Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 01:04 PM   #1721
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Looking at my auto insurance bill & seeing that I have to pay $28.10 every 6 months, for those irresponsible drivers who choose to drive with inadequate insurance, or none at all

I know there's always been a charge for this, it just seems like in the past, it was a much smaller amount. 3$ or 4$
And on top of that, it appears the fee/charge/tax is progressive.

And even though it's a minuscule amount, the .50 'Minnesota auto theft prevention program surcharge' also peeves me off.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2017, 01:33 PM   #1722

Things that you order that come way over packaged, and then dealing with the huge box and all the innards. Packing peanuts that get everywhere and stick to your clothes, your cat, your hands, etc.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:37 PM   #1723
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Unless you have auto pay like some have said, why call at all

It is a paid up contract... if you do not pay it is their responsibility to remove you from their system... you do NOT have to do anything...
It is an auto renew system.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:39 PM   #1724

Speaking of packaging, a peeve is packaging that almost takes needing a Skilsaw to get the product out from behind the plastic.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:47 PM   #1725
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Speaking of packaging, a peeve is packaging that almost takes needing a Skilsaw to get the product out from behind the plastic.
Product returned because customer did not have:
- Skill saw
- Exacto knife
- sharp scissors!
Old 01-09-2017, 03:38 PM   #1726
Gone but not forgotten

Pills that are on a card and you have to hack away to get them out .
Old 01-09-2017, 03:54 PM   #1727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Then you drop them and can't find them....
Old 01-09-2017, 10:50 PM   #1728
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Then you drop them and can't find them....

Or they roll around and then down the sink!!!
Old 01-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #1729

We got a 'dusting' of snow yesterday afternoon.
So at 7:00 pm, here comes the snow plow, plowing nothing but the street surface, sparks flying everywhere.

I understand the need to put down salt, especially at intersections & roundabouts. but to literally scour the street surface for no reason whatsoever, is outrageous.

Yes, I have called & complained in the past.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #1730
Give me a forum ...

Uppity writers of articles in news media using ten dollar words.

Example ......use of aposiopesis ........ WTF meaneth that??

Ok , took the trouble to look it up on a web site Lterary Device.net
Definition of Aposiopesis

Aposiopesis is derived from a Greek word that means “becoming silent”. It is a rhetorical device that can be defined as a figure of speech in which the speaker or writer breaks off abruptly and leaves the statement incomplete, as if the speaker is not willing to state what is present in his mind due to being overcome by passion, excitement or fear. In a piece of literature, it means to leave a sentence unfinished so that the reader could determine his own meanings.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:37 PM   #1731
Full time employment: Posting here.

"less" vs. "fewer"
Old 01-12-2017, 05:47 PM   #1732

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
"less" vs. "fewer"

Also in the grammar file, "comprise" vs. "compose".
Old 01-12-2017, 06:10 PM   #1733
Moderator Emeritus

Radio commercials/spots that use sirens, honking horns, and cell phone text alert noises. The first two make me slam on my brakes until I realize they are on the radio, and the second one makes me look at my phone at the next stopping place as only three people ever text me and it could be an emergency. And I never remember what the commercial/spot was for, so the sound effects are not sound effective at all.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:16 PM   #1734
Give me a forum ...

Lack of a mailed paper 1099-INT for accounts with less than $10 in interest. Yes, I know the IRS doesn't require the institutions to generate them, but as far as I know I'm still required to report the interest. Having my shoebox with all the 1099s I've received allows me to quickly enter the numbers. Without a 1099, I have to log on to a web site (that I seldom use--no idea what my password is) and find the document or maybe a December statement. How many other people get tripped up by this (e.g. a credit union account calls the payment a "dividend" on their statements, but it is really interest. That's gotta confuse some people, and result in wasted employee time answering questions.) C'mon--you had my money for a year, paid me almost nothing, would it cost a lot to slip a 1099 in with the (paper) Dec or Jan statement I get? Yes, I still get paper statements--and lack of a mailed 1099 is one reason I still want them. They ain't saving any money in my case by not sending a 1099-INT.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:32 PM   #1735

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Radio commercials/spots that use sirens, honking horns, and cell phone text alert noises. The first two make me slam on my brakes until I realize they are on the radio, and the second one makes me look at my phone at the next stopping place as only three people ever text me and it could be an emergency. And I never remember what the commercial/spot was for, so the sound effects are not sound effective at all.

A major station in Philadelphia used to start the traffic report with the beep-beep of a car horn. I would listen to that station for traffic reports. That car horn was so real I jumped every time. I have not visited Philadelphia often, but I stopped using that station for traffic reports.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:21 AM   #1736

The latest formula for radio commercials irks me. They start a commercial at 10 minutes before the hour. Then at 5 minutes before the hour, they sneak in 1 to 3 minutes of the show you were listening to, then back to about 7 minutes of commercials and news mixed in. I just don't even try to hear that 1 to 3 minutes of the show. I just turn the radio off from 10 minutes before the hour until 5 minutes after, to avoid the whole commercial/news/show cluster*. Used to be easier to avoid commercials and not miss any of the show.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:44 AM   #1737
Give me a forum ...

eBay sellers who list an item they do not stock. Only when it sells, they then source it from their wholesaler taking weeks to ship. Listing says will ship in 4 work days. In my dreams maybe. All of this is against eBay policy of having a listing for an out of stock item. Emails from the seller saying they are not sure why the tracking shows no progress, well, maybe it is because you never shipped it, perhaps. Negative feedback will be left for them. It is my only recourse.
Ok, I feel better now.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:41 AM   #1738
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mediacom, what a lousy cable TV provider. About 3 to 4 times a year we have this same problem, the picture is pixilating and the voice is choppy on all channels. I really dislike calling their customer service number because you have to go thru their automated troubleshooting which normally never fixes the problem. After finally getting a human voice that speaks English as a second language, they finally decide it is necessary to schedule a service call. Lucky me, I only have to wait 7 days for the service call. Based on past experience I will be getting at least 2 robo calls a day for the next 7 days from Mediacom requiring me to confirm that we still need the customer service call. Pi$$ poor customer service.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:50 AM   #1739

Or when you go to a webpage either to research an item or to actually buy something and before you even read the text you get a popup asking you to rate your experience! Well it might have been a good experience before your d##n popup got in my way. Or even worse how about these pop unders? Occasionally I find a few hiding behind my browser.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:25 AM   #1740
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
The latest formula for radio commercials irks me. They start a commercial at 10 minutes before the hour. Then at 5 minutes before the hour, they sneak in 1 to 3 minutes of the show you were listening to, then back to about 7 minutes of commercials and news mixed in. I just don't even try to hear that 1 to 3 minutes of the show. I just turn the radio off from 10 minutes before the hour until 5 minutes after, to avoid the whole commercial/news/show cluster*. Used to be easier to avoid commercials and not miss any of the show.
I suppose there is something to be said for Sirius XM.
Closed Thread