Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 03:40 PM   #2981
Administrator

My advise is to ignore posters whom make these grammatical errors. If not, your just going to effect you’re outlook and attitudes for the day. Bad advise all around, and its also going to bother those whom feel the urge to correct other's.

Regarding investment advise, I’d rather have after tax then tax-differed. Fewer taxes have to be payed down the road. Its better to pay those taxes now, anyway. Either way it doesn’t effect myself all that much. Just make sure each investment is in it’s proper account.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2018, 03:48 PM   #2982
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
My advise is to ignore posters whom make these grammatical errors. If not, your just going to effect you’re outlook and attitudes for the day. Bad advise all around, and its also going to bother those whom feel the urge to correct other's.

Regarding investment advise, I’d rather have after tax then tax-differed. Fewer taxes have to be payed down the road. Its better to pay those taxes now, anyway. Either way it doesn’t effect myself all that much. Just make sure each investment is in it’s proper account.
And remember to plan a good withdrawl rate.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:53 PM   #2983

Y'all are just plane mean....
Old 01-31-2018, 04:34 PM   #2984
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
For those who read my note above about giving away a tv, 3 days later and I still have it. At least 5 no shows who gave specific times when they would be here to pick it up but didn't make it. Only one let me know they had changed their mind since the tv wouldn't fit the space they thought it would. Will load it up on the truck tomorrow and take it to the landfill, marked the ad sold as not worth dealing with anymore.

Here in Stepfordville you must recycle. I had to pay Best Buy, the closest authorized location, twenty bucks...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 01-31-2018, 06:38 PM   #2985
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Try calling Habitat for Humanity local store. They would possibly pick it up and resell it in their store.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:11 PM   #2986
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Amazon often uses a larger box than needed. Considering that this is their life-blood, I just can't understand that they are not more efficient in this regard. -ERD50
I recently ordered a case of salsa from Amazon. Done it before and it came in a perfectly fine cardboard case of 12. This time it came in three boxes (from Walmart) - quantities seven, four and one. Each bottle was individually hand-wrapped in either six feet of bubble wrap, or seriously 20 foot long strip of paper. Each box stuffed with tons more paper and bubble wrap. One had a strip of plastic wrapped around the obviously leaky lid with 'wrapped for leak protection' on it. Took me half an hour to unwrap and recycle all that stuff. Made no sense at all - they can't have made much of a profit on that sale.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:32 PM   #2987

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
It's a mute point anyways.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:57 AM   #2988

Mute point, LOL. THat used to drive me nuts when one of my bosses said that. I’ve learned to be amused by it and other eggcorns.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:28 AM   #2989
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Mute point, LOL. THat used to drive me nuts when one of my bosses said that. I’ve learned to be amused by it and other eggcorns.
I always enjoy question marks at the end of statements?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 02-01-2018, 09:22 AM   #2990
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
On another site, (and no, I didn't respond to it), someone stated that they "Work with two people whom chew".. (without the comma 'both of' before whom).......thought I was on the set of the Mrs Bucket TV show.
People who say "I would of done it anyway." When did of replace have?
Old 02-01-2018, 09:31 AM   #2991
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
"Automatic" devices that make life worse. 3 examples:2) "Smart" car door locks: That lock the doors when the car starts moving, won't let me unlock them if the car is in drive, etc. How about if the doors just do what I ask when I hit the switch?
I rented a Renault Duster in Paris. It had a lock button on the dashboard. Pressing it for 5 seconds causes autolock to engage. Pressing for less causes unlock. Never figured out how to lock the doors when leaving the car.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:44 AM   #2992

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
For those who read my note above about giving away a tv, 3 days later and I still have it. At least 5 no shows who gave specific times when they would be here to pick it up but didn't make it. Only one let me know they had changed their mind since the tv wouldn't fit the space they thought it would. Will load it up on the truck tomorrow and take it to the landfill, marked the ad sold as not worth dealing with anymore.
Do you still have it? I can be there pretty soon

Maybe change your ad to $100. Let them negotiate down to $25

If CL on the free tab doesn't work I have had some luck on Freecycle. Also put out on curb once. Gone before I could go inside & post on CL

edit: Forgot that Goodwill recycles E waste. Maybe call? They won't pickup but might be closer
Old 02-01-2018, 09:45 AM   #2993
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
:

Amazon often uses a larger box than needed. Considering that this is their life-blood, I just can't understand that they are not more efficient in this regard.

-ERD50

On the packaging, they sent me a survey requesting feedback on their packaging. I was impressed and told them so but the packaging continues to be crazy. I bought a pair of windshield wiper blades. They shipped them separately on two boxes big enough for a dozen blades each.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:46 AM   #2994
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
Yep. Try finding Chicago-style deep dish pizza outside of Chicago.
The worst is the 'Sicilian' style pizza sold by a local pizza chain. I doubt if a Sicilian would recognize the stuff. It's all in the imagination of some marketing person.

And don't get me started on how Starbucks mis-labeled the 'latté'.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:54 AM   #2995
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I always enjoy question marks at the end of statements?
So I always enjoy statements that start with the word "So".........
Old 02-01-2018, 10:05 AM   #2996

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
People who say "I would of done it anyway." When did of replace have?
When did "of" replace have?
Old 02-01-2018, 12:43 PM   #2997

Y'all ain't from around here, are you?
Old 02-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #2998
Full time employment: Posting here.

Put the tv back,up on Facebook this morning and someone messaged me, then picked it up in an hour. Seemed happy to have so glad it’s gone. I think the plan was to try and watch the Super Bowl this weekend, then try to sell it. Hopefully they will get a few bucks for it.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:21 PM   #2999

Foreign young people on Youtube who are speaking English with perfect American accents. Swedes, Germans, Spanish, Russians, everything. Not all of them, but a lot. It bugs me, for some reason. Too much globalization, maybe?
Old 02-02-2018, 06:58 PM   #3000

Or maybe they care enough to learn proper english?
Or they haven't learned any colloquialisms yet?