Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 01:11 PM   #2781
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Second PPOTD: the new roundabout. Well, not the roundabout (it's great, IMO) but the idiots who are in it. The person in front of me - IN the circle - was stopping at every outlet as they made their way around.
I think I followed that person, but not on a roundabout last week--she stopped at every single intersection whether or not she had the right of way. Plus she maintained her speed at 10 mph below the posted limit.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2017, 01:25 PM   #2782
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Young know-it-all bank tellers.

My peeve is these bank peons who believe what's on a computer screen before what's in their own hands.
I have found over the years any time I encounter customer service people who seem like they are ignorant, lazy azzholes, the real problem is Management. The Boss. Maybe it's just the local supervisor but more often it is "Corporate HQ" business model design stuff. They refuse to train properly or sufficiently and just dump it off on the 8 or 9 dollar an hour person who has no real power and has not been provided enough knowledge to "Make it so!".

Rather than care enough about the customer and properly train the business-customer interface personnel, they just throw them a small bag of dirty tricks to "lose the pain-in-the-ass customer", and just let the clerk types be creative and invent some of their own techniques to make you go away.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:51 PM   #2783

People who refer to themselves in the third person. I always assume they are narcissistic or perhaps a few bricks short of a load.

Koogie would never do that.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:54 PM   #2784
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I think I followed that person, but not on a roundabout last week--she stopped at every single intersection whether or not she had the right of way. Plus she maintained her speed at 10 mph below the posted limit.
Oh - - that was probably me. Right after I blew a 4-way stop and ran right through it.

F patiently points these things out to me, every time.

Eventually I will need to "hang it up" and stop driving.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 10-05-2017, 03:00 PM   #2785
Full time employment: Posting here.

Pay $10 at USPS for their extra special separate fragile handling and the box filled with expensive electronics still arrives banged up.

And every box size for priority if it fits it ships mail has two or three separate dimensions. So you can't just get a box that says large, because there are multiple versions of a large box. And some they keep behind the counter. So if you go into the PO Box portion of the office thinking you can just grab one of the boxes out in their cubbies, nope, you have to come back during business hours.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:29 PM   #2786
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
...........And every box size for priority if it fits it ships mail has two or three separate dimensions. So you can't just get a box that says large, because there are multiple versions of a large box. And some they keep behind the counter. So if you go into the PO Box portion of the office thinking you can just grab one of the boxes out in their cubbies, nope, you have to come back during business hours.
These are available free, shipped to your house. Order a bunch of each size and run the ones you don't need through the fireplace.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:09 PM   #2787

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
Pay $10 at USPS for their extra special separate fragile handling and the box filled with expensive electronics still arrives banged up.

And every box size for priority if it fits it ships mail has two or three separate dimensions. So you can't just get a box that says large, because there are multiple versions of a large box. And some they keep behind the counter. So if you go into the PO Box portion of the office thinking you can just grab one of the boxes out in their cubbies, nope, you have to come back during business hours.
However the information is available online, just look for priority mail box sized and it will sent you to this page:Stamps.com - Free White Papers, Postage Costs, Mailing and Shipping Tipspriority-mail-box-guide.pdf
Which after downloading provides a list of all the sizes of boxes available.
Or alternatively for a bit more money go the the UPS store with your items and ask them to pack and ship via usps (it will cost more but will be properly wrapped)
Old 10-06-2017, 11:42 AM   #2788
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Second PPOTD: the new roundabout. Well, not the roundabout (it's great, IMO) but the idiots who are in it. The person in front of me - IN the circle - was stopping at every outlet as they made their way around.
I went through one today. I was going 180° around and a lady pulls up 180° across from me after I started around and tries to take a 90° left hand turn! She almost clobbered my front end.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:43 PM   #2789

Yeah, we got our first roundabout a couple of years ago. On the first day the newspaper took a photo of a car going the wrong way. How does one even do that?
Old 10-06-2017, 04:56 PM   #2790

Modern roundabouts are great, both for safety and traffic flow.

But people have to be educated in how to use them. Unfortunately that hasn't been done in many jurisdictions, so when folks encounter them for the first time they often don't have a clue.

As they spread throughout the country, that should change but it's going to take a long time.

Also important to distinguish between older traffic circles and modern roundabouts.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:03 PM   #2791
Give me a forum ...

"Roundabout shmoundabout.......straight across the middle...I'm in a hurry already."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 10-06-2017, 06:04 PM   #2792
Moderator Emeritus

Loud soundtracks at the movies--went to see Kingsman: The Golden Circle this afternoon and literally had my fingers in my ears for at least half the movie to protect the hearing I still have. Must remember to keep foam earplugs in my purse at all times....
Old 10-06-2017, 06:20 PM   #2793
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
These are available free, shipped to your house. Order a bunch of each size and run the ones you don't need through the fireplace.
My pet peeve is free boxes from an entity that is broke. Free can't be the right price. Put prepaid postage info on the boxes and sell them for that.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:58 PM   #2794
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Loud soundtracks at the movies--went to see Kingsman: The Golden Circle this afternoon and literally had my fingers in my ears for at least half the movie to protect the hearing I still have. Must remember to keep foam earplugs in my purse at all times....
We stopped going to the movies for this reason. Even if you complain to management, they only turn it down the very slightest amount. I have no great desire to wear earplugs, especially if I am paying for the experience.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 10-06-2017, 08:31 PM   #2795

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We stopped going to the movies for this reason. Even if you complain to management, they only turn it down the very slightest amount. I have no great desire to wear earplugs, especially if I am paying for the experience.
+1!

Add to that the fact many of the patrons seem to think they're sitting on their couches at home and can talk freely throughout the movie, and I'll watch it on my own couch, thank you very much!
Old 10-06-2017, 08:50 PM   #2796
Gone but not forgotten

Roundabouts are kids play .They are now adding diamond pattern intersections here .I avoid them like the plague .
Old 10-06-2017, 09:04 PM   #2797
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Roundabouts are kids play .They are now adding diamond pattern intersections here .I avoid them like the plague .
Oh, those are wicked if you don't understand them. I ran into one in Joplin, MO and it was so confusing. Crazy.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:36 PM   #2798
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
+1!

Add to that the fact many of the patrons seem to think they're sitting on their couches at home and can talk freely throughout the movie, and I'll watch it on my own couch, thank you very much!
Ha! Not at this show—there were only three of us, all solo, widely separated, in the theater (DH was watching ”It” on another screen).
Old 10-20-2017, 12:03 PM   #2799
Give me a forum ...

Just happened to me....

Park in a space and open the door.... look down and what do I see?

Someone poured out the milky coffee!!! Yes, right where I need to put my foot... so you KNOW they just opened their door and dumped the rest of it right there...

Water I am OK with... but anything else
Old 10-20-2017, 12:45 PM   #2800

Agree.

Could be worse, though. I’ve had the same experience but with a dirty disposable diaper.
Closed Thread