Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 06:06 PM   #3441
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tech support departments that will call you back (good), but when you answer, you still have to wait on hold (bad).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2018, 06:07 PM   #3442
Give me a forum ...

I called suddenlink for tech support when the chat alternatives didn't work.

After "Press 1 for English," they had "Press 1 if anyone in your house is over 50." If you press 1, they have an ad for one of those "I've fallen and can't get up" devices.

I call for support, and I have to listen to an advertisement?
Old 07-27-2018, 06:28 PM   #3443
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
I'm happy to be able to report a nice outcome to my frustrating experience with Best Buy.
I'm retracting this statement.

As I mentioned on Monday, the Best Buy associate I talked to said she'd found the cables to the monitor I'd bought and was "express" shipping them to me.

I waited until Thursday evening and still had not received them. I called Best Buy again and the same associate answered. This time she promised they would be "overnighted" and sent me an email with a UPS tracking number that showed delivery for today (Friday).

Earlier this afternoon, I plugged the tracking number into UPS's website. It showed that the package has not been tendered to UPS for shipment. As of right now, the status says: "A UPS shipping label has been created. Once the shipment arrives at our facility, the tracking status--including the scheduled delivery date--will be updated."
Old 07-30-2018, 06:49 PM   #3444

Dogs that squeak rather than bark. Have one next door and one across the street. Driving me batty.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:07 PM   #3445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Dogs that squeak rather than bark. Have one next door and one across the street. Driving me batty.
I know what you mean! I used to have a neighbor with a little rat dog with a bark that sounded for all the world like it had just had a paw stepped on (I know they didn't abuse that dog). Thankfully it was kept inside except to do its duty, but when they let it out DW and I would jerk bolt upright.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:08 PM   #3446
Give me a forum ...

"Barking cats, I calls 'em."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 07-31-2018, 11:44 AM   #3447

Those little barcode stickers on produce. I remember the day when the checkout person knew what things were. Perhaps we just have too many choices to keep track of today. The world is awash in plastic it seems. I bought a bag of apples at Costco yesterday - every apple in the bag had a sticker on it. The bag of course had its own barcode.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:38 AM   #3448

Salespeople who seem to want to make you look like an idiot for asking if they carry something they don't have.

We went into a carpet store yesterday looking for peel-and-stick carpet tiles. We see them offered at many places online, but wanted to buy them from a store so we could look at them first to make sure the color and texture were what we wanted. When we asked the salesman if they had them, he said, "I've been in the carpet business for 40 years, and never in my 40 years of being in this business have I ever seen peel-and-stick carpet." Wwwhuuut? They're all over the place online, including on the site peelandstickcarpettiles.com! We were so annoyed we just said oh, ok, and left.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:12 AM   #3449
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm tired of listening to my elderly friends complain.

Complain about neighbors, complain about medical problems, complain about nurses, complain about insurance, and
COMPLAIN ABOUT HOW THEIR KIDS DON'T WANT TO TALK LONG ON THE PHONE OR VISIT THEM ANYMORE.

I'm with the kids: STFU already with the complaining.

But I would really rather these people go back to being the interesting conversationalists they were before their worlds became so tiny. It's actually very sad.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:26 AM   #3450

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretah View Post

Complain about neighbors, complain about medical problems, complain about nurses, complain about insurance, and
COMPLAIN ABOUT HOW THEIR KIDS DON'T WANT TO TALK LONG ON THE PHONE OR VISIT THEM ANYMORE.

But I would really rather these people go back to being the interesting conversationalists they were before their worlds became so tiny. It's actually very sad.
+1000

Can I add to your excellent post? People who don't see when they create their own problems, such as your example above. Especially in those "old enough to know better".
Old 08-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #3451

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post
+1000

Can I add to your excellent post? People who don't see when they create their own problems, such as your example above. Especially in those "old enough to know better".
This includes older folks who are nearly impossible to have a conversation with because they can't hear and won't get hearing aids! My mom falls into this category, keeps complaining about how she can't understand what people are saying because they don't speak distinctly. She sometimes admits she can't hear well, but won't do anything about it. Come on, mom, use yer noggin!
Old 08-20-2018, 12:30 PM   #3452
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
This includes older folks who are nearly impossible to have a conversation with because they can't hear and won't get hearing aids! My mom falls into this category, keeps complaining about how she can't understand what people are saying because they don't speak distinctly. She sometimes admits she can't hear well, but won't do anything about it. Come on, mom, use yer noggin!
For the last 10 years, every phone I’ve ever talked to my mom on has been faulty because she can’t hear me well.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:10 PM   #3453
Give me a forum ...

Web sites that don't make it easy to find the price of some service. You often need to start the signup process before you get it.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:20 PM   #3454
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

+1

One of the nicest compliments DW and I ever received from a group of teens and twentysomethings this summer at a social gathering was "you two don't seem that old, you don't complain about anything!"
Old 08-21-2018, 02:34 PM   #3455
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Does anyone else see the irony of this post in the Pet Peeves thread?
Old 08-21-2018, 02:39 PM   #3456
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Does anyone else see the irony of this post in the Pet Peeves thread?
Reminds me of the famous Aztec city my dad was always telling me about when I was a kid: Quitcherbichin
Old 08-21-2018, 05:32 PM   #3457
Give me a forum ...

One of mine is happening as we speak....

Called a mobile company to get a new SIM card for DW as she lost hers overseas... I called over a month ago and they said just come by a store and you can get a new one... well, they did NOT tell me that meant I was signing up for a new plan which I did not want to do..

So, when DW got home last week called to have them send a new SIM... this was Wed... paid $10 for expedited shipping... 2 days business... seems they waited until Thurs to place the order... so instead of Fri we were expecting it on Mon... but, we got it today!!!

I have been on the phone for 45 50+ minutes TRYING to get a refund for the $10 shipping fee... spent 20 minutes with one stupid person who could not figure out what happened and then tried to explain weekend days do not count... I said no matter how you count you did not make two days.. "OH, OK, I will send you to refunds".... really? Twenty minutes and you cannot even give me a refund?

SOOO, have been talking to another lady and she is now up to 30 minutes trying to get me a refund!!! But does not seem to be able to do so... keeps telling me "wait, I am almost done" for over 10 minutes...
Old 08-21-2018, 06:53 PM   #3458
Recycles dryer sheets

People who walk out of a meeting room and stop to bullshit and block the walking space.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:17 PM   #3459

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
Salespeople who seem to want to make you look like an idiot for asking if they carry something they don't have.
Or something they DO have, and it's even in the weekly circular. "No, we've never carried that item!"
Old 08-21-2018, 07:37 PM   #3460
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
People who walk out of a meeting room and stop to bullshit and block the walking space.

+1000