhere else in the world!
Old 09-29-2016, 03:38 PM   #1566
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

By backing in, I can "survey" the area better to look for stuff that might damage my vehicle like a board with a nail in it, and small children. Tragically, I've seen the aftermath of that.

When I leave I have a better view of where I'm going and the driver's position in most vehicles is farther forward, so I can see approaching traffic better.

Oh, and I can do this without going forward and backing three times since I'm well-practiced at it.

Most of the time I try for a spot that I can just pull straight out of without any reverse gear at all. DW is very good at this because for a year or so her car didn't have a reverse gear. Well, not one that worked anyway.
+1

I have limited range of motion from c-spine issues. I can't look over my shoulder or whip my head back and forth as busy parking places require. Or I could attempt to blindly back out with zero vision and see who stops. Nah, I've been rear ended too many times and know how that ends.

Like Walt no multiple attempts, just back in.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:41 PM   #1567
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I trust there were at least two...
Just one, kind of twisted too. Think the folks who named it that had been alone far too long.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:46 PM   #1568

Quote:
+1

I have limited range of motion from c-spine issues. I can't look over my shoulder or whip my head back and forth as busy parking places require. Or I could attempt to blindly back out with zero vision and see who stops. Nah, I've been rear ended too many times and know how that ends.

Like Walt no multiple attempts, just back in.
Note that almost all 2016 cars now have backup cameras standard. Also you can get rear obstacle detection as well. With limited mobility the backup camera might make sense, you can buy aftermarket cameras as well, although at around 1k installed one would have to consider the value of the base car as well. Aftermarket obstacle detection systems are also available.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:59 PM   #1569
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Note that almost all 2016 cars now have backup cameras standard. Also you can get rear obstacle detection as well. With limited mobility the backup camera might make sense, you can buy aftermarket cameras as well, although at around 1k installed one would have to consider the value of the base car as well. Aftermarket obstacle detection systems are also available.
My '14 Sierra has both. Great improvement over the old way. Sometimes I can't see the screen due to sunshine and the version of side detection I have isn't adequate to pull out blindly with someone jackrabbiting besides you at 15 in a parking lot. Might want to consider a camera for our other vehicle.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:36 PM   #1570

My pet peeve happened again today. We went to see an early movie and no one was in the theater when we sat down. The movie was about to begin when two ladies came in. With a really large theater available, they sat directly behind us! Then they kicked our seats, talked, dug through their purses, and generally were distracting. After about 5 minutes, we moved about 8 seats over.

Now why would you come in a theater and do that? We were sitting off center, so it wasn't like we had the best position anyway. People amaze me.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-29-2016, 08:06 PM   #1571
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
My pet peeve happened again today. We went to see an early movie and no one was in the theater when we sat down. The movie was about to begin when two ladies came in. With a really large theater available, they sat directly behind us! Then they kicked our seats, talked, dug through their purses, and generally were distracting. After about 5 minutes, we moved about 8 seats over.

Now why would you come in a theater and do that? We were sitting off center, so it wasn't like we had the best position anyway. People amaze me.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
I think some folks are wired a little(ok a lot) funny. Some kind of behavior they don't even know or recognize in themselves. Curious no doubt. Probably somehow similar in nature to why cows face North.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:41 PM   #1572
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think some folks are wired a little(ok a lot) funny. Some kind of behavior they don't even know or recognize in themselves. Curious no doubt. Probably somehow similar in nature to why cows face North.
I think it's called situational awareness. Some lack it so they don't understand how to act appropriately in a given environment.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:47 PM   #1573
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Is this acquaintance running for high office by any chance?
Well, I had started wondering if he was looking at the candidates as some type of role models.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:54 PM   #1574
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
If my memory is correct (often an iffy assumption), then you are retired. If you are, then my suggestion would be to withdraw from that board since it does not sound like it is adding to your retirement peace and serenity.
Yes, I am. Right now am concerned about the folks left behind who seem to allow themselves to be bullied. Am hoping other members of the board will find the tenacity to join together in holding this person accountable. Will take perseverance to bring in nat'l office for guidance on how to do this legally, properly.

Am not sure how many headaches I should stick around for.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:20 PM   #1575
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Meadh-

Yes, I was not referring to parallel parking, such as is done along a street. I get that that is done by backing in, so as to get into a tighter spot. Most people cannot do it correctly, but that is a different matter.

I was referring to "perpendicular" parking such as is done in most parking lots. And I thought Walt made a nice defense of backing in. But I still maintain it is inefficient for people who are waiting for such "backers" to park, and for whom no brake or back-up lights warn that a car is about to enter the roadway. I find that pulling into the spot is more efficient and more considerate of other drivers.

But other minds may differ!
Old 09-29-2016, 10:34 PM   #1576
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
With a really large theater available, they sat directly behind us!

I'm sure there's some psychological explanation, like anchoring or herding behaviour.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:10 AM   #1577

Quote:
Well I just saw this pet peeve thread. I have some:

People that back into parking spaces. Holds up traffic. And why is it that folks who back in seem to need to take 2-3 runs at the spot before "getting it right"? And then when they leave the spot, since they are not backing up, there are no taillights warning you someone is about to pull out. It seems more dangerous than simply pulling in.
A lot of corporate safety rules demand that you back into parking places. The thinking goes that at quitting time, you want to get the hell out of dodge, so you are in a hurry and are less aware of your surroundings.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:24 AM   #1578
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGal View Post
Sadly, have recently concluded that an acquaintance is a pathological liar. I've never heard so many lies come out of the mouth of one adult. He can't even keep track of them, so his web of self-contradictions grows daily.

Unfortunately, I sit on the board of the organization that employs him. Each of us is getting new variations on every story/excuse he tells. Can't figure out if he thinks we are stupid.....or if there is something just flat-out WRONG with him, other than his preference for fiction over fact.

Well, maybe it's good that the whole board gets to see it. Now, what to do about it? Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Terminate employment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
If my memory is correct (often an iffy assumption), then you are retired. If you are, then my suggestion would be to withdraw from that board since it does not sound like it is adding to your retirement peace and serenity.
Agree on all counts. The one thing that I could not deal with in a subordinate is a liar... when they say something is done or something is so you need to know they are being straight... being occasionally wrong or misunderstandings are fine but intentional mistruths just can't be dealt with. So it is time for the board to let him go and find someone else who is more reliable. If they can't and it continues to bother you, then you can resign from the board. Life it too short to put up with people like that if you have alternatives.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-30-2016, 06:32 AM   #1579
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
A lot of corporate safety rules demand that you back into parking places. The thinking goes that at quitting time, you want to get the hell out of dodge, so you are in a hurry and are less aware of your surroundings.
That reminds me of a story. I used to work for a mid-size mutual insurer. A new board member wryly observed that an unusual number of cars were parked backed in and suggested that was indicative of a workforce that was mostly more interested in getting home than getting to work. (He was right... the place was virtually abandoned after hours.)

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-30-2016, 06:57 AM   #1580
Administrator

Quote:
Well I just saw this pet peeve thread. I have some:

People that back into parking spaces. Holds up traffic. And why is it that folks who back in seem to need to take 2-3 runs at the spot before "getting it right"? And then when they leave the spot, since they are not backing up, there are no taillights warning you someone is about to pull out. It seems more dangerous than simply pulling in.
Quote:

./.

Quote:
Meadh-
I was referring to "perpendicular" parking such as is done in most parking lots. And I thought Walt made a nice defense of backing in. But I still maintain it is inefficient for people who are waiting for such "backers" to park, and for whom no brake or back-up lights warn that a car is about to enter the roadway. I find that pulling into the spot is more efficient and more considerate of other drivers.
Another one here that backs into perpendicular parking spaces, for all the reasons Walt describes.

Montecfo, I can assure you this inconveniences no other drivers, as I rarely back in when another car is behind me. In the few cases another car is there, I signal clearly. If they are so clueless as to not notice what I am doing and start to pull into the same spot I'm already backing into, I just move along and forget it. Parking lots are treacherous places, no need to add to life's frustrations.
Closed Thread