Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 01:07 PM   #3301
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
People who want their groceries rung up in separate orders. I was behind two women at Costco today and they actually split it into 3 orders: Woman #1, Woman #2 (likely not a member, using Woman #1's card), and then a giant box of K-cups of coffee to be rung up separately because she was buying it for her office. I guess it's too much for the bean counters to look for the coffee in a receipt that contains anything else, then calculate the sales tax.

Fortunately, Costco's staff are pretty efficient so the delay wasn't too long.
There are legitimate reasons that they each want an original receipt (she would lose her original if she has to hand over the original to work - and maybe she doesn't care for work to see what else she buys at Costco?), or just need an easy way to keep the costs completely separate. DW does this when she does the grocery shopping for herself and her mother. Just show the receipt total to her Mom, who wants to pay for her stuff, don't try to break it down with all the weird descriptions on the receipt after the fact.

As long as they don't get the total, and then start digging into their purse to get a checkbook, and then more digging to find a pen, and then ask if they can take an out of State check, and then start digging for their ID, or spend 5 minutes digging through their purse for nickles and pennies because they want to pay with exact change - now that bothers me!

-ERD50
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2018, 03:31 PM   #3302
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I guess it's too much for the bean counters to look for the coffee in a receipt that contains anything else, then calculate the sales tax.
It was too difficult for the first megacorp I worked for. They sent me to the Big Easy one time and I had lunch at this terrific place in the French Quarter. I liked it so much I bought a t-shirt as I was leaving.

Unfortunately, I did not pay for the t-shirt separately. I figured I'd submit the receipt, expense the lunch portion, and it'd be obvious why I did not submit the total amount for reimbursement.

Well, after an email exchange, a couple of phone calls, and a meeting with the Director of Finance, it was decreed that I should just let megacorp pay for the t-shirt because it was no longer worth the time trying to reconcile my expense report with the receipt.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:57 PM   #3303
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
It was too difficult for the first megacorp I worked for. They sent me to the Big Easy one time and I had lunch at this terrific place in the French Quarter. I liked it so much I bought a t-shirt as I was leaving.

Unfortunately, I did not pay for the t-shirt separately. I figured I'd submit the receipt, expense the lunch portion, and it'd be obvious why I did not submit the total amount for reimbursement.

Well, after an email exchange, a couple of phone calls, and a meeting with the Director of Finance, it was decreed that I should just let megacorp pay for the t-shirt because it was no longer worth the time trying to reconcile my expense report with the receipt.
Wow- what a waste of high-power time! I guess I was wrong about bean-counters.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:58 PM   #3304
Give me a forum ...

OK... my peeve today is my sprinkler system...

The thing breaks down all the time... it is frustrating...

So today I fix a rubber tube (I did not know I had them until I dug it up last week and had to buy more parts) and extended the head to a new location that is better... now time to test... and I see water bubbling up at a different head... crap..

Start to dig around this head and I see two white pipes that do NOT go to this head and at least two and up to four roots that are at least 1/2 inch... the riser was busted so I replaced it... and it fixed that BUT something else is wrong down there as water is still bubbling up, just not as much...

While cursing at the problem I look over and another head it leaning over and not spraying where it is supposed to be spraying...

And I have not even started what I wanted to do with the system... change out a number of pop up head and some short riser pipes to long riser pipes to get the spray to work now that we have added rocks around the flower beds...

I probably have a minimum of 10 heads I have to deal with

Before getting married my motto was 'if it can't live on its own it does not deserve to live'... which also included my grass!!! And I had some of the hardest grass around.. really deep roots...
Old 06-14-2018, 04:47 PM   #3305

People who get the words to, too, and two mixed up.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
Old 06-14-2018, 06:11 PM   #3306
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential

Me too, to, two
Old 06-14-2018, 06:41 PM   #3307
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
Et tu?
Old 06-14-2018, 07:14 PM   #3308

Drivers who will do anything to save one car length.
Example: I come to an intersection with 2 left turn lanes. I'm the 1st one there, & I choose the right because I have to make a right shortly after.
As I see more cars approaching from behind, 90% of the time, the 1st one to arrive will go to the left lane. The problem is, about 50% of the time, that car is going to take the same right turn I am. When that’s the case, one of 3 things happens.

They take off really fast in order to get ahead of me in time to get into the proper lane (I have no problem with that, if they want to waste their gas, no skin off my back)

They have to slowdown, & maybe have a problem getting back in the required lane, because of cars behind me (in the lane they should have chosen to begin with)

It's rare, because I’ve probably went through that intersection 1000 times in the last 15 years, but at least twice, they basically cut me off to get back in the proper lane.

All that, just to save that one spot ?
Old 06-14-2018, 08:21 PM   #3309

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
Today on the cable news crawl they used “creditable” when they meant “credible.” Therefore, that crawl was neither.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:39 PM   #3310

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Et tu?
No, I know the difference. I guess it's nitpicking. But we are all guilty to some extent, I think, of nitpicking.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
Old 06-15-2018, 05:48 AM   #3311

When you stop at a 4-way stop intersection and there is someone there already stopped waiting for you to come to a stop before they go. Why are you waiting? The point is to control traffic flow. Just stop and when it's your turn then go. You don't have to wait for me to stop! And if you're worried if I won't stop and I'll hit you, there ain't much you can do about it. So just stop and go and quit holding up traffic.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:36 AM   #3312

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
When you stop at a 4-way stop intersection and there is someone there already stopped waiting for you to come to a stop before they go. Why are you waiting? The point is to control traffic flow. Just stop and when it's your turn then go. You don't have to wait for me to stop! And if you're worried if I won't stop and I'll hit you, there ain't much you can do about it. So just stop and go and quit holding up traffic.
Yes there is something I can do to prevent you from hitting me. I can wait for you to stop! Sorry, but I have seen too many people blow through a 4-way stop. I always wait for the other traffic to at least acknowledge the stop by slowing down.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:13 AM   #3313

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
Drivers who will do anything to save one car length.
Example: I come to an intersection with 2 left turn lanes. I'm the 1st one there, & I choose the right because I have to make a right shortly after.
As I see more cars approaching from behind, 90% of the time, the 1st one to arrive will go to the left lane. The problem is, about 50% of the time, that car is going to take the same right turn I am. When that’s the case, one of 3 things happens.

They take off really fast in order to get ahead of me in time to get into the proper lane (I have no problem with that, if they want to waste their gas, no skin off my back)

They have to slowdown, & maybe have a problem getting back in the required lane, because of cars behind me (in the lane they should have chosen to begin with)

It's rare, because I’ve probably went through that intersection 1000 times in the last 15 years, but at least twice, they basically cut me off to get back in the proper lane.

All that, just to save that one spot ?

What I love is that I usually end up in front of such drivers!
Old 06-15-2018, 08:17 AM   #3314
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
I always wait for the other traffic to at least acknowledge the stop by slowing down.
+1. If I can't be clear of the intersection before that other car reaches the limit line, then I want to see evidence that he/she plans to stop.

There's a lot of info that gets communicated informally when in a car. Example: If there's a driver wanting to turn right on red and checking to see if it is clear, it seems very foolish for a pedestrian (who has the right of way) to step into the crosswalk before making eye contact with the driver to be sure he won't get run down. Too many driver's make those right turns without re-checking that both crosswalks are clear.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:26 AM   #3315
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
........it seems very foolish for a pedestrian (who has the right of way) to step into the crosswalk before making eye contact with the driver to be sure he won't get run down......
Which is why I absolutely hate cars / trucks with darkly tinted windows. Whether walking or driving, I'm looking for that eye contact.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:26 AM   #3316
Give me a forum ...

One of the residual benefits of 7+ years driving in Saudi Arabia is the supposition that everyone else on the road is trying to kill me - therefore I drive accordingly.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 06-15-2018, 09:26 AM   #3317
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
People who want their groceries rung up in separate orders. I was behind two women at Costco today and they actually split it into 3 orders: Woman #1, Woman #2 (likely not a member, using Woman #1's card), and then a giant box of K-cups of coffee to be rung up separately because she was buying it for her office. I guess it's too much for the bean counters to look for the coffee in a receipt that contains anything else, then calculate the sales tax.

Fortunately, Costco's staff are pretty efficient so the delay wasn't too long.
I do this from time to time. Since I am a pretty organized fellow, it may add up to 22 seconds to my check-out time. Perhaps you are a bit to rushed?

Now, if they are dong things like "Did you put your Costco Card away? Can you get it out again? Which credit card should I use? Oh, I don't have a Visa card, can you use yours and I will Venmo the money to you?" etc. etc. etc. Well, that is a different story.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:38 AM   #3318
Give me a forum ...

Some so called science reporter who said that Blue Origin's rocket - New Shepard - cannot achieve orbit because "it doesn't go high enough". Maybe he thinks the Earth is flat like a pancake??

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #3319

Do-gooders who cause dangerous traffic situations by waving some other driver into who-knows-what situation, thinking they are doing the other driver a favor.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:49 AM   #3320
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Which is why I absolutely hate cars / trucks with darkly tinted windows. Whether walking or driving, I'm looking for that eye contact.
I won't rely on eye contact anymore and none really should. When I was in the mill one job I had was the log yard. We ran a huge 4 wheeled log loader for loading/unloading trucks. I needed to talk to the operator about where I needed a load of logs moved to. I looked and made eye contact with him and proceeded to put myself in between the 8' wheels. He put in reverse and took off! He hadn't seen me until I jumped onto the side of the machine. He would not have even felt it as he squashed me like a bug. Never again have I counted on reading someone seeing me.
Closed Thread