Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #3101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Why would you even notice that? It's very common in many places to use "guys" as a simple, informal, generic term for "ladies and gentlemen."
As a wise, wise guy once said:
Quote:
"...as time goes on, meanings of words shift."
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2018, 01:56 PM   #3102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
DH and I walked through a Crate & Barrel last week and were called “guys” by three different staff people: one a 30-something, two of them our age; two women, one man. Next time we will toy with them and call them “guys” right back. Would that be wrong?
That term used to bother my father to no end. Me, I'd rather be called that than 'ma'am'
Old 03-06-2018, 02:19 PM   #3103

Quote:
DH and I walked through a Crate & Barrel last week and were called “guys” by three different staff people: one a 30-something, two of them our age; two women, one man. Next time we will toy with them and call them “guys” right back. Would that be wrong?
DW and I used to find this mildly annoying; now we just find it mildly amusing.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:20 PM   #3104

I refer to everyone as "you guys". Men, women, kids, it doesn't matter. They are all "you guys". Maybe it's a regional thing.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
Old 03-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #3105

In NY/NJ isn't it pronounced "youse guyz" ??
Old 03-06-2018, 02:23 PM   #3106
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"Hello, Sailor....new in town?"

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 03-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #3107

MY PP today is efiling federal income taxes. For identification of the filer, the program asks for last year's AGI for me as well as DW. Since we filed a joint return my engineer's brain struggles with the questions of "did you file a return last year" followed by "did DW file a return last year?" Dammit, WE filed A return last year! OK, that's my NT Meyer's Briggs profile talking.

But then, it gets rejected because either one or both PIN numbers are wrong OR one or both AGIs are wrong (nah, nah, we aren't going to tell you which!). After gyrating through verifying these multiple combinations, I noticed HRB at Home "helpfully" pre-populated last year's AGI for me, but it's wrong. It's also "grayed out" so I can't change it. Google google google, ah! I have to right-click on the field and override it.

Finally! It gets accepted. Meanwhile, DW is seeing all these emails about IRS rejecting the returns and is convinced either I'm an idiot or someone is trying to hijack our refund.

Sorry, but I feel better now. It's beer-o'clock.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:01 PM   #3108
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Why would you even notice that? It's very common in many places to use "guys" as a simple, informal, generic term for "ladies and gentlemen."
Eh, I didn’t notice it until DH called it to my attention—he’s on a “guys” and “no problem” (in lieu of “you’re welcome”) snit. I’ll be sure to tell him you don’t think he should notice it.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:00 PM   #3109
Recycles dryer sheets

The “no problem” gets me too. We have a fine dining favorite restaurant where I’ve heard it. I find that discourteous. The counter thought goes through my mind that what I have thanked you for is actually your job. It’s a given it’s no problem. The phrase doesn’t belong in the service industry.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:30 AM   #3110

Quote:
It's very common in many places to use "guys" as a simple, informal, generic term for "ladies and gentlemen."
Not in any civilized country.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #3111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Not in any civilized country.
Yea, but we are talking about the USA here.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:18 AM   #3112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Eh, I didn’t notice it until DH called it to my attention—he’s on a “guys” and “no problem” (in lieu of “you’re welcome”) snit. I’ll be sure to tell him you don’t think he should notice it.
I agree with your DH. Saying "you're welcome" sounds very condescending when someone thanks you. I prefer the phrase I heard in South Africa "my pleasure".

My pet peeve is the colors combos on most packages in the grocery store. Who comes up with white print on a light orange package. Who over the age of 30 can read that garbage?

I complained to one manufacture, they sent me a coupon for a free product? WTF? Did you hear me say that I can't read the directions on your product? How about a magnifying glass?
Old 03-12-2018, 07:51 PM   #3113
Give me a forum ...

Here's a peeve. How can this English be correct? Would we say this conversationally?

"The Attorneys general's brothers-in-law's neighborhoods have many culs-de-sac."

How on earth could a non-native learn this madness?
Old 03-12-2018, 08:43 PM   #3114

Around these parts, "you guys" is translated to "yinz". ie. "Yinz are going to the mall, let me put my shoes on , and I'll go with you." or " Yinz need any help?" Never drops an eyelash around here.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:36 AM   #3115
Give me a forum ...

Radio 'News' Announcers who insist on saying "in-term" instead of "interim"........(While I'm yelling "Geez, you're on the **** radio, speak the **** language!" )

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 03-13-2018, 11:12 AM   #3116
Give me a forum ...

None today. Maybe find one tomorrow.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:37 AM   #3117
Give me a forum ...

I do tax returns for a friend and a few relatives. It seems that as long as they don't have to pay anything in addition to what was withheld that they are happier than pigs in mud... they seem to have no appreciation for if the are getting a sizeable refund that they have made the government a tax-free loan... and these are otherwise pretty smart people... drives me crazy.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 03-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #3118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I agree with your DH. Saying "you're welcome" sounds very condescending when someone thanks you. I prefer the phrase I heard in South Africa "my pleasure".

My pet peeve is the colors combos on most packages in the grocery store. Who comes up with white print on a light orange package. Who over the age of 30 can read that garbage?

I complained to one manufacture, they sent me a coupon for a free product? WTF? Did you hear me say that I can't read the directions on your product? How about a magnifying glass?
How does you're welcome sounds condescending? I don't have an issue with you're welcome, my pleasure, or no problem, they are just ways of acknowledging someone's Thank You. In fact if someone says Thank you, no response at all seems awkward.

My favorite thank you story comes from my then 3 year old GD. At meals 3 years olds need help with lots of things. One mealtime after about 5 or 6 thank yous she decided that was plenty and told her Mother. "I'm tired of saying Thank you!
pet peeve
Old 03-13-2018, 03:06 PM   #3119
Dryer sheet wannabe

pet peeve

people who spend more time figuring out their basketball bracket and fantasy football scores than figuring out how to retire not broke.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:47 PM   #3120
Give me a forum ...

Folks who have no sense of time, today it's the dog groomer. I think there's a new groomer in our dogs future.

I set an alarm to get the dogs in there before her 8:00 AM shut off. No problem. The fact you charge twice what I usually pay? No problem. When I asked for an estimate of when I could pick them up? 1-2 PM OK, you'll call me for sure. At 3:30 DW calls to make sure we haven't missed your call. Oh you haven't started our dogs yet? It will be another hour or two? Really?
Closed Thread