What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When did my going to a restaurant to eat become a potential "problem"?

More and more....... no, wait, EVERY TIME I have been out in the last while -- when I thank a server for refilling water, bringing food, etc., the reply is "No problem."

Was I somehow anticipated to be some sort of an issue with them? I am sorry I was inconveniencing you by patronizing your establishment and leaving you money (tip) ...... what happened to "You're welcome"?

Be happy that they even responded, I've been in restaurants where the crickets are louder than any response to thank you. :)

Murphy's Law....

Yesterday I had a doctor's appointment for follow-up and I ask "Say, while I'm here can I get a flu shot and a pneumonia shot?" Sure thing.

The nurse says the pneumonia shot tends to be the most painful so since I'm right-handed I ask to have that one in the left arm and the flue shot in the right arm. (I forgot to ask why they can't both be in the left arm.)

So... guess which arm is pain-free and which is almost immobile from the pain? Yeah, the right arm with the flu shot....:(

So... guess which arm is pain-free and which is almost immobile from the pain?

Back in the early 1960s they'd give cholera/paratyphoid (and perhaps some other preventatives) in what they called a 'cocktail' shot - before we embarked on our overland trip England-Australia, a buddy & I drove halfway across London to get ours.....on the return trip we each had only one operative arm.

He'd steer, work the pedals, and call out "2nd" or "3rd", and I'd change the gears.

Murphy's Law....

Yesterday I had a doctor's appointment for follow-up and I ask "Say, while I'm here can I get a flu shot and a pneumonia shot?" Sure thing.

The nurse says the pneumonia shot tends to be the most painful so since I'm right-handed I ask to have that one in the left arm and the flue shot in the right arm. (I forgot to ask why they can't both be in the left arm.)

So... guess which arm is pain-free and which is almost immobile from the pain? Yeah, the right arm with the flu shot....:(

My wife got a flu shot in her left arm and it took 4 years for the pain to go
completely away. It just slowly got better. She doesn't get flu shots anymore.

Regarding the Internet, it's "online" not "on line" unless you are from New York and you're standing in line which is "standing on line".:LOL:

I went for bagels yesterday morning as well as for some appetizing goodies. I nearly passed out waiting on line. It was 530 am and the line had to be 30 deep.

I will drink 2-3 glasses of water or tea with a meal. So when at a restaurant why is it so difficult to get your glass refilled? It seems when we get our meal and take 1 bite the waiter/waitress will come by to ask if everything is ok? Sure, with my mouth full of food, then disappear....but why do I have to track them down to get a refill?
Please! when you pass by a table ask the patron if they'd like a refill, even if it's not your table.

Going out to eat with my Father was an adventure. He was at one time a Busboy, Waiter, Captain and Headwaiter at some 5th ave hotels, if he waited for his water glass to be refilled "a problem" was about to happen. He would lecture the Maitre d', owner, manager , or anyone on how a dining room was supposed to be run. Including how to properly serve and remove items. He was a boxer in his younger days, so he didn't yield any ground. If he heard "no problem" he would have given them one. He expected a yes sir, or a yes madam for an answer.

My pet peeve today is internet sites that require people to log in at Facebook before commenting on articles. I refuse to do business with Facebook. When I find that I cannot comment on some articles, I leave those sites.

People bugging me about creating a fa[-]c[/-]zebook account. It a'int never gonna happen.

My wife got a flu shot in her left arm and it took 4 years for the pain to go
completely away. It just slowly got better. She doesn't get flu shots anymore.

Thanks! I have been looking for years for a better excuse to use with DW about not getting a flu shot than the old.... if everyone else gets one as they are supposed to then I shouldn't need one. :D

My wife got a flu shot in her left arm and it took 4 years for the pain to go completely away. It just slowly got better. She doesn't get flu shots anymore.

I'd probably still get the shot. One time I got the flu (in spite of getting the shot) was memorable. Took me out for a week, most of which I spent praying "Please God, why can't I just die and get this over with?"

Suffice it to say I was one very sick puppy.

My pet peeve today is internet sites that require people to log in at Facebook before commenting on articles. I refuse to do business with Facebook. When I find that I cannot comment on some articles, I leave those sites.

+1.

Staying away from Facebook

People bugging me about creating a fa[-]c[/-]zebook account. It a'int never gonna happen.
I agree with you. Some years back, I had an account at facebook. I left because I found it a complete waste of time. Since then, I have heard about facebook manipulating information it permits users to see, and facebook being a political force for statism. I won't help them.:cool:

DW has a Facebook account [-]almost[/-] exclusively to see granddaughter pics....all else is pretty much ignored.

Once the waitperson drops off the bill on your table and then they vanish for 20 minutes. I try to manage to have my credit card ready if I see them coming with the bill, but they scurried off tonight without picking it up. And then went on break, it seems.

Back in the early 1960s they'd give cholera/paratyphoid (and perhaps some other preventatives) in what they called a 'cocktail' shot - before we embarked on our overland trip England-Australia, a buddy & I drove halfway across London to get ours.....on the return trip we each had only one operative arm.

He'd steer, work the pedals, and call out "2nd" or "3rd", and I'd change the gears.

Some folks here will remember going on military deployments to nasty spots in the world and having to get a gammaglobulin shot. Administered in the "hip" (nursespeak for "butt"), it was a lot of highly viscous, cold fluid that felt like a golf ball under your skin. Then you'd finish your deployment processing and get to sit on that sore cheek for 6-12 hours or so on the hard web seats of a military transport plane.

Some folks here will remember going on military deployments to nasty spots in the world and having to get a gammaglobulin shot. Administered in the "hip" (nursespeak for "butt"), it was a lot of highly viscous, cold fluid that felt like a golf ball under your skin. Then you'd finish your deployment processing and get to sit on that sore cheek for 6-12 hours or so on the hard web seats of a military transport plane.

I remember them with some kind of air guns that shot the vaccinations in both arms and then they followed it up with an old fashioned regular needle. I swear they gave us saltpeter pills too, hahahah

Once the waitperson drops off the bill on your table and then they vanish for 20 minutes. I try to manage to have my credit card ready if I see them coming with the bill, but they scurried off tonight without picking it up. And then went on break, it seems.

I have walked out on a server who was unwilling to take my money.... we told her to get the bill... IIRC at least 3 times... we even walked to the front and waved to her so she might get it in gear to get it to us... nope... took somebody's order...

I would not wait around 20 minutes unless there was nothing else to do and I actually wanted to wait and talk... so far only once has it been bad enough for me to leave... but there were a few close...

Yeah, I had to get the gammagobulin shot for a deployment to Thailand. My orders were cancelled the day after I got the shot.

Today's pp is the attention give to people who are offended by a common everyplace item. Geez people grow up! Life ain't fair, get over it and do something productive today. Cotton ain't gonna hurt you. Neither will sugar, banana peels, watermelon, fried chicken, granite, marble, or bronze.
But I'm really offended by the people who pander to these offendees.

Things that bother me: The inappropriate apostrophe | Captain Chair Confessions

I hate the unnecessary apostrophe.

Did we not learn how to use the apostrophe in middle school at least, if not elementary school?

The apostrophe does not denote plurality.

The apostrophe is used for three purposes: to mark the omission of one or more letters, as in a contraction, to mark a possession, and sometimes to mark non-English plural words. (P’s and Q’s.)

Using an apostrophe to form plurals is grossly incorrect.

It’s hard to take someone seriously when they use incorrect punctuation.

“The cat’s whiskers” is appropriate, while “The cat’s whisker’s” is not.

Or another example:
“I can’t come drink beer. I’m hanging out with the girl’s.”
“You are hanging out with the girl’s what?”
“With Lisa, Katie, Jane, and Emily.”

The rules for apostrophes are not hard to find, if anyone cares.

Some folks here will remember going on military deployments to nasty spots in the world and having to get a gammaglobulin shot.

That shot wasn't very pleasant, but I would have taken 3 in place of every stinking Anthrax shot I had to take. Not only to mention all the side effects from the God-forsaken vaccine. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom